scamp gets new axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
hi all. we'll see if this works with pictures this time. the 77 scamp 13 got a new axle this weekend. was a little more difficult than i expected but it went well. even though it was from scamp it had some changes. i went from the original 1200lb to a 2200lb axle. a few hours with a high speed grinder/cutter and the old welds were cut out, luckily they dont weld much so this was reasonably easy. wish i could have gotten the trailer up higher or i was shorter. need to wear a face shield not just glasses and long sleves are a must. it took about 4 hours to cut out on sunday and the welder came by at 4:30 on monday after i had done the remaining prep of grinding smooth and locating the axle exactly where it needed to be. after much careful measuring with a plumb bob and a tape measure i found the frame to be damn near perfectly square and when i slammed the axle forward against the frame the two sides of the triangle to the tongue were equal at109 9/16 inch. 1 1/2 hours measuring and checking and dumb luck wins. the welder took only 20 mins and he was done. great day! also got new 8 ply tires and it tows great. soon as it was done i took to the hwy for a test. tracked great and rode so much smoother.ck the pictures if they took this time. the old axle arm is UP 5-10 degrees the new one drops22 1/2 degrees. it does make a difference to take the weight off when not in use. so far trailer was500.00 tires 160.00 axle 352.00 and the welder was40.00 pretty good for a ready to go trailer. it also helps im a mechanic and dont pay labor. oh yeah the toyota tow vehicle(22mpg) to replace the 10mpg ford one ton van was 2500.00 all in all im happy now to the road
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_axle_replacement_004.jpg   scamp_axle_replacement_007.jpg  

scamp_axle_replacement_010.jpg   scamp_axle_replacement_011.jpg  

scamp_axle_replacement_013.jpg  
jeff y is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp