Hi everyone, my husband and I are the new owners of a 13’ Scamp! We are about to make some changes to the floorplan and I wanted to check to see if there are any reasons some of our ideas are literally impossible to accomplish. Best to know now before we rip into the trailer!
We have a baby and plan for more kids and want a private bathroom that will someday have a shower, so we need to adjust multiple elements to make it work. Here are the changes. Warning: these will completely change the floor-plan:
1. Remove the front bunks, placing a small bathroom on right side (not driver’s side as is usual). No closet. Currently we plan to use the room mostly for nighttime feeding the baby, but will turn it into a shower/bathroom down the road. Measurements will be exactly like a deluxe Scamp’s front bathroom, but just a mirror image, since ours would be on the right and not left side.
2. Remove the kitchenette on driver’s side and build bunks to fit from the end of the double bed to the front wall of the camper (driver’s side).
3. Remove storage closet next to camper door and place 20”x24” self-built/designed kitchenette (yup, we know it’s tiny). This will have a skinny bar sink and 12”-wide 2-burner cooktop on the counter. A small countertop will be able to fold up just over the double bed to give a bit of counter space. Set inside the lower portion of the new kitchenette will be the AC unit, since it is currently in the storage closet in that area.
4. We plan to build ceiling storage above the kitchenette and under-mount a small toaster oven (we may not put the toaster oven, I haven’t found a unit yet that works for the space). We also want to create ceiling shelves around all three walls above the double bed/dining area.
5. We’d like to design a small fridge
into the side bunks so that the lower bed rests above the fridge
6. Since we are removing or moving so much, we will place the following supports: 26”-wide wall floor-to-ceiling between double bed and end of bunk. Floor-to-ceiling wall from camper door to side of bunk to close off the bathroom (this isn’t running the entire width of the camper, but 2/3. The bunk will extend back farther than the wall behind driver’s side. 24”-wide Floor-to-ceiling wall between new kitchenette and camper door. This will be attached to the kitchenette and the upper storage. If needed, we may also put a small square metal tube on the other side of the kitchenette if the weight
of the toaster oven needs it.
7. We will remove the floor carpet and replace with vinyl planks.
There you have it!
We do not plan to remove the “rat fur”, but will we need to in order to move wiring/propane/plumbing for the kitchenette?
Is there anything with the frame that makes it impossible to put a bathroom on the right-front side of the camper instead of the usual left-front side?
Is it not possible to have the AC near the cooktop (it would sit in the cabinet below so wouldn’t be in contact with the cooktop but probably the propane
line could run nearby in the cabinet?). Any issue with having upper storage above the double bed area? We don’t plan to store anything heavy.
Also, there’s a lot of electrical
under the current bunks/sofa on driver’s’s side, so we plan to keep that there, since the end of the new bunks would sit over that area. Any potential problem with that?
Thanks, feel free to send your thoughts! If the design is good, it will stand up to criticism, and if not, then we’ll need to improve it, and criticism will be valuable for that! We are trying something I haven’t been able to find on any forums, but if any of you have done these changes before, please share any tips/advice! And pictures! Thanks so much!!
P.S. I will try to show a pic of the floorplan soon.