Screen door on Uhaul - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
Screen door on Uhaul

I'm sure this has been asked before (I'm mobile, so the search option isn't as useful) but has anyone put a screen door on their 13' Uhaul? If so, how did it fit and where did you get it from?

Thanks for your help!
Tuanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I don't have a Uhaul but with your entry door the same solution I used should work. On my Boler I used Magic Mesh, had is narrowed to fit the opening, the top is sewn together with banding and higher quality velcro sewn on the narrowed edges.

We have had this installed for the last half of the summer and it has worked flawlessly, "snapping" closed as soon as we go through the door.

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
we bought some magic mesh but haven't used it, and have no plans to do so. A possibility for the Uhaul would be to frame up the door opening with wood and make a flat screen door that opens against the closet. We gave up on a screen door, but may at some point install a Scamp sliding window in the front for more air circulation.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
I have a 13' Casita and needed a screen door with some structural strength ( I have dogs). I didn't want a wooden frame that took up even more room in my tiny camper, so I built a screen door out of PVC pipe and covered it with a "pillow case" type of cover that I made out of replacement fiberglass window screen. The long sides of the PVC were heated with a heat gun to make them conform to the curved shape of the doorway. (I made a pattern) There are 3 horizontal bars to give the door strength. I put two handles on each side of the door and can "pivot" the door or move it completely out of the camper.
It has worked very nicely for us. I spray painted the PVC black and it looks great.
If you don't need a substantial door, the magic mesh should work nicely. If you need something to keep dogs and kids in, I could send some pics.
The Pillow case cover has about a 1.5" hem around the edge that fills the gap that a mosquito might find around the edge of the door.
ShirleyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My UHaul came with the original screen door. It is attached with Velcro around the perimeter has a zipper that unzips 3 sides of the screen so that one can enter the camper.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
i use a magic mesh with sucess, especially with my dog that knows he can can get in or out by himself.

this pics is not froma uhaul but i like the idea of the two small doors instead of one big.

tartosuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #7

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Tom,
I would love to see pictures of the original UHaul screen door. Didn't know they had any.
Thanks,
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #8

Name: Ashley
Trailer: 1986 Uhaul CT
Utah
Thanks for everyone's input so far. Tom, I'd also love to see pictures when you get a chance!
Tuanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Tom,
I would love to see pictures of the original UHaul screen door. Didn't know they had any.
Thanks,
Patti
Here is a photo I found on the internet - not mine. Hard to tell from the photo, but it is a heavy duty mesh.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Tom,
Thanks,
Patti
I'm not aware that UHaul ever had a screen door as an original feature. They were made for rentals, and a screen door would have probably been just one more thing to maintain.
I have a curtain rod mounted above my door and hang a mesh curtain on it that works great.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I'm not aware that UHaul ever had a screen door as an original feature. .......
Trust me, it is original UHaul issue.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #12

New York
Apparently there were production changes over the time these trailers were built. One of the most common was the cabinet liners and latches, with our unit being an early production model based on those items. I would guess that the screen door was a late production item and may be quite rare. Tom, any idea when your camper was built?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Apparently there were production changes over the time these trailers were built. One of the most common was the cabinet liners and latches, with our unit being an early production model based on those items. I would guess that the screen door was a late production item and may be quite rare. Tom, any idea when your camper was built?
Yes, thanks to our friend Chris Jones, I have it's birth date - April 1, 1985

Also variable is the front window cover, the location of the breaker box (changed in 1986) and the addition of the swamp cooler and battery meter.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #14

New York
Ours is titled as an 84. We do not have window cover, battery meter, fire extinguisher mount, turn type cabinet latches or iron propane lines. Ours did have the swamp cooler, and when I removed it there were screw holes where there may have been a roof vent. If I can get the build date on ours I'll bet it was either a monday or friday judging by the quality of the work assembling it!
Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #15

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I used a magic mesh knock off, but instead of velcro cut some wood trim and attached it. It has been working great. We didn't want a door swinging in reducing room inside.

I also read hanging beads keeps bugs out, but haven't tested the idea.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #16

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
My 1985 CT has the original mesh screen. It was mfg by the Atlanta Mfg Co and the address on my dataplate is the Atlanta UHaul location.

It's still in good shape, built out of sturdy thick polyester mesh. The zipper handle broke and I'm using a key ring in its place. It is attached via velcro and gorilla snot. I use it all. the. time!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvrOlife View Post
.........The zipper handle broke and I'm using a key ring in its place. ........
The zipper handle on mine broke too. I found out that it is a standard zipper and was able to buy a new sliding mechanism for it - you need to unsew it at the bottom, exchange zipper feet, then resew.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #18

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
The zipper handle on mine broke too. I found out that it is a standard zipper and was able to buy a new sliding mechanism for it - you need to unsew it at the bottom, exchange zipper feet, then resew.
I wasn't expecting that...thank you Thom!

...what don't you know about these lil CT's?
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvrOlife View Post
.............what don't you know about these lil CT's?
I'll say anything if I think someone will believe me.