Scamp vent/escape hatch delete 19 scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #1

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
Scamp vent/escape hatch delete 19 scamp

My 2008 Scamp 19 deluxe. Both crank up vent(escape hatches) failed at the same time. These vents tend to be problematic, expensive, nolonger installed on new scamp trailers, and after the common use of power vents, nolonger need. On my trailer, the gears and the covers both failed. So I installed two fiberglass panels, and patched the headline. I used polyurethane sealant/adhesive, closed ended (blind) pop rivets to install the plugs over the holes. And head liner materal and insolation to patch in the head liner. I did the front hatch first, looked okay. But found that roof had way to much flex. I eneded up putting an 1 1/2" aluminum stiffener to the front of the plug. So in the rear hatch I removed the guts of the vent, cut the lip off the aluminum frame, and pop riveted the plug to the top of the aluminum vent frame. The trailer came with the power vents already installed. If the trailer had not had the vent already installed, I would have cut the hole for the power vent in the newly installed fiberglass plug. I like how looks of the front turned out better. but the rear looks okay too, but did not have to and a stiffener.
Attached Thumbnails
P6251050.jpg   P6251051.jpg  

P6251052.jpg   P6261053.jpg  

P6261054.jpg   P6261056.jpg  

P7070026.jpg   P7070029.jpg  

P7071061.jpg   P7071062.jpg  

P7071063.jpg   P7071065.jpg  

P7071066.jpg   P7071067.jpg  

P7071068.jpg   P7131069.jpg  

hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:01 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
To be honest, I don't like the idea of removing the escape hatch...
Old 01-24-2023, 07:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Your trailer, do what you wish. The reason Scamp no longer has a roof egress vent is because they're installing egress windows. My Scamp doesn't have that window, hence the big vent. I like it. Lots of air. I laugh when people talk about not being able to get up and out in case of a fire. I think it's more for if the door is blocked or somehow locked and you have no other way to get out.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:49 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Ever since I noticed, long time ago, that the roof hatches are marked as "escape hatches", have I wondered what would I do after I "escape" to the roof. I would then be 7-8 feet from the ground, or 10 feet at the higher part (5th wheel), and how do I get down safely from there? Rope down using bed sheets like escaping from Alcatraz? I am sure some vague safety regulation was satisfied by installing the roof escape hatches, but escape windows make a heck of a lot more sense.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 09:28 AM   #5

Name: Dennis
Minnesota
Our 2020 Scamp 19’ has neither the escape hatch or escape window. At least all of the windows appear to be identical to the ones that were in my 1999.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:54 AM   #6

North Dakota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Your trailer, do what you wish. The reason Scamp no longer has a roof egress vent is because they're installing egress windows. My Scamp doesn't have that window, hence the big vent. I like it. Lots of air. I laugh when people talk about not being able to get up and out in case of a fire. I think it's more for if the door is blocked or somehow locked and you have no other way to get out.

When I decided to delete the escape hatches. I looked into this. The new Scamp trailers I looked at in 2020 had neither the roof hatch or the escape windows. The siding windows Scamp was using on the trailers that were on the lot at the time had the black framed sliding windows. The same as my 2008 19 deluxe. One time my entrance door got closed with the lock pin in the hole. The siding window was unlocked. I was able to enter the camper through the sliding window in the loft quite easily. My shirt size is XL and I had no problem fitting through the window. So, the standard sliding window on my trailer would be a suitable fire exit.

Now as far as the door being block, you have the large window in the back of the trailer would be the easiest way to exit the trailer.

As far as ventilation goes, everybody wants max air fans now, a 14"x14" crank up vent with a fan installed in the vent. And when an exterior vent cover is installed, can be left open in any rainstorm, will move more fresh air than the big vent ever would move. With the vent cover, the vent can be left open while traveling, and the fan could be left running.

Now, the roof hatch might have some problems being used for a fire escape. The hatch is in the highest part of the trailer. If the trailer is on fire, an open escape hatch would act like a chimney. The fire would be drawn to the opening in the roof, and you would be standing in the opening while trying to exit. The fire and heat would be drawn over your whole body. An open window a little bit lower, would have a little lesser effect on the fire, and most of the heat, smoke and flames would be above your body as you crawled out of the window.
The trailers with the older style crank out louvered window, I would think you would need to leave the hatches installed. You would have no other way out.

The newer escape windows are a good idea though. In a medical emergency first responders would be able to get a person out of the loft area much faster and be able to treat the person much sooner. This would make all the differance in the world if a person is in cardiac arrest.
Attached Thumbnails
P1261076.jpg   s-l1600 (1).jpg  

Old 01-30-2023, 12:40 PM   #7

North Dakota
Registry
roof hatch delete

I emailed Scamp and asked about deleting the hatches, they answered the question like an attorney would.

Scamp customer service said, "Each state is different in the requirements of what a travel trailer should have. Maybe check your state's guidelines otherwise you can remove it."

Tags
escape, scamp