Scamp Repair on U-tube - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Scamp Repair on U-tube

Just posted a summary of repairs and interior upgrade/rebuild of my 16 ft 1986 Scamp on U-Tube. Here's a link:

Attached Thumbnails
Tetons012a.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I enjoyed the many issues and techniques you addressed in getting your Scamp back on the road.

I am concerned about the first repair presented, though, and recognizing you undoubtedly had to edit a bunch out for brevity: it's very tempting to bondo a crack, but for a structural repair one would need to grind out all that torn and delaminated glass, feather in a 10:1 margin and do a new lay-up with matt and cloth to restore strength to the panel. This may *never* be an issue for you in the locations you had damage, but in a structural repair that's going to face any significant flex, shear, and vibration, it's a different story.

I wouldn't worry about this unless it cracks again. It could be years.

I admire your initiative in getting in to tackle all these repairs and upgrades!

Matt
Old 02-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Myron....
Great Job. doing all that work and taking pictures too.I especially liked the Music.
Thanks for Sharing and enjoy.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #4

New Mexico
Registry
Thumbs up

re:
"I am concerned about the first repair presented, though, and recognizing you undoubtedly had to edit a bunch out for brevity: it's very tempting to bondo a crack, but for a structural repair one would need to grind out........."
Exactly right. Most of the pictures seen were grab shots taken during the work ...when I remembered to grab one. What is not seen enough in the slide show is the fiberglass reinforcement I did on the underside of cracks, plus grinding and getting to green to insure maximum topside tooth. I slathered fiberglass mud and cloth patches under the shell, insuring a wide but hidden patch would bridge the cracks. After that was set, topcoats of fiberglass closed all gaps.

Also not recorded was the bone-ugly patch job by the previous owner, which I first had to clean out. The guy had good intentions, but high on silicone. If perfect means zero sign of the cracks can now be seen, well, my work is far from that, quite "low budget." Happily, it proved to be structurally sound when we back-roaded on washboard in Montana last August.

Thanks much for the thumbs up.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Myron, great way to present all your work. Nice finished product. I had to laugh, compaired to my 13 footer, your interior looks like a dancing hall it's so big looking. It looks like we got the same converter, mine was simple to install and hook up. I also like the cool baby moons. Have fun camping!
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #6

Name: Sam
Trailer: 1977 Boler
Kansas
I really appreciate that you shared the dirty work, not just the pretty "after" photo. I know my motivation to snap a few photos goes out the window the second I get into a frustrating project.

Oh, and I particularly like the "Yes, this is a fungus" frame : )

-- Jess
Sam and Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #7

New Mexico
Registry
[QUOTE=Sam and Jess;236724]I really appreciate that you shared the dirty work, not just the pretty "after" photo.

Thanks. You know it and I know it: sometimes we forget to put the gloves on. Photo below taken after I got cleaned up that day.
Looked to me like you had to deal with quite a bit more fungus in that eggplant of yours. Great pix.
Attached Thumbnails
hands.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Very nice work Myron. After all the work you did on your Burro you did well to be able to take on a similar project so soon. rb
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp