Scamp 13' best use of cabinet space - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #1

Name: Sunshine33
Trailer: Scamp
Delaware
Registry
Scamp 13' best use of cabinet space

Hi
We have only taken two trips with our "new to us" 2014 Scamp 13'. We were wondering if some of you would share your ideas for the best use of cabinet space...shelving, etc.
We really like our little Scamp . Looking forward to taking many trips, seeing many sights and meeting such nice people as we have already.
Thanks,
Ann and Joe
sUNSHINE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:21 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We also have a Scamp 13. This is my favorite storage mod. The bins are very lightweight, fit the closet perfectly, require no permanent attachments, latch together to make a stable tower, and keep contents from falling out. It took some looking to find the right size. These came from Big Lots.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closet bins.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	106095

We also use small crates from Walmart to store spices, cups, bowls, and other small items in the upper galley cabinet. We cook outside, so it's easy to carry the whole crate to wherever we have our camp kitchen set up.

Name:	Cabinet crates.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	106116
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #3

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We have a similar set up in our closet as Jon. We use our shelves for clothing and hang bath towels on the inside of the door.

Name:	December Phone Pics 086.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	106104

In our upper cabinets we store a small box that contains travel sized board games, crosswords, small coloring books, etc., the coffee pot and another small basket that contains paper cups, plates, coffee and tea, and another that contains small items like duct tape, cloths line, tiny rain poncho packets, and other odd misc items.

The sink cabinet contains cleaning supplies, trash bags, glasses, plates, a frying pan, lanterns, an inside sink drain container and batteries.

Name:	December Phone Pics 083.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	106103

Name:	December Phone Pics 084.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	106105

Under the sofa is our box of tools and chocks for the wheels and extra jack stands. We also store a small two person tent and the outdoor rug under there.

Name:	December Phone Pics 085.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	106106

We also store the sleeping bags and blankets for the bunk under the two interior spaces under the sofa, and the bedding for the dinette is under the dinette bench.

Because we are weekend/vacation campers, I keep what I call the 'Kitchen bag" and the "food bag" in the car. The kitchen bag contains our Coleman grill and all plates, cooking utensils, small propane containers, etc. for outdoor cooking. The food bag is all of our dry food items for the weekend/vacation trip. We also carry a cooler and utilize our icebox in the camper for cold items.

You'll figure out what works for you! Happy camping!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUNSHINE33 View Post
Hi
We have only taken two trips with our "new to us" 2014 Scamp 13'. We were wondering if some of you would share your ideas for the best use of cabinet space...shelving, etc.
We really like our little Scamp . Looking forward to taking many trips, seeing many sights and meeting such nice people as we have already.
Thanks,
Ann and Joe
Does your Scamp have the fiberglass end cabinets over the windows? Those add allot of storage. If you have the end cabinets a wire shelf between the closet and the end cabinet helps allot for storing soft stuff that may fall when traveling.
I also use a robo cup on the twisted steel supports by the sink

https://www.therobocup.com/
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #5

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Closet space

I built a shelf at the bottom of the closet in my 16 Std
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp2014 002.jpg   Scamp2014 001.jpg  

Scamp2014 003.jpg  
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #6

Name: Sunshine33
Trailer: Scamp
Delaware
Registry
Thanks for some suggestions. We have the bathroom in the front. Two cabinets above the sofa on each side of the trailer.
You all really get the most out of the allotted space. That's what we're looking to do.
Thanks again!
sUNSHINE33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
As you can see, we tiny trailer owners can eek out a ton of storage in our rigs. (I don't recommend carrying a "ton" of weight, though) Basically storage starts with the adage, "Less is More". Really try to travel with a minimum of "stuff". Take what is essential and leave the rest home. Start with what you might bring on a backpacking trip and add on some "luxuries" from there. We did custom build wood shelves in the closet and find that was our best organizing decision. We use plastic "shoe boxes" to store all the small loose items and label each box. They are the best size to fit in all the "nooks and crannies".

That said, you'll notice that my moniker is "The Gleeful Glamper". I admit that I like to make my trailer camping experience a bit more comfortable. I do that through changing decors, achieved mostly with curtain panels, toss pillows and throw blankets. But I digress.

Do run a "Search" on this website with the "Search" button. Go to the drop-down menu to "Google Search" and enter the words "storage" or "decorating" and you'll find many ideas. If you add my name, "Gilda", you'll find my posts specifically. In the meantime here are some photos of my rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Trinity Alps 2013 002 (5).jpg   Trinity Alps 2013 002 (3).jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 039.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 038.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
A few more photos...You can see the shelves, custom "shoe pockets" on the closet door (inside and outside), kitchen sink and upper cabinet organization.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 049.jpg   Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 050.jpg  

Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 052.jpg   Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 057.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 11:26 PM   #9

Name: Wes
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
MN
Storage in the front closet 16 Deluxe

We have a 2022 16 foot Deluxe, Layout B, and we were looking to improve storage in the front closet.
I found these standard bins made by Quantum - QUS240 - and it looked like they would be a good fit.
I wanted them to be free standing for easy removal, yet stable, so I took pairs of the bins and joined them using holes that were pre-existing in the bins and connecting them with a 1/4 - 20 threaded rod. (I did have to drill out the existing holes in the bins to accomodate a 1/4 inch diameter rod.)
I cut the rods using a hacksaw, and filed burrs off the ends. I threaded the nuts on prior to the cuts, as then removing the nut acts as a 'die' and makes sure the threads are functional.
I used a locking nut on one end of the rod and a standard 1/4-20 nut on the other, in case I wanted to modify or disassemble the stack easily.
I was able to easily stack 5 levels with the bins connected with the threaded rods. I added the 6th level by fitting the individual bins in and then simply joining the top bins with a bolt only through the two center holes.
There is still room in the closet for a broom and the stabilizer lowering tool.
Although we lost some room to hang clothing, rolling clothes and using the bins for clothing storage is a convenient alternative.
Our closet was a mishmash of smaller unrelated items and the bins with labels seemed like a good way to maximize storage and organization.
The inside dimensions of the bins are 14" x 6-9/16" x 6-3/4". Outside dimensions are 14-3/4" x 8-1/4" x 7".
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6829.jpg   IMG_6821.jpg  

IMG_6826.jpg   IMG_6827.jpg  

IMG_6825.jpg  
Wes S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 08:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes S View Post
We have a 2022 16 foot Deluxe, Layout B, and we were looking to improve storage in the front closet.

I found these standard bins made by Quantum - QUS240 - and it looked like they would be a good fit.

I wanted them to be free standing for easy removal, yet stable, so I took pairs of the bins and joined them using holes that were pre-existing in the bins and connecting them with a 1/4 - 20 threaded rod. (I did have to drill out the existing holes in the bins to accomodate a 1/4 inch diameter rod.)

I cut the rods using a hacksaw, and filed burrs off the ends. I threaded the nuts on prior to the cuts, as then removing the nut acts as a 'die' and makes sure the threads are functional.

I used a locking nut on one end of the rod and a standard 1/4-20 nut on the other, in case I wanted to modify or disassemble the stack easily.

I was able to easily stack 5 levels with the bins connected with the threaded rods. I added the 6th level by fitting the individual bins in and then simply joining the top bins with a bolt only through the two center holes.

There is still room in the closet for a broom and the stabilizer lowering tool.

Although we lost some room to hang clothing, rolling clothes and using the bins for clothing storage is a convenient alternative.

Our closet was a mishmash of smaller unrelated items and the bins with labels seemed like a good way to maximize storage and organization.

The inside dimensions of the bins are 14" x 6-9/16" x 6-3/4". Outside dimensions are 14-3/4" x 8-1/4" x 7".

Looks nice / great write up
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp