Scamp Bathroom window fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #1

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Scamp Bathroom window fan

It would be nice to have a bit of ventilation in our Scamp bathroom beyond the small window opening. I assume the same small window is used in a variety of trailers so I'm hoping someone has figured out a neat way to add a small fan. I saw some threads that looked promising but the photo links were expired or broken.

I imagine a small computer fan could be wired up to work, even a small solar panel could drive it if wiring is difficult. I'm just not all that creative with such things.

I know there are some solar vents that I could put in the roof, but i hesitate to add another hole to my shell. I bought the thing with floor damage from a belly band leak and really don't want to deal with that ever again!
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
I know there are some solar vents that I could put in the roof, but i hesitate to add another hole to my shell. ...
Scamp uses the VanAir powered roof vent now. It also requires 12 volt power. As you can see from the photo, the way they install it, there is one large hole and many small screw holes. I agree that I would not want to add more holes, esp to the roof. I have never used the shower in my Scamp, and have never seen any need for bathroom (or should I say bath closet) ventilation. I would never have put this vent in, but YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Reinstall2 copy.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Power?

Hi,

That VanAir fan draws 1.5 Amps.... seems high. I would use a
little computer/muffin fan in the vent window drawing only
maybe 0.3/0.4? Amps.. Hardest part is getting the power to the
fan neatly.

LarryH
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Keith, do you have a roof vent fan? Turn the fan on low and open only the bath room vent to circulate the air.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Head to your local boat/marine store. They will have lots of options for small fans that can run on 12 volts. You need to be sure that you can reach the controls if the fan is directing air out the window.

But do consider putting a timer into the wiring so that someone won't forget to turn it off and drain the battery.

Or else purchase a portable, rechargeable fan and hang it or set it on a shelf in front of the window. The nice thing about that is it can be moved around the trailer or even outside when a small personal fan is wanted. Those small one nowadays typically get recharged though a USB connection. That is because people often use them while working at their desk space. You can find them at places that stock a lot of miscellaneous home goods such as Walmart, Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Target, etc. Or of course you can obtain them from the internet.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp