Scamp AC power ceiling location - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Scamp AC power ceiling location

My Scamp was prepped for AC. I wanted to use the hidden ceiling AC power cable to bring power down from the rooftop solar panel. I did a little exploring and found it under the headliner. It runs across the ceiling about 5 inches forward of the fantastic fan and ends in the master power panel. You can feel it with your fingers. See pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1391406624.008602.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	68025
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Seems a bit short to me, shouldn't it end in the vent area alongside the vent inner cover with enoungh wire to connect to an AC unit ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

Yeah, it was longer. I cut it to the length I needed. It runs across the roof, but not to the fan, at least I followed it all the way across. I suppose it could double back to the fan. I just cut it to give me enough to work with. The extra is still up there as I could not pull it out and didn't want to mess up the headliner. It seems the cable was added when the resin or headliner glue was fresh and was attached pretty well.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #4

Here is a pic of the nearly complete Oak wiring cover. I attached the Scamp supplied 12-2 romex to the solar panel leads that enter thru two 1/4 inch holes in the roof. I also brought over a 12 volt power wire from the fantastic fan to power a new central ceiling light fixture. The temp light fixture pictured will serve until my double LED fixture arrives in the mail. So the Oak board covers a 12 volt lighting splices and the 12 volt splices from the solar panel. It is attached by a single bolt thru the roof.

BTW. If I ever need Air Conditioning I will add it in the bottom of the closet. I really don't like the expensive, noisy ceiling units and I don't expect to have shore power very often anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp electrical 1.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
John, in the event you need to get at the wiring in the future, if you remove the ring and trim from around the Fantastic fan you should be able to pull the rat fur down just enough to reach all the wires. Have found the rat fur is pretty easy to reattach if you use the 3M spray.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #6

The new light fixture came this week. Here is the final look. I used a matching piece of red oak. Now the solar wiring and the ceiling light wiring is completely hidden. Now to use the other end of the Air Conditioner wire in the master circuit breaker box to connect to my solar charge controller and then on to the battery.

John
Attached Thumbnails
ceiling light.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi John,
Thank you for this post. I, too, have my Scamp prepped for A/C and wondered where all the wires actually were.
Carol, would you share the name of the 3M spray?

Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

Wendy,

In my Scamp the AC cable is easy to identify at both ends. It's the yellow jacketed 12 gauge romex cable. All other romex cables are 14 gauge and white in color. I bet older trailers will not be so color coded.

John
Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
Carol, would you share the name of the 3M spray?

Wendy

Wendy I have used the 3M Super 77 Spray - they have others but I have found that works well to tack the Scamps bubble wrap and rat fur back in place. The key is to use the long straw like thingy it comes with on the spray and spray it between the roof and the bubble wrap and let it sit for a about a minute before sticking the two surfaces back together. Also make sure its not to cold or to hot out when you do it - check the label for the correct temps to use at.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp