Screened Room - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #1

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Hi,

We are considering buying a separate screened room to use when we camp in really buggy areas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
WHAT do I USE?? noth'en

I have one of those springy ones. Take it out of the bag and shake - boing. 6'x6'x6' or such. I do take it with me though, just haven't been in a buggy area yet.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 12:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have one of those too. It's a Playhut EZ Twist.

Weighs nothing, I don't seem to have a problem with getting it twisted back together, and it's great for 2 people, a table and a couple of chiars.

The roof sags in the rain tho. I am not using it at this moment for this very reason.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
I have one of those too. I just set it up under the awning if its buggy and raining. Love it!
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
We have a eureka screen house. It is the best quality we could find. It has aluminum poles, and black no se eum mesh. It has stayed up in 30+mph winds on the beach (staked well). I like it but I wish it was easier to set up. I am too short to do it by myself. Steve says it's a piece of cake.
Maggie O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
We bought the EZ Twist in the 8ft. X 8ft. size. We really like it but can never get it put down. We had to leave it up (at home) for over a week until it finally went down. We still don't know what we did different the last time.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
So far my favorite screen room is DEET. I suppose that when I get old that might change.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Quote:
We bought the EZ Twist in the 8ft. X 8ft. size. We really like it but can never get it put down. We had to leave it up (at home) for over a week until it finally went down. We still don't know what we did different the last time.
So did I ever tell you about the time my daughter stayed in one of those same kinda tents with the boing?? She started packing and couldn't get it spring back and was stuffing, or trying to stuff it into her car. thank goodness a neighbor camper came to her rescue. She is frustrated, I can put it away and she can't. Oh!! I already told you that one?? oops.
Jana J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #9

Quote:
So far my favorite screen room is DEET. I suppose that when I get old that might change.
Well, I am old and I hate using DEET---nasty chemical, but it does work. Now for John, all he needs is for me to be around---I am one who attracts all the biting insects.

Now that I am old, I still enjoy hiking, etc., but some times I just want to sit and read a good book while enjoying the outdoors without leaving bruises on myself from smacking the insects---yes, when one gets older, they also bruise easier.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out. I know that the twisting fold up things can be troublesome. We have the sun shades that fold into a little case. It seems like when I don't think about it, and just twist, most of the time it works. I have never figured out exactly how to twist, and if I think about it, it never works.

Thanks again for the suggestions
Diane
Old 04-15-2006, 10:28 PM   #10

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

I also have a large Eureka screen tent left over from the camping trip from bug hell. we had no seeums, black flies, mosquettos, and hornets all at the same time. Bought the Eureka and love it even thought it is too big without all of the kids. When I switch to a TV other than my Astro I will get something smaller (maybe.)

Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Diane,

I have seen a 17’ Casita with the standard awning that had a Full Screen Room. It turns out the Fiamma Florida room fit perfectly.

Fiamma awnings - Florida Room
03886-01- Florida Room 10' M
http://www.fiamma.com/catalog/florida_room.htm

It weighs about 30 pounds and sets up in about 20 minutes. It also has great tie downs for strong winds.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:30 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Maybe Gene will post a photo of his “Fiamma - Florida Room”
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Bought a Coleman Kenai tent on sale at Costco for $35. The upper 1/3 is mesh and without the rain fly up it works well as a screen room. It's 10' X 8' and of course can also be used as a tent. Fits in a 7" X 7" X 27" box and is light-weight. Tom Trostel
Old 04-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
My wife and I are going to buy the Fiamma Florida Room.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:00 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

We have a 10' x 10' EZ-up. Package says 4 minute setup, but that's just for the canopy. Adding the screen walls via velcro takes me almost 45 more minutes. Robert bought it on sale. I use it, reluctantly.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft ('Lillypod')

Click image for larger version

Name:	summer_2005_057.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	2235

I like the Fiamma florida room. It's expensive, but it doubles the size of our camper! (I bought ours from http://www.Gowesty.com at the best price I've seen, around $500.
Aaron Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
If you have a Fiamma, Dometic Horizen or Casita crankout box awning the Fiamma Florida rooms are perfect. I saw a guy set one up and it seemed like it only took 15 min. or so. Fiamma awings are a joy to use, one min. setup. The rest was time needed to setup the screen room. Maybe Aaron can comfirm the time needed to put one up? Quality was excellent. $550 bucks for the 8fter. Ouch!
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
Attachment 2235

I like the Fiamma florida room. It's expensive, but it doubles the size of our camper! (I bought ours from http://www.Gowesty.com at the best price I've seen, around $500.
I inquired about the Florida Room at Gowesty and they replied that they had no idea what I was talking about.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #19

Hi,

Since we no longer have our Casita, and are downsizing to a 6'5" Truck camper, we will probably look at the twisty types some of you mentioned. We really need to keep things compact and light.

We pickup our camper in Colorado the first part of June and then it is off to Alaska. It will be tight---two big people and two dogs, but we want to try this for a while. We hope to go back to Mexico and maybe further in the fall. We slurged on the power and ordered dual 6V batteries and a solar system.

So, while our new unit is not molded fiberglass, it is not a sticky. It is aluminum framed and covered with a material that looks like fiberglass. I just want a small outside room to sit in where the hungry mosquitoes are the size of small birds!

This is close to what ours will look like, but we will have the solar on top and a basket rack---also, our truck is a 4WD Tundra.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Diane
Attached Thumbnails
Picture_20008.jpg  
Old 04-18-2006, 06:46 AM   #20

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, We use a Woods 8x8 fabric dining tent with flaps....usually we set it up close enough to our 13' so that one of the flaps can reach onto the roof of the trailer and act as an awning in case of rain....we do this instead of using the trailer awning....the outside frame of the tent uses fiberglass rods and pops up about the same as a dome tent....a partial pic of the set up is on our webshots site.....other times we`ll set up further away from the trailer and use the awning.....setting up and taking down is fairly easy once you get the hang of it....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote