Scamp 16 ft information - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #1

Name: Christine
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Registry
Scamp 16 ft information

I recently purchased a 1995 Scamp 16 ft travel trailer. As of this moment, everything works. I have a toilet and would like to incorporate a shower. I've been reading a lot of the forums. My Scamp is not equipped with a hot water heater either. I want to know if these are possible. I am new to the world of RVing. I can do metalwork, but woodworking is not my strongpoint. I do know how to repair and install fiberglass (thanx to the Marine Corps). I do intend to replace all the current cabinets with plywood that I will stain and finish myself. I replaced the table in my Scamp with one I made from plywood. It's an amateur job but it will do for now. I've attached pictures of the table before and after. I've since tackled the bathroom door as well. Curtains and upholstery I can do myself. I want to know if the mods I want to do are possible. If I want to install a microwave, will I have to change my converter box as well as the breaker box? Any and all information is welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0163.jpg   IMG_0385.jpg  

IMG_0387.jpg  
Lowpaidnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up Oh, Donna D. do you remember...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpaidnurse View Post
I have a toilet and would like to incorporate a shower. I've been reading a lot of the forums. My Scamp is not equipped with a hot water heater either. I want to know if these are possible.

I want to know if the mods I want to do are possible. If I want to install a microwave, will I have to change my converter box as well as the breaker box? Any and all information is welcomed and greatly appreciated.
ANYTHING is possible if you put your mind to it. By the picture of the front corner of your trailer, I assume your 16' has a side "Bath" and a front "Couch" that makes Bunk-beds? Am I right?

There was a very detailed post of a Scamp 13' with a front "Bath" that did just what you want to do a few years back. I'll have to see if I can find it for you. You just need to do the same thing in a different spot. They bought the shower pan and wall panels from Scamp and after pulling the toilet reworked the space and added the new plumbing and re-installed the toilet.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpaidnurse View Post
I recently purchased a 1995 Scamp 16 ft travel trailer. As of this moment, everything works. I have a toilet and would like to incorporate a shower. I've been reading a lot of the forums. My Scamp is not equipped with a hot water heater either. I want to know if these are possible. I am new to the world of RVing. I can do metalwork, but woodworking is not my strongpoint. I do know how to repair and install fiberglass (thanx to the Marine Corps). I do intend to replace all the current cabinets with plywood that I will stain and finish myself. I replaced the table in my Scamp with one I made from plywood. It's an amateur job but it will do for now. I've attached pictures of the table before and after. I've since tackled the bathroom door as well. Curtains and upholstery I can do myself. I want to know if the mods I want to do are possible. If I want to install a microwave, will I have to change my converter box as well as the breaker box? Any and all information is welcomed and greatly appreciated.
Christine, A couple of pictures would help our understanding. Until then I'm going to make some assumptions.

We have a 1991 Scamp we purchased last year that looks similar to yours with kitchen counters on each side, a side bathroom across from the door and a front couch.

If my understanding of your trailer is correct, the hot water heater would be typically located under the sink cabinet. If there ever was a hot water heater you will find a grill or cut out on the outside of the trailer in this area. Mine had a cutout and I reinstalled the hot water heater. (Am I correct in assuming that your sink faucet has two handles, a hot and a cold?)

It sounds like you have a side bathroom across from the entrance door. Usually the side bathrooms have a built in boat shower (wet shower). If your's does there will be a drain in the floor and a dual handle faucet on the wall.

The breaker box is located under the kitchen sink. Ours had two breakers in it. There is room for four 15 amp breakers. We purchased a couple of breakers at Lowes and wired some additiona outlets into the trailer. You can add one for a microwave. We have chosen not to have a microwave, wanting the space instead. It's not necessary to change the breaker box but wise to add additional breakers to it.

The converter box, the device that converts AC to 12 volts does not need any modification for running the microwave. Microwaves run on 110 VAC and converters produce 12 volts from AC.

You can see most of our mods under Preparing a 1991 Scamp in the Modifications section of this site. Unfortunately I did not show the breaker box but I did add a number of outlets once I expanded the breaker box.

I really be happy to explain in more detail what I know about our Scamp 16.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Christine, my suggestion is to leave the cabinery alone. Fiberglass is easily cleaned and weighs less than plywood. You can change the doors out to whatever you want. We've seen doors of all types, kinds and beauty.

I think this is the post Frederick referenced: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-25793.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #5

Name: Christine
Trailer: Trillium
Texas
Registry
Thanks everyone. I only want to change the cabinet doors. I intend to leave the fiberglass cabinetry alone. The original owner replaced two of the cabinets with particle board and the frame work around the bath door is also. I will only change those. He put a fullsized medicine cabinet in the bathroom and discarded one of the bunks. I have no need for a medicine cabinet and now have to fix the gaping hole in the wall. I would like to install a hot water heater. My sink has only one faucet and there is no vent for the hot water heater. The original owner took out the original air conditioner and replaced it with a Frigidaire. I looked at the link that was sent by Donna. I will call Scamp and inquire about the factory bathroom stall. Thanks again, everyone.
Lowpaidnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Christine, my trailer is 23 years old. I have a Suburban... electric only hotwater heater. It's under the rear bench opposite side from the door. There is no outside vent for it. I have to lift the bench hatch to turn the water by-pass on or off. It does drain to the outside. I obviously only have hotwater from the tank when hooked up to power. For me, that's 99% of the time. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
A medicine cabinet need not be for medicines only. Storage space for various small items can really come in handy. Just a thought.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you post a photo of the bathroom that would help a lot. You may already have all that is needed regarding the stall portion but you will need a floor water pump, hotwater tank (mine is gas and located under the kitchen sink on the right hand side and all the water pipes from it run to the bathroom inside the trailer along the outer edge of the trailer - under the benches around the back and through the fridge and stove area to the bathroom. The hose from the floor water pump runs on the underside of the trailer back to the gray water tank.

Take a look a Scamps on line parts department to see the parts needed.

You should not need to change anything to run a micro wave - just plug it in.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp