"Senga" - 1991 Scamp 13' renovation - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We see the baseball one every year, if you mean a New Beetle. We looked closer at it this year. Amazing interior! We also saw the flame one - it matches my VW visor. The orange one did not catch my eye. It may have been there, but I don't remember it. Is it the orange one in the background here?

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
orange one?.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #42

Name: Tabitha
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Nope, not that one. All 3 were New Beetles. It's parked just next to the baseball one, opposite side from the flamed one, with the black bra. it's pretty much stock, so aside from being the color concept limited edition, there isn't much to jump out.
Harlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #43

Registry
Talking

Oh, I see. I can't say it stood out in my mind. I did notice the flame one and the baseball one. I was looking at what other things people put in their plastic vases. I may have been focusing on that. Although honestly, we went through the cars on Saturday, so there were more to look at. Were they there on Saturday? This picture must be from Sunday. The pink one with the teardrop is gone in the picture. Half or more left after Saturday.

We are thinking of bringing our New Beetle next year. If we do that, we will likely leave home our Uhaul and rent a cabin at the campground. We just have to figure out how to fit the FirstUp in our VW, so we don't burn. I bought a red top to match my Beetle (We now have a red top, blue top, and white top to our FirstUp.).

I don't see us in the picture.

CindyL
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #44

Virginia
Today... Curtains!

We were at the thrift shop last night, and I found a curtain panel that I thought would go eggcellently with our new cushions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	curtains1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	47442

Turned that into two sets of each of these:

Name:	curtains2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	47443

Kind of wish there was 2 of them or it was a little bit larger, so they could be a bit fuller. But hey. A full set of fully lined and fleece insulated satin and velvet curtains for under 10$, can't beat that. (should've been 6$, but joanns was out of the size/color ribbon i needed by the spool so had to pay a bit more for the by the yard kind. Still.)
Old 06-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #45

Virginia
took a break from sewing today, and made a mess outside instead. (Oh yeah, that's my bug next to the trailer this time.)

Name:	makinmess.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	388.7 KB
ID:	47495

Ollie worked on cleaning the gunk from under the door trim and old foam tape. Also removed the rain guard above the door, which i spent forever scrubbing clean. (Curse you, Silicone!)

Name:	doorway.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	47490

we started taking most of the stickers off the butt. (Adhesive is the devil.)

Name:	dedecalification.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	47493

Ollie put some kilz primer on the baseboard in the kitchen cabinet

Name:	kitchen-kilz.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	47491

He removed the 3 reamaining old marker lights, I scrubbed clean the fiberglass underneath (ick!). He put some Zep on around the area and reinstalled new lights and put LED's in.

Name:	marker-red.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	47492

Name:	marker-amber.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	47494

I took off the old Scamp decals, also barkeeper's friended some of the belly band for fun. (also can compare the preserved gelcoat to the 2 coats of Zep around the corner marker, and see freshly installed door handle.)

Name:	gelcoat-belly.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	47489
Old 06-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #46

Virginia
Sewing break didn't last too long.

Name:	awning1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	47651

Name:	awning2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	47652

9' long x 8' wide.. all done except for putting grommets in and whatever will hold it into the awning rail. waiting until we actually get an awning rail to do that part
Old 06-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #47

Registry
Very cute!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #48

Virginia
Took the rain guard off the other day for silicone removal and cleaning (and eventual painting), and went to work on these:

Name:	doorcracks1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	47749

Still a work in progress. First time doing any kind of fiberglass work or gelcoat repairs, so it's taken a few tries to get the right amount of crack widening and application of new gelcoat. being right on the edge of the inset for the door makes it a bit more difficult to do. There were a couple scratches near the rear corner that were much easier to deal with. I think this was from the first application, before sanding:

Name:	doorcracks2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	47750

Removed all the caulk from the belly band. At least 1 layer of silicone on the top and bottom, plus a layer of something white under the silicone on the top side. Not sure if it was factory or not. What a job. Actually could've been a LOT worse, but for Lift Off (had a spray can of adhesive remover that does a decent job on caulk too-not the specific silicone remover version though) and my church key (what my grandpa calls the paint can opener tool that looks like a bent screwdriver with a loop handle).

Name:	bellyband1.jpg
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	47751

Ollie sanded down and por-15'd the rear bumper, took the spare tire off and did the bolts too. Poor discolored fiberglass behind the tire. Going to need a new tire, that's for sure. The rubber was all cracked and it had no air in it. Not sure it would even hold air, actually.

Name:	rearbumper.jpg
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	47752

In preparation for returning to the original style tail lights, I made this yesterday. The lights we found didn't have the license plate bracket or the clear lens portion to use as plate light. Used a piece of offset aluminum angle (one leg longer than the other) and a 4x10 piece of aluminum sheet that turned out to be exactly the right size for the job. If we had a welder for the angle corners, I could've gotten away with fewer rivets (or none of if welding the sheet to the angle, I suppose), but we don't. Still needs cleaning up, of course.
Front:

Name:	plate1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	47753
Back:

Name:	plate2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	47754
What it'll look like when lights are attached:

Name:	plate3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	47755
Old 06-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #49

Virginia
and on to the floor!

So, this is what the piece attached to the trailer looked like. Big hole by the dinette and sink, smaller holes in front of the cubby under the front bench. general ick.

Name:	floor1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	48025

so someone took a 3/4" piece of osb, covered the top in carpet, and stuck it in on top of it. that started getting yucky too.

Name:	floor2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	48026

So we took some measurements and got a sheet of 5-ply plywood with exterior glue.

Name:	floorpattern.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	48019

started cutting out the material to make the lap joints, Left 3 ply on the bottom side of the big square and 2 ply on the top side of the smaller pieces.

Name:	floor3.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	48020

still need cleaning up here, but all done cutting

Name:	floor4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	48021

glued everything up and let it dry overnight

Name:	floor5.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	48022

closeup of joint

Name:	floor6.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	48023

used about 3/4 of a gallon of fiberglass resin to do both sides. probably going to thicken some up and coat the edges again before officially calling it ready to install.

Name:	floor7.jpg
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	48024
Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #50

Name: Ollie
Virginia
Registry
Goodbye squishy floor!

With a screwdriver softly poking and mallet gently tapping, tapping on the Scamp's old floor..

Name:	GOPR0440.jpg
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	48074

Now with said mallet soundly whacking for the screws would turn no more
(all but two screws finally came out thanks to vise-grips- those that snapped I was able to unscrew by gripping the tip on the underside of the frame)

Name:	GOPR0444.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	48075

The front bench came out pretty easily- took out the screws along the top lip, drilled out two rivets in the end next to the door, and three inside the kitchen counter, then pulled the latter ones' stubs out from inside the cubby hole with vise-grips. Finally cut the caulk between bench and counter and it lifted right out.
The Odd Couple, Chopstick and Senga hanging out in the parking lot

Name:	GOPR0457.jpg
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	48076

Front wall sans bench

Name:	GOPR0453.jpg
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	48089

Step- only significant through-rust was the steel/tin which is tacked to the frame and anchors the base of the closet

Name:	GOPR0456.jpg
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	48090
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #51

Name: Ollie
Virginia
Registry
While Tabitha was scrubbing the outside, I finished removing the old floor. With the bench out I could remove the small carpet strips from the front compartment risers. With these and the one under the counter out, I cleaned off the foam with a razor blade.

The floor was bedded to the rails with butyl tape and some white stuff (seam sealer?). This white caulk/glue was pretty stubborn but it chipped away with some concerted scraping. I sanded all the rails, top and bottom and wiped them down.

One coat of Por-15 made it on today.

Name:	Por15edFloorFrame.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	48093
Tomorrow it will get Por-15 chassis black brushed on. When that's fully hardened in a few days, the butyl will get laid on top of the rails and newly glassed floor laid in. Planning on drilling pilot holes from under the trailer through the old screw holes and new floor then screwing down with new hardware from inside.

Oh- and NEW RIMS got here today

Name:	NewRims.jpg
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	48094

I'm a little disappointed that they weigh as much or more than the white star steelies that Senga came with, but at least now we can have painted wheels and hubcaps Will check for tire availability locally- Goodyear shop said they had C rated trailer tires in the old size

Also mounted the stabilizer jacks we got from Scamp using heavy duty bolts and lock washers. Still not liking the box bumper but with the 'chassis black' it should be immune to rust. Ideally, I'd like to put a VW Bus bumper blade over it- I tried a bug bumper already..too curved.
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #52

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've never seen a wheel with that many lug nuts before.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #53

Virginia
Deeeeeeeecals!

How she looked when we got her. not too bad, but both sides had some damaged spots.

Name:	decalset1.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	48127

Got the vinyl all removed. Original gelcoat was still new looking underneath. very glossy and raised about a millimeter above the rest of the body.

Name:	decalset2.jpg
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	48128

Sanded it down so that it was flush<er> with the rest of the body and no longer shiny. the whiteness does still stand out from the somewhat oxidized body but much less noticeable at this point.

Name:	decalset3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	48129

tada! new vinyl applied.

Name:	decalset4.jpg
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	48130

Neither Ollie or I were very thrilled with the design of the existing decals, so we decided to come up with our own version and had a friend that does vinyl graphics cut it out for us. It's based on the original Scamp logo with a few tweaks to the corners of the letters and such. the lower case letters actually turned out to be slightly wider, and possibly bolder, than the existing decal ones but about the same height. the thing that bugged me most was the oddly oversized "S". the variable-width stripes are kind of neat, but the execution.. meh. So I kept the "S" solid and streamlined the stripes. Also added in the triple-tree for a bit of interest and some more color. the top stripe aligns with the location of the old top stripe, but overall, it's a few inches shorter (top-to-bottom) than the old one, but the "Scamp" part is actually wider by a bit more than half the letter "S". kinda wish i put it a couple inches further forward, but very happy with the results. custom, but still stock-ish.

Name:	decalset5.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	48131
Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #54

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I've never seen a wheel with that many lug nuts before.
it's got 2 bolt patterns. 5x4.5 and 5x4.75
Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #55

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixVW View Post
Oh- and NEW RIMS got here today
Attachment 48094

I'm a little disappointed that they weigh as much or more than the white star steelies that Senga came with, but at least now we can have painted wheels and hubcaps Will check for tire availability locally- Goodyear shop said they had C rated trailer tires in the old size

Ollie weighed the old and new rims. the new ones are 5lbs heaver than the old, but they're also 1" bigger in diameter and .5" larger in width. 14x5 vs 13x4.5. so actually, by volume the new ones weigh less.

Old:
A= ∏² × r² = 132.665 in²
V= A * d = 596.99 cu.in³
V/weight = 2.665 oz/in³

New:
A= ∏ × r² = 153.86 in²
V= A * d = 769.3 cu.in³
V/weight = 2.53 oz/in³

</geek>
Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #56

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
it's got 2 bolt patterns. 5x4.5 and 5x4.75
I know I'm pullin' his chain. Beautiful work. Love the new Scamp graphics.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #57

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I know I'm pullin' his chain. Beautiful work. Love the new Scamp graphics.
thanks!

and i figured as much. just figured i'd provide details in case someone didn't know why there was so many holes. or liked them and wants their own...

in which case, i should probably also say that they're Wheel Vintiques model 12-451203. 14" diameter, 5" width, 5x4.5/4.75 bolt pattern, 3" rear spacing. we got them from Summit Racing (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WVI-12-451203/).

on another note. apparently trying to put on old style tail lights leads to removing benches and replacing moar flooring.. and probably a vast rewiring project.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #58

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixVW View Post
Time to move the Scamp beyond the welcome thread
Inspiring thread!!!

I have a question? What kind of door/hatch is that on the closet (outside)? I'm hoping to put AC in the closet of my 13", but want it to shut up water tight when not in use.

In the image on the left of your very first post of this thread, in case it's unclear what I'm talking about. Looks like you removed it and patched the whole thing.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #59

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I have a question? What kind of door/hatch is that on the closet (outside)? I'm hoping to put AC in the closet of my 13", but want it to shut up water tight when not in use.
the hatch door cover in the picture wasn't ever permanently installed because one of the rivets that holds the closet shell in place is partially in the way. (not enough to use it as an anchor point, but too much so that it's in the way.)

an old owner (not the one we bought it from) did have an A/C there, but cut the hole bigger that it seems most of the stock size doors/vents are. I would suggest getting an idea of the size vent space you need, finding an actual vent or door BEFORE cutting a hole. i don't think the person that cut it open had any idea what they were going to use

the person we bought the trailer from tried a few different things (that access hatch, a larger vent like the one above the belly band there, etc) but didn't find a permanent solution, so right now it's just a piece of sheet metal with folded edges taped to the outside over the hole.

we're still deciding whether to just fiberglass the hole up or not. we have the air conditioner that was there, which would be nice to have, but we're in the same situation as you with the smaller tow vehicle and we want to keep the weight of the trailer down. I think we'll probably wait till after a proper camping trip with the fans he posted about earlier to see how bearable the heat is to make a final decision on that.

Okay. Ollie actually just went and took some pictures of it, and the situation isn't even as good as I thought it was. I thought the thing was an actual hinged hatch, but it's not. it's possibly the frame from a hatch, but the cover piece isn't attached to it in any way, nor does it have a hinge portion.

Name:	ac-cover.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	48182
(that's the rivet that gets in the way when the frame is in the proper position. i was thinking maybe the frame could be notched around it or something, but now knowing that it's not a proper hatch it's not even worth thinking about in our case)

Scamp has a couple vent hatches for refrigerators that might be about the right size (Scamp Trailers - Vents and Lids) but I think for the sake of a smoother appearance and general water-tightness issues, I'd want one without the vents and i'd just prop it open when the A/C was in use.. and put a piece of screen on the inside of the hole to keep the bugs out. Will have to look elsewhere for one of those, though.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #60

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Awesome info! Above and beyond the call.

I'm not going to start cutting until it's all straight in my head just what is going to happen. I have the unit to start inspecting and measuring. Vent/hatch is a primary mission item at this point. When not in use I want that thing air tight. I think it's going to see a LOT more rain than AC use this next year.

I have a bit of a mess I've made, just started pulling parts of my interior out and I'm hesitating getting into it seriously. I have all the interior changes well laid out and I have most of the materials and parts. But I'm still hesitating, I'm just nervous and feeling lazy. It's hot out there. So seeing your project is motivating. I just wish I had you're work space. Working in the New Mexico summer sun is challenging. Perhaps I should get that AC in there first???
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp