Scamp side dinette widen bed base? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2018, 03:34 PM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 16' SD
Washington
Registry
Scamp side dinette widen bed base?

We have found that the side-dinette is just too narrow for one of us to sleep on, and because of the dog we've found that one of us must sleep on it (don't judge! Has anyone any great ideas for a mod to the side dinette in a fairly new 16' Scamp to make the base wider? Neither of us is very handy, and I really don't want to start punching holes without a proper plan. Sad to say, if we can't find a way, someone will be getting a very gently used 2013 Scamp and that would break my heart.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle
tastebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Search: “How to widen side dinette bed.” in the drop-down "Search" button above. Go to the bottom of the drop-down so you are in the "Google custom search" section and enter the above phrase. You will find many answers there.

These might get your creative juices flowing:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mod-32754.html

Here's one on extending the bed into the “aisle” so you can sleep side by side with more width.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-51320.html
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 21RB, & 92 Vanagon Westy
Idaho
So...which one of you prefers sleeping with the dog?
1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #4

Washington
Registry
The dog wants to sleep with whomever is in the big bed, and she's the BOSS !
Old 04-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Smile Scamp SD Widen Bed Base

Keep the dog but the wife got to go or she can sleep on the floor
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Idaho
I think you are going about this all wrong. What you need to do is add a hitch to the back of your Scamp.

or if you have a larger dog.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Comediennes ! oy
Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I didn't turn up much on a search other than the Casita mod already linked.

Two issues to consider. One, if you want to have the dinette during the day, how will you store the extension? Two, what will you use for cushions on the enlarged space?

My idea is separate plywood slide-out extensions with legs for each seat base and a flip up extension on the table that folds under the table for day use. You might need some latches to join all the pieces at night for stability

For the mattress you might pull the existing cushions away from the wall and fill in the gap with small, rectangular throw pillows.

Just thinking out loud...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I really don't understand,it is a dog?

It should not be too hard to make the bed wider really but if you are not handy maybe not realistic for you either?

So the deal on a Scamp Side Dinette is that the floor is not a consistent height under the table and then in the Aisle. If you look you will see that the Dinette and Seats are on a frame rail that sits the thickness of the rail above the Aisle floor.
So lets say you get plywood cut to cover the seats plus 2 inches on the front and aisle side.
Then on the aisle side attach legs that go the the aisle floor level and on the front edge facing the dinette foot area attach another wood part to carry the table section in the middle that becomes the mid section of the bed.Make a new part of plywood to be this new wider piece it would be the size of the table top plus whatever added width you want.

Slide the plywood seat cover parts out into the aisle to widen the base and drop the new center part in between them and BAM!
The seat cover parts are still more than 1/2 over the seat tops and the outside edge is supported by the new legs on the aisle floor.

Or just train the dog to prefer the floor.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

Name: Lenny
Trailer: 2019 Casita Spirit Deluxe, 17 ft.
Florida
Your scamp.

[Im interested in buying your scamp if u decide to sell it.

UOTE=tastebud;693321]We have found that the side-dinette is just too narrow for one of us to sleep on, and because of the dog we've found that one of us must sleep on it (don't judge! Has anyone any great ideas for a mod to the side dinette in a fairly new 16' Scamp to make the base wider? Neither of us is very handy, and I really don't want to start punching holes without a proper plan. Sad to say, if we can't find a way, someone will be getting a very gently used 2013 Scamp and that would break my heart.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle[/QUOTE]
skamproad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #11

Name: Lenny
Trailer: 2019 Casita Spirit Deluxe, 17 ft.
Florida
I’m interested in buying your scamp if u decide to sell it. It’s what I’m looking for. Where r u located? Thanks.
skamproad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:44 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
aaron our dog sleeps in the middle of us or at my end of the bed on my feet.

we manage to make it on a 44in bed in our 13f scamper.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:47 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
michelle we have a 13f scamp with a 44in bed with a doggie. our plan finally is one of us sleeps on one end the other on the other end. doggie in the middle or on my feet. we have ran this plan for 2 years no problems.

you will get used to it after all its camping!

good luck and don't sell your scamper

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #14

Idaho
Part of my reason we got the 16' scamp layout 4 was for the front bench that could be turned into a dog bed. Set up the bunk beds, bottom bunk for the 2 dogs (both med size), and then the top bunk makes a great shelf for daily use items (coats, hats, purses, shoes).

Tags
scamp