Scamper tweaks and cleanup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #1

Name: Curtis
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Talking Scamper tweaks and cleanup

I have recently received a Scamp 16' from 1985. Its older than I am!

I am fixing a number of neglected things and updating others.

The first big thing I'm going to tackle is the rear floor section, Its getting soft from a rear window leaking and under the water tank I could poke my finger through the floor !
(yes Im redoing ALL window seals with butyl tape first)

Next will be re-doing all electrical and plumbing (water and gas) then cleaning and painting the ensolite () then floor coverings and new door hardware... etc..

The other BIG thing I want to do is delete the water heater and fridge. I know many of you will say "But the resale value" This Scamp will be with me for as long as it is usable! Also when I camp I (almost) ALWAYS have a fire going so BAM hot water... I also have a couple of good coolers that have WAY more space than the tiny fridge they put in my scamp.

My biggest issue will be the fiberglass work where the fridge and water heater were.... Ill need help...

Keep you eyes open for pics coming soon!
CurtisGrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Curtis.

We all like pictures............and will enjoy what you offer.

^
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Curtis, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I can't give you an opinion, other than I'm one of the last people that talk about resale value. It's your trailer, you need to be as comfortable and make the trailer as usable for YOU as you can. The only thing I can offer, is to tell you to make modifications using "professional" type skills and professional mods. There is ALWAYS a buyer for these trailers. While it may take longer than one that's never been modded... if it gives you pleasure and you make memories along the way... you're already money ahead.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
X2 on all that Donna D. has said. I will add work on your camper,make it yours and the way you like to camp. You have already said you plan to keep it for a very long time,so it should be the way you enjoy camping. Somewhere down the line you might find your camping style changes and if you do well then you get to remodel again!

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd just leave the outside vent covers for the refrigerator in place and create a removable inside panel to close the air leaks. For the water heater, just keep the mounting flange and the outside door.

Filling holes of that size with decent outcome is difficult at best and, for the most I have seen, impossible to look right without much more work and expense than it's worth. And that always leads to an entire repaint anyway.

BTW: Fortunately (Unlike some STD's) love of your first FGRV usually isn't forever. You will find another and want to divorce your current love for one that's bigger, smaller, wider, prettier, sleeps more or less, or has a loo.... It's a difficult vision to get into focus from where you are standing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #6

Name: luke
Trailer: Scamp 19
Wyoming
We removed the bathroom and shower and replaced the fridge in our 1986 5th wheel Scamp despite a lot of people telling us about "resale value". We couldn't be happier with the outcome.

In my opinion resale value will be as high or higher than stock as long as you do a good job with the modifications. There are a lot of people out there looking for campers for a lot of different reasons and applications.

We also cleaned the ensolite with TSP then painted one layer of Kills before putting down our final color. We also pulled out all of the rubber molding in the seams and caulked the seams (before painting of course) to give a nice flush "seamless" looking finish. It all turned out very nice.

Pictures here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...res-61696.html
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I've sold a number of small RV's over the years and the most common single question asked is "Does it have a bathroom". In 13' trailers it's common that there is no bath or shower, but in 16' and larger, esp. 5th wheels, it's, basically, expected.

Yes, doing modifications well can increase value and appeal but, sorry to say, removing a bathroom in that size trailer will reduce it's appeal to most buyers.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Curtis-
I made the same decisions and removed the fridge and heater from my Scamp. I wanted to fill in the vent holes, and people on this forum tipped me to the fact that if you call the Scamp Parets Dept, they will sometimes have pieces of scrap fiberglass that they will sell you cheap, from where windows were cut out. I bought two panels about 18x24 inches, which saved a lot of work and money in filling in those holes.

If they don't have any scrap pieces just now, try them again later.

TK
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp