RV Genesis 3.0 Radio Installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
RV Genesis 3.0 Radio Installation

I have been planning to install a stereo system in my Escape 19 for some time and originally experimented with a dual-DIN auto CD/DVD player, but I didn't like much about it. It ran warm, the touchscreen was fiddly and the remote was cheap. The amplifier was pretty good, but I could cook an egg on the back of the unit. I wound up taking it back.

Looking at some of the RV electronics available online, I saw one of the Concertone RV Genesis GT-3.0 DVD radios on eBay a couple weeks ago. It was missing the remote and plug-in connectors and was supposed to have a problem playing discs, which was okay with me as I mainly wanted the Bluetooth, radio and 5.1 audio decoder. The amplifier also supports two additional stereo output channels, one I will use outdoors and one in the dinette area.

The auction closed at just $20 plus $25 shipping. I was able to find the connectors for $14 and a remote for $11. To my surprise, when the radio arrived last week everything worked including the DVD/CD player.!Now I had to find room for mounting, and the only likely spot in my 2009 Escape 19 that is tall enough is the rear overhead cabinet, shoehorned between the two access doors.

Currently, that spot is occupied by the Carbon monoxide sensor, but that's small enough to relocate, and I can steal its 12V power right there!

I picked up one of those weird square Canadian screwdrivers at Harbor Freight and pulled the CO monitor. Then I did a bit of measuring and confirmed that I could just squeeze the panel between the existing cabinet doors with a 3/8 inch clearance from the doors, but the top and bottom clearances would require a 1/2 inch bite into the lower brace inside the cabinet, and 1" bite into the upper brace.

Masking tape was used to mark the required cutout and the bulk of the sawing was done with a multi tool and half moon sawblade. I cut about 1/8 inch oversize, and just a tiny cleanup cut was required in the left top corner to square things up. The radio slid right into place and is powered using the former CO Monitor DC power.

The next step will be to install the 5.1 speakers. I am planning to use five Yamaha NS-AW-150W indoor/outdoor speakers under the cabinets ($200 for six, new) and possibly a Kicker 8-inch powered subwoofer (about $300 new).
Attached Thumbnails
image-2527126583.jpg  
Old 08-29-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Now that's camping.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Carbon monoxide sensor is only supposed to be about 3' off the floor. At least that is what the instructions on my home unit say. I don't have one in the trailer; just smoke and propane.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
FYI - Those 'weird' Canadian square headed screws are called 'Robertson Screws' (with a Canadian patent); and are generally considered to be way better than the old 'slot' or 'crossed' screws generally used south of '49'. They are premium priced in the USA.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
FYI - Those 'weird' Canadian square headed screws are called 'Robertson Screws' (with a Canadian patent); and are generally considered to be way better than the old 'slot' or 'crossed' screws generally used south of '49'. They are premium priced in the USA.
I love Robertson Screws, save and reuse them in our camper.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
That is a really clean install. Looks better than factory.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote