Scamp rear bunks mod to eliminate posts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Scamp rear bunks mod to eliminate posts

Was perusing Craigslist, just for fun and laughs, when I saw an ad for a 16' Scamp. One feature it noted was a bunk mod to eliminate the support posts for the upper bunk. Did some site searching, but did not find anything specific. Anyone heard of such a mod? Or has done such a mod? The camper may be from someone on this site, as it had the upgraded vertical "Tree" metal supports. Been doing lots of camping (Solo) as of late, such a mod would make seating, etc while camping a bit easier. Any comments always liked, pro's and con's of such mods.

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:53 PM   #2

Name: Christian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
Was perusing Craigslist, just for fun and laughs, when I saw an ad for a 16' Scamp. One feature it noted was a bunk mod to eliminate the support posts for the upper bunk. Did some site searching, but did not find anything specific. Anyone heard of such a mod? Or has done such a mod? The camper may be from someone on this site, as it had the upgraded vertical "Tree" metal supports. Been doing lots of camping (Solo) as of late, such a mod would make seating, etc while camping a bit easier. Any comments always liked, pro's and con's of such mods.

Derswede
I made this modification on our 13'. We obviously wouldn't sleep in the top bunk but the cats like it, it provides additional storage when stationary, and makes crawling in and out of the bottom bunk infinitely easier.

I used thin cables and eye hooks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210603_084702.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	143310
chrisblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Trillium had a fold down bunk over the rear dinette. Some of the hardware was the same as used on the table to convert it to a bed. There were fold down supports on the sides as well. All of this was attached to the wood frames around the winows.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...0-a-37240.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Little confusion here. Scamp only offers front bunks, but the thread title says rear.

I’ve seen a number of ways to eliminate the bunk posts on Scamp’s front bunks. Some also strengthen the support for greater weight. Most I’ve seen make them permanent bunks, eliminating the ability to convert into a sofa.

Hopefully the OP will be along soon to clarify.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:

Derswede
The Happier Camper HC1 and HCT use no supports on their bunks ,they are completely self supporting .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
The Happier Camper HC1 and HCT use no supports on their bunks ,they are completely self supporting .
You might want to clarify that statement... unless HC is using magnetic levitation technology, something physical holds up the top bunk, even if it's the side walls of the trailer.

Sorry, couldn't resist... I was picturing something out of a Harry Potter movie...
Old 09-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #7

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Yup, FRONT bunks

OK, so clear I'm an idiot. Front bunks!!

Thought I'd post the link. Same site has an almost new Scamp for sale as well. Post is:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tro...375057780.html

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:41 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You might want to clarify that statement... unless HC is using magnetic levitating technology, something holds up the top bunk, even if it's the side walls of the trailer.

Sorry, couldn't resist... I was picturing something out of a Harry Potter movie...
Yes HC has employed some people from Hogwarts ,they come in handy for this sort of stuff

But yes I meant HC uses no annoying posts or beams to support any of the frontal area of the bunk and unlike most bunks and earlier HC1 s the bunk is completely made of fiberglass so very light and strong.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
OK, so clear I'm an idiot. Front bunks!!

Thought I'd post the link. Same site has an almost new Scamp for sale as well. Post is:

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tro...375057780.html

Derswede
So at a guess I expect the owner added a support attached to the wet bath wall, and probably something near the door, perhaps tied into the screen door frame. Very likely it is a permanent arrangement, so the upper bunk cannot be easily returned to the backrest position. Unless my eyes cheated me, it also appears to have thicker mattresses.

Definitely makes the bunks more comfortable and accessible, but you lose the extra seating , and it does not solve the problem of very limited headroom in the lower bunk. Turned on my side, there’s barely clearance for my shoulders.

For solo travel (since you mentioned it) I’d consider removing the upper bunk entirely and creating a comfortable single bed up front with lots of headroom. Then you’d have full use of the rear dinette at all times. It’s easy enough to take out and put back in as needed.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:13 PM   #10

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Scamp rear bunks mod to eliminate posts

I did what the previous poster suggested. I converted the setup to just be a couch with no bunk bed. I did this by reversing the cushions, back to bottom and bottom to back. The 'new' back cushion wraps around the front wall nicely. There is also more leg support being that the 'new' seat cushion is wider.

-DCC
Dan Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp