Scamp AC replacement question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Scamp AC replacement question

The Emerson EQK700 roof top air conditioner which was factory installed in my 1991 Scamp 5th wheel has given up the ghost. I am looking to replace it with the Dometic Brisk II which is what Scamp is now using. My question is does anyone know what the Emerson unit weighs? The new unit has a weight of 72 pounds but Scamp cannot tell me that the factory wood ceiling reinforcement is adequate with out looking at my trailer. The factory is over 8 hours away and they cannot do a factory replacement for over 6 weeks, so I would like to change this out myself but do not want to compromise the ceiling of my Scamp. I have searched the interweb high and low looking for the weight of the old Emerson without success, so I ask do any of you have any idea of the weight of the old Emerson units?
George n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Just an observation, but as things have progressed these things have gotten lighter and the metal thinner and cheaper. Probably not as heavy or a negligible difference.
Smaller compressors, plastic parts etc.
Just guessing...
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #3

Michigan
My assumption as well but I don’t want to risk the consequences with out knowing the facts, but thank you for your thought.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Cant help you with that question but I think if you do more research you might find a quieter unit. It might even be lighter or more efficient. And not as tall. I dont think Scamp choose the Brisk Air because it was the best option, but instead because of cost. If I were to replace my loud Brisk Air I would be looking for a quieter unit.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #5

Michigan
Thanks Gordon but I have looked at the top ten roof top units and the brisk seems to be the lightest by far, maybe not the quietest but the lightest and the weight is of structural concern.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Scamp is not doing a finite element structural analysis on the roof. They do the basic TLAR studies where they look at it and the shop guy says, "That looks About Right".
The rear of the 19' is (for all practical purposes) the same as the late model 16" that have been reinforced for the A/C.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Just an observation, but as things have progressed these things have gotten lighter and the metal thinner and cheaper. Probably not as heavy or a negligible difference.
Smaller compressors, plastic parts etc.
Just guessing...
Agree... Good observation!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #8

Name: Arthur
Trailer: Between RV's But Shopping
Mississippi
Worse Case ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by George n Mary View Post
The Emerson EQK700 roof top air conditioner which was factory installed in my 1991 Scamp 5th wheel has given up the ghost. I am looking to replace it with the Dometic Brisk II which is what Scamp is now using. My question is does anyone know what the Emerson unit weighs? The new unit has a weight of 72 pounds but Scamp cannot tell me that the factory wood ceiling reinforcement is adequate with out looking at my trailer.

Worse case ... if you have a place under cover for a while or a good way to protect it.

Pull the existing Emerson and weigh it. Then you'll know for sure.

Arthur II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #9

Michigan
Arthur I have been thinking the same, if I cannot find the weight, I keep the Scamp out in my toy box, pole barn, where it will be well protected as I pull the old unit and weigh it.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #10

Michigan
I pulled the old Emerson EQK700 today and weighted it with the cover and ceiling distribution box at 74 pounds. By the book, the Brisk II has a weight of 72 pounds, which I intend to verify on the same scale that I weighed the old unit, so looks like a wash.

Tags
scamp