Scooter rack installed... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Scooter rack installed...

Since purchasing my Trillium last summer I have traveled quite a bit; 3-4 days each week during the summer, including a trip from New Brunswick to Parry Sound, ON and back and I took it to Florida and back in November. I prefer not to disconnect my trailer and once set up my mobility was limited. I have a mountain bike but I may not feel like going very far. I have a large motorcycle but my Trillium couldn't possibly handle it. While my son was visiting me at Christmas I put the scales under the tongue and we experimented with how much weight I could safely hang off the tail and still have sufficient safe weight on the tongue. We found that adding 200 lbs would not pose a problem and could be added safely. I travel by myself and, as such, I can travel light.
I purchased a 1982 Honda C70 Passport scooter; weight, 175 lbs. It can travel about 40-45 mph (70-75 kph). I didn't want a 50cc unit because many of the places I stop are on secondary roads with speed limits over the 30 mph (50 kph) limit for those. The frame has been extended with 2"x2" square tubing mated from the axle back. The aluminum scooter rack was bolted on top of that. ( My Trillium has a full axle with leaf springs and brakes. )
Now I will be able to see the sights beyond the campground; go to a restaurant, grocery store etc. I can also visit local points of interest where RV parking is often limited.
I realize there are those who consider anything beyond a standard rig unsafe. I have added extra stop/turn lights to the scooter rack as well as red reflectors to the sides; the extension should be very visible. The weight of the scooter is equivalent to adding a travel companion and the scales have been crucial in the design. The shop that added the frame extension and the scooter rack is the same garage that does my safety inspections and wouldn't risk their license or reputation if they did not deem it safe.
I haven't taken any pictures yet.
OK... I have my fire suit on; flame away... LOL
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
OK... I have my fire suit on; flame away... LOL
Barrie - No flames, a previous owner extended the tongue of our trailer and added a scooter rack. We love the extra space, even though it increases the wind resistance.

Being a pilot, my only concern of a rear mount would be weight and balance. Have you weighed the tongue with the scooter on the rack and the trailer at tow weight? I know you did your research before building but unless your trial weights were at the same arm (distance from the center of gravity/ axles) as your finished product then your tongue weight could be different than anticipated.

Hope everything worked and you can enjoy the ride safely.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Hi Tom,
Yes. When my son assisted me with my planning, we hung extensions on the frame/bumper so I could access the impact the added weight would have if added. We also 'bounced' up and down on the extension to simulate the impact road bumps would have. I was in the long haul trucking business for 35 years before retiring and I've seen everything. I certainly don't want to be one of 'those'.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Barrie - Well done. As we say down here, "Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down ." Safe travels.

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
The setup sounds cool Do you have a photo?

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
The setup sounds cool Do you have a photo?

Regards,

Matt
Hi Matt,
I haven't taken any pictures yet. I ordered a set of original Trillium tail lights, to replace the current tail lights, and I'm waiting for them to come in before I snap the pics.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I have a PC50.... we should trade!.
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I have a Yamaha QT50 YamaHopper somewhere. It's just 95 lbs. I should drag that out and see if it still runs!

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #9

There are a few reasons I went with the Honda C70. Although it is no longer sold in North America, it is still produced and sold throughout the world; mostly in Asia. To date, over 60 million have been produced. That means parts are easily available and are dirt cheap. This is the 'Model T' vehicle of Asia; cheap and easily fixed. ( Well, not so cheap here anymore...). It is a 3 speed semi automatic; no clutch but you have to shift. Not only does it go faster than the 50cc scooters and mopeds, the Chinese have produced clone engines (surprise...) that just bolt in. These bikes have the engine and transmission combined as a unit. The Chinese clones are available at 90cc and 110cc with 4 speed transmissions, for less than $300., so an engine swap/upgrade is easy. I wouldn't think of trading this piece of automotive history...
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #10

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Barrie, how does it work with licensing up there? Down here in Maryland, 50cc does not require any title, tags, insurance, or special license. Basically, it is no different than a bicycle. Anything over 50cc is considered a motorcycle.

I have a 50cc Kymco "people". it is about 9 years old now, and has about 1,500 miles on it. I originally bought it to use with my class A RV. I have a rack for it that fits in a class III hitch. It is about 230 pounds, so it's a little heavy to carry on my 13' Scamp.

My wife and I like to ride it down to the beach, which is about five miles from home. Even with both of us onboard, it still gets up to about 40 MPH. Once you get to about 40 MPH, the RPM governor kicks in. Some people cut the wire to the governor so that you can get to higher RPMs, but I don't want to go that route. There is an Italian-made kit to bring it up to 70cc. I am really tempted by this!

I'm not complaining, though... this scooter has performed beautifully since day one. Other than going in to remove the variator restrictor, it has never been back to the shop. I have never replaced any parts other than the battery. I replaced the gear oil with a synthetic lube when it was due for it. I also use a semi-synthetic two-stroke oil (Yamalube).

I was told that Kymco is the largest manufacurers of Scooters in the world. They used to produce Honda engines for the Korean market, and still produce a similar engine for their own scooters. I used to have a Honda scooter (1979 model), and I must say that the Kymco scooters seem to be just as reliable... in case anyone is in the market for one.

I really wish I could take my scooter along with the Scamp...
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Barrie, how does it work with licensing up there? Down here in Maryland, 50cc does not require any title, tags, insurance, or special license. Basically, it is no different than a bicycle. Anything over 50cc is considered a motorcycle.

I have a 50cc Kymco "people". it is about 9 years old now, and has about 1,500 miles on it. I originally bought it to use with my class A RV. I have a rack for it that fits in a class III hitch. It is about 230 pounds, so it's a little heavy to carry on my 13' Scamp.

My wife and I like to ride it down to the beach, which is about five miles from home. Even with both of us onboard, it still gets up to about 40 MPH. Once you get to about 40 MPH, the RPM governor kicks in. Some people cut the wire to the governor so that you can get to higher RPMs, but I don't want to go that route. There is an Italian-made kit to bring it up to 70cc. I am really tempted by this!

I'm not complaining, though... this scooter has performed beautifully since day one. Other than going in to remove the variator restrictor, it has never been back to the shop. I have never replaced any parts other than the battery. I replaced the gear oil with a synthetic lube when it was due for it. I also use a semi-synthetic two-stroke oil (Yamalube).

I was told that Kymco is the largest manufacurers of Scooters in the world. They used to produce Honda engines for the Korean market, and still produce a similar engine for their own scooters. I used to have a Honda scooter (1979 model), and I must say that the Kymco scooters seem to be just as reliable... in case anyone is in the market for one.

I really wish I could take my scooter along with the Scamp...
Hi Mcbrew,
I'm not certain but I believe any motorized vehicle requires a license. Since mine is over 50cc that size issue doesn't apply to me anyway. I have had my motorcycle license since I was a teenager and I also have a Yamaha V-Star 1000. What struck me as odd was that insurance is almost the same for b0th bikes... go figure.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Hi Barrie,
Thanks for the info! I have been thinking about adding a hitch and platform to the back of our 16' Scamp to hold our bicycles. How many miles have you successfully traveled with your new setup? I'm not concerned about tongue weight because ours is already tongue heavy plus there are several options for re-distributing our load (move spare tire, move water tank, travel with water tank empty, etc.), however I am concerned about the stresses on a rack from the shaking and bumping inherent in having weight protruding so far off the rear of a trailer. I know a purchased bike rack would not be a good choice (plus we ride recumbents so those racks don't work anyway) so am hoping a setup where our bikes can be supported underneath their wheels would work. Would also love to see photos of yours as well!
Darnelle
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #13

Hi Darnelle,
I have just completed the installation so the milage is zero with the new setup. I am anxious for the weather to improve so I can hit the road. I will post photos as soon as my new Trillium lights arrive. We installed eye bolts fore and aft of the scooter rack on the frame extension so I can ratchet down the scooter without binding the shocks. We now have two sets of tail lights on the rear; the (soon to be replaced) Trillium trailer lights and the new set installed on the rack. I was concerned the scooter will obstruct the current trailer lights and it's best to have lights and reflectors as far back as the frame goes.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #14

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Thanks Barrie, I'll be looking forward to your photos! Really like the idea of adding eyebolts to the rack frame. I'm also adding lights and extra reflectors to it -- our bikes and child carrier may block some of the trailer lights, especially when viewing from an angle. For us, another plus is the added lights might be able to be placed higher than the trailer's.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Barry..... I have a 1981 C70 Passport. A co-worker GAVE it to me a couple of years ago. The chrome looked awful and it didn't run. I downloaded schematics and complete manual for it. The main problem with it was a broken coil wire under the gas tank. I tried and tried to clean the carburetor but to no avail Finally got one from ebay and now it purrs like a kitten. It's fun. In Ky, any above 50cc is a motorcycle and need plates. My property tax bill is 75 cents/yr and it gets me 100mpg. I've thought I'd like to take it with the Casita but haven't really looked hard. There are yahoo user groups that will help greatly if you ever have a problem.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:36 PM   #16

Thanks Chris,
Since I already have my motorcycle license, that's not a problem for me. I was lucky; the bike had been refurbished before I bought it. The fellow I bought it from purchased a farm last year and the Honda was in the barn. He has a teenaged son and he decided to fix it up for him. He basically got it free so he didn't mind spending a few dollars getting it going. His son didn't want to ride 'a scooter'; he wanted a dirt bike instead. The owner was heading out west for work and decided to list it for sale... in the middle of winter. I got a great deal. I can't get over how cheap the parts are for these things. Mine is an '82 so it has a 12 volt system. I driven it up and down the street a bit; what a blast.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 03-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Yes..... when I decided to get rid of my 3rd Goldwing, we basically traded it for a fiberglass camper. Realy had a lot of fun with camper but still missed my bike occasionally. This thing helps. Not a 1500cc, but still fun!!!
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #18

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have a Kymco People 250 scooter which I love very much, and I'm going to be very conflicted this year with respect to the debate between weekend camping and photography outings on the scooter vs. outings with the Burro.

At over 350 pounds, it's not a candidate for being somehow attached to the camper.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #19

I can relate to being conflicted. I have a V-Star 1100 as well as a Miata; too many toys, never enough time... LOL
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #20

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Scamp needs to make a "toy hauler" model that can accommodate a two-wheeler!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote