Scamp:missing cover for electric hook-up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #21

Name: Judy
Trailer: 13' Scamp "La Cucaracha"
Texas
ZEBRA RV ACCESSORIES RM208P - Zebra RV Accessories Cable Hatch Polar White RM208P - RV Plus

Yay! This is the cord port I need! Thank you very much!!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #22

Texas
I just tried it again ~ to see if the inside just compresses to hold it in, but ~ no, turning the front part actually locks something. It won't come off unless it's turned to vertical.

Hope I don't have to buy a whole new panel to get it right; I'm just afraid it's going to fly off going down the road.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_In_Austin View Post
I just tried it again ~ to see if the inside just compresses to hold it in, but ~ no, turning the front part actually locks something. It won't come off unless it's turned to vertical.

Hope I don't have to buy a whole new panel to get it right; I'm just afraid it's going to fly off going down the road.
Turning that 90* left or right locks the vent cover in place. There is nothing but plastic to plastic contact. They can be a bit stubborn to turn once in a while but a quarter works pretty well in the slot. Some members keep a few extras on hand....just in case. BTW, if you should have one break while out camping, I'd take the cover off and stow it away so it doesn't sail away somewhere.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #24

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Turning that 90* left or right locks the vent cover in place. There is nothing but plastic to plastic contact. They can be a bit stubborn to turn once in a while but a quarter works pretty well in the slot. Some members keep a few extras on hand....just in case. BTW, if you should have one break while out camping, I'd take the cover off and stow it away so it doesn't sail away somewhere.
I would gladly buy some extras, if only I could find out where to buy them. I only have the one on this panel. Do you have a link? I could not find them anywhere on the Scamp site.

Thanks, Dave.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:33 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_In_Austin View Post
I would gladly buy some extras, if only I could find out where to buy them. I only have the one on this panel. Do you have a link? I could not find them anywhere on the Scamp site.

Thanks, Dave.
I don't have a link but I would think most RV stores have them as they are somewhat common now. I do believe Little House Customs carry them and they are a member of this site.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Are those turn latches on the vent cover by the fridge? On our Casita , after removing the cover, there are two places where a screw can go into at the bottom of the part that is attached to the trailer (the frame for the cover) I drilled two holes in the cover at those locations so I can put in sheet metal screws for extra security to hold the cover on. I don't trust the plastic latches. As for the cord port, I bought one on eBay, then found it didn't fit the hole in the trailer and had to order another the correct size, so you need to know the hole size
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:14 AM   #27

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Are those turn latches on the vent cover by the fridge? On our Casita , after removing the cover, there are two places where a screw can go into at the bottom of the part that is attached to the trailer (the frame for the cover) I drilled two holes in the cover at those locations so I can put in sheet metal screws for extra security to hold the cover on. I don't trust the plastic latches. As for the cord port, I bought one on eBay, then found it didn't fit the hole in the trailer and had to order another the correct size, so you need to know the hole size
No; it's a Scamp, but yes ~ it's the outside fridge control cover. I'll look into the sheet metal screw fix, and I'll be sure to measure the cord port. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 08:24 AM   #28

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
I don't have a link but I would think most RV stores have them as they are somewhat common now. I do believe Little House Customs carry them and they are a member of this site.
Thanks, Dave!

Wish there were "like" or "thanks" buttons for these threads. I feel guilty if I don't acknowledge a good suggestion or answer. Having a couple of acknowledgement buttons would make the threads much shorter, IMO.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
FWIW -

I found spare refrigerator vent latches at Trailside RV just east of Kansas City.

You can also search Amazon.com and/or WalMart for "RV fridge vent latch".

Hope that helps!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #30

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
FWIW -

I found spare refrigerator vent latches at Trailside RV just east of Kansas City.

You can also search Amazon.com and/or WalMart for "RV fridge vent latch".

Hope that helps!

Ray
Thank you. I'm going to just have to go in person to shop for these, I guess. These are about the size of a cigarette filter, and the ones I'm seeing online are described as 3 to 5 inches long.

Here are photos of the inside and outside of the gadget, and I added some silver paint to make the operation stand out (they're also sideways, but in this case it doesn't make any difference). Also a short video of how it works. I can't believe these aren't available from Scamp.

I also just emailed Dometic, whose name appears on the inside of the vent cover. I don't really expect them to contact me, though.

Thanks, everybody; I'll find these somewhere. Regards / JC
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1176.jpg   IMG_1177.jpg  

Attached Files
Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Any RV place should have those plastic latches, or Amazon, and you'll also find them on eBay with free shipping. Here's a couple pictures of what I did with screws, the tab to screw them into is at the bottom of the opening frame but you have to locate and drill the holes in the cover.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0895.jpg   IMG_0893.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #32

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Any RV place should have those plastic latches, or Amazon, and you'll also find them on eBay with free shipping. Here's a couple pictures of what I did with screws, the tab to screw them into is at the bottom of the opening frame but you have to locate and drill the holes in the cover.
Thanks very much! I'm still looking online for them and I weathered a trip to Wally World today ~ no luck.

The Scamp has 3 holes behind the cover that would accept screws, so I could do that. It surely would make it time-consuming to take it off and on every time, though. Still holding out for the little rubber things, at least for now.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #33

Texas
Both problems solved!! YAY

I found the Scamp fridge vent latches as well as a new cord port at Camper Clinic in Buda, Texas!

I've attached a photo of the vent latch. My confusion in viewing these online is that THEY BREAK APART IN THE MIDDLE, in order to attach from the front and back, creating the familiar-looking latch that is on my trailer! None of the online parts places point that out, so I thought I was looking at a wrong part! The packaging for this latch doesn't even say you have to break it in two!

As for the electric cord port (which was only missing the cover), I was able to pop the cover off the new one and pop it into the one that's riveted into the trailer!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help with these issues!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1187.jpg