Scamp 13 towed by 4Runner. Where to add a bike? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 09:49 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Scamp 13 towed by 4Runner. Where to add a bike?

I just bought a 2015 Scamp 13 which I plan to tow with a 2004 4Runner. I need to bring along a 42 lb mountain bike and was wondering: what is the best way to carry that?

I noticed that Perfect Casita makes a receiver that attaches to the back of the Scamp 13. Is that an okay option? Maybe just for short distances like 100 miles or so?

On the other hand, a dual receiver with and upper receiver for a bike rack and a lower one to tow the Scamp is a possibility, but I have seen some people mention that there may not be enough space, that the jack near the front of the Scamp trailer might be in the way, and that the bike could get squished particularly when going around corners.

Anyway, what do people thing? What is the best option? The bike weighs about 42 lbs.
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Perhaps
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #3

Name: Tom
California
Maybe this will work for U
2 35+lb strand cruisers[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8993.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	130689[/ATTACH]
The bikes never move in and out in less than a min
Regards
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8991.JPG  
nofieldfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #4

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I just bought a 2015 Scamp 13 which I plan to tow with a 2004 4Runner. I need to bring along a 42 lb mountain bike and was wondering: what is the best way to carry that?

I noticed that Perfect Casita makes a receiver that attaches to the back of the Scamp 13. Is that an okay option? Maybe just for short distances like 100 miles or so?

On the other hand, a dual receiver with and upper receiver for a bike rack and a lower one to tow the Scamp is a possibility, but I have seen some people mention that there may not be enough space, that the jack near the front of the Scamp trailer might be in the way, and that the bike could get squished particularly when going around corners.

Anyway, what do people thing? What is the best option? The bike weighs about 42 lbs.

Wondering if anyone installs a front hitch with a bike rack? I have a 54 lb. e-bike that is too heavy for a rear hitch. Would love to hear pros and cons. This might be a solution, although a bit more money.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Must be one of those long-travel, downhill mountain bikes you see people pushing up hills rather than riding?

Jon (in AZ) posted something similar to Tom in another thread, and it's what I'm doing. I just prop my bike inside the camper.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #6

Name: Thomas
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
I have a 13 Scamp which I tow with as 2018 4 Runner. After trying several bike carrier combos we have settled on a Swagman Carrier. This mounts on an extended tow bar just behind the ball. We carry 2 Trek comfort bikes this way with ease. Do not put bikes on the back of a 13" Scamp. Most carrier Companies won't warrantee this because of the amount of bouncy motion.
TLane SOI 1119
TLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

California
TLane. Can you provide more details? Swagman makes a lot of stuff. How do you keep the bikes away from the jack on the Scamp? How do you create enough room between the 4Runner and the Scamp? What sort of receiver set-up do you have that enables you to have the bike rack and tow your Scamp 13 at the same time?

I am asking because a some people have had trouble with either the jack or the lack of space and bike getting damaged when the rig turns...
Old 07-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #8

California
Keeping it inside is not really an option for me. Nor is the roof, as it weighs too much. It has electric assist.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #9

California
good questions. Hope to hear from the community on this.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #10

California
I don't think so.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:16 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp 13 towed by 4Runner. Where to add a bike?

Extended ball mounts magnify the effect of hitch weight on the rear suspension due to the lever effect. They can also contribute to sway by exaggerating side-to-side motions at the ball. Some have additional connections that add looseness and noise. Many restrict tongue weight to 50% of the manufacturer rating. Read the fine print and proceed with caution.

For towing stability an extended trailer tongue is the best solution. With a lightweight frame like Scamp, though, extending the tongue to carry extra weight might also require some additional reinforcement of the rest of frame, which gets complicated.

Next best is a tongue rack that mounts over the battery and tank(s). A custom mount that allows the bike to fit close to the upper front shell should leave enough clearance for turns

No simple answers. What you really need is a Happier Camper HC1, the world’s only production 13’ all-molded toy-hauler. [emoji3]
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 PM   #12

California
Front mount receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I don't think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
Wondering if anyone installs a front hitch with a bike rack? I have a 54 lb. e-bike that is too heavy for a rear hitch. Would love to hear pros and cons. This might be a solution, although a bit more money.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I might go with that. Install a receiver hitch on the front of the 4 runner instead of trying to put a bike behind the scamp or between the TV and Scamp.

I still would love to hear back from the person who successfully is putting two bikes just behind their 4Runner while towing a Scamp.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #13

California
Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLane View Post
I have a 13 Scamp which I tow with as 2018 4 Runner. After trying several bike carrier combos we have settled on a Swagman Carrier. This mounts on an extended tow bar just behind the ball. We carry 2 Trek comfort bikes this way with ease. Do not put bikes on the back of a 13" Scamp. Most carrier Companies won't warrantee this because of the amount of bouncy motion.
TLane SOI 1119
I am impressed! A lot of people have trouble with this approach.

Can you show pictures or provide some details.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #14

Name: Penny
Montana
When I bought my expensive Kuat bike rack, the retailer told me that if I put the rack on the back of a trailer, the warranty for the rack would be void. That’s because the trailer does not have suspension to protect the rack or the bike. So I take the front wheel off my bike, but the tire in the RAV4 and the bike in my 13foot Scamp. You have to turn the handle bar a bit to get the bike in the Scamp. It works well.
Penny
Penny in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Jon (in AZ) posted something similar to Tom in another thread, and it's what I'm doing. I just prop my bike inside the camper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1952_1024.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	130893
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Built this about 15 years ago... works great!
below that is another version of the same basic design which I built for another Scamper....
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0045.JPG   IMG_7915.jpg 1.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #17

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I get the feeling that they aren’t meant for people towing travel trailers, but through Craigslist I found that swagman (and maybe others) sell hitch mount bike racks for towing. They slide over the ball mount you already use. I’d need to see one in person to feel ok about it, but they seem worth looking into.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hit...wing_Rack.aspx

Looks like they require a longer ball mount. Not sure what that does, if anything, to whatever geometry you’ve got going on with your setup. I’m definitely looking into this for myself, but I have doubts.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #18

Name: Lance
Trailer: Lil Bigfoot 1988 B13.5
Alberta
I use the clamp on version. I did get a longer ball mount bar to accommodate my tight receiver mount on my vehicle so the bike rack is not pressing against my bumper when installed. I got a 16" ball mount bar. With my 13 foot lil bigfoot that extra few inches doesn't make a difference in towing but I can mount my bike If I get a chance in the next few weeks I will take a picture of it mounted.

Curt Clamp-On 3 Bike Rack for 2" Ball Mounts - Towing
Item # C18013
Drtriumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #19

Name: Kevin
Texas
Roof & Hitch Bike Mounts

I use a Yakima platform bike rack on the Scamp’s bumper.
We tow with a small SUV. Sometimes a minivan.
I can feel a difference with the bikes back there on the Scamp’s bumper. It wobbles & seems squirrelly. Those are 30# all-mountain/enduro bikes, so it’s 60lb’s of bike + 30-40lb’s of rack... 100# on there causes some trouble. I just go slower and I use a WDH/anti-sway setup. Been all over the country with this. But you might want to keep your single bike on the roof or figure out how to haul it inside there to avoid the perils and risks mentioned above. A fork mount bolted onto the dinette area should do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
1FCB5398-4750-4BD0-8D10-2A311A85C245.jpeg   A3E0B384-8270-4904-9954-0C052FB645ED.jpg  

Doc.Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
42 lbs is really heavy for a modern mountain bike. full suspension cross-country bikes i'm seeing in the upper mid 20s, with big 29er wheels and everything. the downhill bikes with their triple-clamp motorcycle style forks are a bit heavier, for sure.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp