Rusty frame help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

Name: Julie
Trailer: trail mite
Washington
Smile Rusty frame help

Hi, Does anyone in the Puget Sound area know someone that fixes or restores camper frames? I love all of you that have done incredible restorations but I have neither the skills or space. Thank you, Julie
jbenkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #2

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Check with fabrication and/or welding business's in your local area.

Any competent fabricator/welder can repair or rebuild your rusty chassis.

Depending upon the make and model of your camper there are new frames available for Boler trailers. You can perform a search here on this site for further contact information.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Don't know how serious your rust problem is but, as a starting point have you checked out Rustolem's web site for dealing with rusty metal? Just a starting point.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:57 PM   #4

Washington
Thank you! I thought I would ask about specific help first but I will inquire with local fabricators/welders. I have a 72 Trail Mite, a vertical egg. Isn't your U Haul vertical design as well?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I'd check with any of several local shops that sell and repair construction and horse trailers for that kind of repair work. They could probably fabricate a whole new frame and put a brand new axle on it for you, and then reattach your fiberglass shell to it. If the trailer frame is really that bad, paint isn't going to make it structurally sound, and weakness in certain spots on travel trailer frames is quite common, especially if they've been compromised through many years of neglect. Check the Yellow Pages for a place that repairs trailers. They are set up for that type of project.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I would suggest looking for companies in the areas south or north of Seattle for the best prices. The companies inside the metro area can't even begin to stay competitive on price for welding work due to cost of the land, rent, insurance, property taxes and employee pay. So if you get sticker shock estimates just realize they do have high overhead cost inside the metro area.

However there is one company in Seattle I know of that will build a frame for a small travel trailer. https://www.mannswelding.com/

Having just been involved in creating a new frame for my trailer I can tell you that there was a full 4 days of labor involved plus of course the cost of materials. I did not hire a company to do the work. I am fortunate to have highly skilled (retired) friends with all the tools and workshop space needed. So my new trailer frame is a DIY project but it was done by a team of professionals, volunteered labor. I am a very wealthy woman when it comes to having good friends.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:22 PM   #7

Name: dust in
Trailer: Boler Trailer
British Columbia
If the frame is only rusted check by poking around the rust area with a nail to see how damaging that the rust has gone and check for fine hair line cracks too . If that rust is penetrated the material and left small pin holes then you are starting to have problems beyond just rust....get an opinion on the integrity of the whole frame but for sure around the rust areas by a metal man / body man etc. If you are able and the damage is more then superficial and you can or able to consider a new frame...My frame on my 73 Boler had many years to age gracefully as they all will and the result of all those years the frame developed cancer and cracks. Masking over those areas with bits and pieces of steel can work for a time to see you through but I thought it best and more reassuring if I just got a new frame built...so I had a local trailer outfit who makes trailer build me a new frame which was now aluminum ....their standards are high the results have been excellent and I do not have any more worries..hope this helps you. Dustin.
dust-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:43 PM   #8

Name: Reinout
Trailer: In the Market
WA
@jbenkovich There is rust and then there is RUST. Our 2006 Scamp has surface rust which isn't a concern but should be addressed as someone else already said with a treatment such as Rustoleum.

Since you're in the So. Puget area I'd suggest going to a local RV or trailer place:

In Fife we have a few good ones such as Blue Dog RV, Tacoma RV, Camping World and Poulsbo RV. I'm sure they'll be able to point you in a great direction.
Reinout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Machinists, Inc. in S. Seattle area repaired our trailer frame when we got our 1973 Amerigo FG-16. Paul used to work there and knows the welders; they do a good job.

Worth getting a price quote; don't know what they'll charge. Ours was done in 2015.

BEST
"K"
Old 11-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #10

Washington
Paint won't take care of the frame on my 72 Trail Mite, so I appreciate all your suggestions about different machinists and possible businesses to check out. A good winter project. Thanks to you all!
Old 11-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The least expensive place we found in Seattle to buy the steel for the frame was the pipe yard at Ballard Industrial Hardware. They were significantly lower in price than other much better known sources in the region. Ballard Industrial Hardware's pipe yard saved me hundreds of dollars over the competitor's prices. https://www.ballardindustrial.com/About_Us

Six Robblees is the local Puget Sound region place to go for axle, springs, brakes, A frame coupler (hitch ball receiver) should you be in need of any of those.
https://sixrobblees.com/locations
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #12

Name: Colleen
Trailer: Boler
Idaho
Registry
I had Mann's build a new trailer frame for my 1980 Boler...did a great job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I would suggest looking for companies in the areas south or north of Seattle for the best prices. The companies inside the metro area can't even begin to stay competitive on price for welding work due to cost of the land, rent, insurance, property taxes and employee pay. So if you get sticker shock estimates just realize they do have high overhead cost inside the metro area.

However there is one company in Seattle I know of that will build a frame for a small travel trailer. https://www.mannswelding.com/

Having just been involved in creating a new frame for my trailer I can tell you that there was a full 4 days of labor involved plus of course the cost of materials. I did not hire a company to do the work. I am fortunate to have highly skilled (retired) friends with all the tools and workshop space needed. So my new trailer frame is a DIY project but it was done by a team of professionals, volunteered labor. I am a very wealthy woman when it comes to having good friends.
ccaffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:52 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
painting the frame

Thank you for your frame painting comment of my spring jobs. I am taking to my mechanics shop and putting it on the lift to do a better job.

using a produce suggested here ZTR galvenizing paint I got it off Amazon. Hope it does a good job.

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinout View Post
@jbenkovich There is rust and then there is RUST. Our 2006 Scamp has surface rust which isn't a concern but should be addressed as someone else already said with a treatment such as Rustoleum.

Since you're in the So. Puget area I'd suggest going to a local RV or trailer place:

In Fife we have a few good ones such as Blue Dog RV, Tacoma RV, Camping World and Poulsbo RV. I'm sure they'll be able to point you in a great direction.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote