Scamp table wood attachment - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 PM   #1

Name: Brent
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Scamp table wood attachment

I've tried searching the forum, I guess I'm not that skilled in the search department. 2000 - Scamp 13'

I've already taken out the benches, water tank, gently pulled up the rat fur and insulation. What I found was a literal wet, soggy mess of wood on the back wall. Spongy, wet and smelly is a perfect description.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to replace that 12x12x 3/4 or whatever the measurement is, without possibility of marring surface of fiberglass?

2. Someone posted about a wood resin for boats that dries and hardens the wood and makes it usable? Option?

3. What about the side wood supports for the benches, similar situation, but not as wet, but still some rot.

As of now, the dinette floor needs to be replaced, the dance floor looks good, maybe a spot or two that's a little darker, but doesn't feel soft or deteriorated. Underneath looks decent. There are some black spots near the frame but it looks like someone painted the frame and didn't mask up or anything.

Thanks for all of your help.
Brent
EnduroFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:14 AM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Maybe you could consider converting to the Lagun Table mount system, avoid the rotted wood completely, and add some versatility in a small trailer?

Www.lagunusa.com

Just an idea ....

Good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:06 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The wood also supports the spare tire mount, so if you elect not to replace it, you’ll have to rig an alternate way to carry the spare. It sounds too far gone to use rot-fix.

Replacement involves peeling back the lining, cutting out the bad wood, epoxying in a new piece, then reinstalling the spare mount, lining, and table hardware. That’s just the basic outline; you’ll have to get details from others since I haven’t had to do mine.

For best search results, use the “site search/google” option at the bottom of the search menu. The internal search feature (first box) is hopeless.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:21 AM   #4

Colorado
The spare mount (metal), seems to be below the wood and is glassed in. I'm thinking about the lagun design, or just getting a bottom ring mount with center pole. However, the laguna design with a swivel table would be neat for more counter/work space.

Thanks for the search suggestion, the top one is almost worthless, as I've noticed.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The wood also supports the spare tire mount, so if you elect not to replace it, you’ll have to rig an alternate way to carry the spare. It sounds too far gone to use rot-fix.

Replacement involves peeling back the lining, cutting out the bad wood, epoxying in a new piece, then reinstalling the spare mount, lining, and table hardware. That’s just the basic outline; you’ll have to get details from others since I haven’t had to do mine.

For best search results, use the “site search/google” option at the bottom of the search menu. The internal search feature (first box) is hopeless.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hmm... not what I was told (spare tire mount). Learned something.

I agree with eliminating the factory table mount. I would consider changing the dinette to a U-shape. That gives you a little extra storage under the rear bridge seat. The resulting smaller table works better with a Lagun or pedestal mount.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
On my Scamp 16, the gray water tank is under the rear floor, so any sort of pedestal mount is out of the question unless you make some accommodation for this tank.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #7

Colorado
This pic shows the wood above and the spare mount glassed in below. At least that's what I'm thinking.

Another member added storage space and added bike fork mounts for travel - BRILLIANT! I think I'm going to go pedestal or Luan(?) Swivel for added space near sink.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I guess I'll gently remove rotted wood and then work on the side supports which may be salvageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hmm... not what I was told (spare tire mount). Learned something.

I agree with eliminating the factory table mount. I would consider changing the dinette to a U-shape. That gives you a little extra storage under the rear bridge seat. The resulting smaller table works better with a Lagun or pedestal mount.
Attached Thumbnails
20200728_192445.jpg  
Old 08-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #8

Name: Dale
Trailer: Scamp 13
Ohio
On my Scamp 13, I opened it all up and removed the wood with a scraper and pulled back the carpet under the table. The spare tire carrier bolts must be taken out too. I cut new plywood and used fiberglass resin from Walmart to glue the new plywood in place like the original. I then covered the area in two layers of fiberglass cloth laminated with more resin. The bolt holes can be drilled easily from the outside. On the floor, I scraped out anything that was loose and covered the area with resin and layers of fiberglass cloth extending up the walls a couple of inches. It worked beautifully and was stronger than new. Most importantly, be sure to stop the water leaks around the back window.
Dale Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp