Shademaker bag awning question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ontario
Shademaker bag awning question

Hi, I have just received my Shademaker bag awning for my 13 ft Scamp Trailer. I ordered it from interwestsports.com. It has a seam in the middle of it. Does anyone know if this is normal? Why wouldn't it be one piece? Can anyone who has one please let me know how yours is. Otherwise I am happy with the awning, but just confused about the seam.
Thank you
Brian in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I’d call the mfg I agree that for something as small as a 13’ awning I wouldn’t think there would be a seam
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a Shademaker bag awning on our Uhaul 13. I don't recall a seam but there could be one. Will have it on and open in a few days and can answer for sure then. What I have found, and know of at least one other owner with the same issue, is that when the trailer sets with the awning rolled up in the bag, rain will get in the bag somehow. Probably through the stitching on the bag. I slide it off when not using the camper and store it inside my garage. I bought the optional center rafter even though it was not recommended as necessary for this size awning, and feel it was worth the extra money. Also bought ours from Interwest Sports. Not really happy with the twist lock poles. I think it could be special ordered with the better poles and rafters but the projection measurement would be shorter
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have a Shademaker awning. I bought it new as over stock on ebay. I bought the 8 foot wide model. The fabric is one piece. I do not leave it on the trailer when not in use. I keep it stored inside the trailer when I travel. My trailer sits out in the California sun every day. At 5'3" vertically challenged I have to have a step stool to slide the awning into the awning rail. I put the awning inside the trailer through the rear sliding window. It will fit through the door on my 13 foot Scamp but its a bit awkward trying to keep the belly out of the way while swinging it out the side door.

When I had my old pop up trailer with the 12 foot awning kept on the side of the trailer every day, it was always wet when you opened it up even though here in Socal you can count rainy days on your finger.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:43 AM   #5

Name: Kate
Trailer: Scamp
GA
Sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you just slide the awning off? The scamp I just purchased has an older model Shademaker awning and it seems stuck in the track.
kate8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:02 AM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate8888 View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you just slide the awning off? The scamp I just purchased has an older model Shademaker awning and it seems stuck in the track.
Shademaker installation instructions say to put a small screw at each end of the awning rail. Or maybe the rail is pinched shut at the ends.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 AM   #7

Name: Kate
Trailer: Scamp
GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Shademaker installation instructions say to put a small screw at each end of the awning rail. Or maybe the rail is pinched shut at the ends.
I've searched high and low and there is no evidence of those screws. Thanks for the response.
kate8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #8

New York
With ours I have to hold the bag up to take the weight off and get it straight out from the rail.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Rail may be full of dirt sticking things up. I use a support person on the end of the bag going in or out and roll the whole thing up towards the top of the rail to take the weigh off the rail as I slide it in or out.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, scamp