Shelf under front window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Since I took the couch back off several years ago I had made a small shelf under the window by simply adding a nice piece of oak to the ledge the couch back had been attached to. This shelf was only about 3 inches deep and just collected odds and ends as well as holding the speakers for my portable CD player. It generally started looking a little tacky after a day or two stationary.

I decided I needed a deeper shelf and one to hold some nic nac's that I might like to have with me as well as the speakers. I love California Quail and have a few wall hangings in the trailer. I decided the Quail cravings from my home would look great in the trailer so that's what I used for sizing of the shelf. The shelf is now about 6 1/2 inches deep. I simply cut a scrap piece of 3/4 inch plywood to the desired dimensions and trimmed it with aluminum angle adding carpet to the top. I was going to attach it to the existing shelf with 3 bolts but found one in the center worked just fine.

Even though the shelf protrudes out futher it does not interfere with the seating area.

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7693.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	25131
Attached Thumbnails
109_7695.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Joy,

Thanks so much for making a post about this; I always like to see your mods Especially since I have a front ledge in my Boler, too.

Can't help with the "Quail cravings" though
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Joy,

Bit dense here. Did you add the new 6 1/2 shelf on top of the old 3 inch one? Is the old one still under there and screwed into the bunk screw holes from the hinges?

Gee, now I can't remember if those holes are under the original support. I've always wanted a shelf there to hold my night time junk.

OK, tell me how to do this. I just drill from the top through the wood into the support? Do I cause any damage doing this? Don't laugh when you see my shelf being held up there with c clamps.

I like the quails. We are having a very mild November. Lots of geese and ducks landing out front before going south. Don't think we will be skating on the river on Thanksgiving day this year. Lake Superior is getting warmer than 10 years ago, causing more wind above the lake, causing less ice cover in the winter, causing evaporation of the water during the winter, causing lower lake level. Sorry I got off topic.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Joy! Nice job, as usual. We love quail too - had tons of them in the old junipers on our property near Reno. Now we feed a large number on the vacant land behind our RV site here in Quartzsite. Gets pretty busy back there at feeding time! Take care, and hope to see ya at Dome Rock in Feb! L 'n D
Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #5

Well Nancy, you are not all that dense. I wasn't all that clear or descriptive.

It's on top and no I didn't use the bunk screws holes at all. The bunk hinge holes are on the front of the original shelf/ledge, not the top or bottom. I went down through the top.

First, I decided on the size of the new shelf and cut the 3/4 inch plywood to the dimensions I wanted. I had a scrap of 1 1/2" aluminum "L" angle for the trim and cut it to length. Because my shelf has a curved front I had to bend the trim. I held it in place figuring where I would need to make some cuts taking out little triangular pieces to allow the "L" angle to bend around the corners. The trim is affixed with 4 small screws.

Second, I did a measurement to center a hole in the old shelf. I transferred the measurement to the new shelf and drilled a hole. I set the new shelf on the old snugging it against the front of the trailer. I held it in position on the old shelf put the drill bit through the hole and drilled down into and through the old shelf.

Third, I used the appropriate length bolt with a lock nut on the bottom. As I tightened the bolt it sort of countersunk into the plywood, enough that the bolt head is not in the way.

Fourth, I just layed a piece of carpet on the new shelf.

Fifth, I need to polish the aluminum trim. I noticed in my pictures that I had forgotten to do that.

I think that's about all.

Name:	109_7703.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	25134

Here's the 1 bolt holding the shelf. In the second picture look close in the center you can see the bolt.

Hey Nance, watch out it's raining here as you can see in the second picture. This storm should be to you in a few days. It's much bigger and colder up north in WA & OR which is what you'll probably get. We are on the bottom edge.
Attached Thumbnails
109_7702.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 11-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #6

Just a note: If someone with a Boler 13 (or older Scamp?) wants to do this mod, the holes for the bunk hinges *do* go through the top of the original ledge. So you could (re)use them if you wanted to have two fasteners on your new shelf - one out to each edge (if you have the sofa back removed).

Raya
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #7

Thanks Joy,

That looks like it would be perfect for my watch,clock,glasses,book,booklight and paperback. All that ends up on the stove top. But I really will look at my C clamp idea to see if I could try this out before drilling. Having the curtain hang down drives me nuts at night and I have to secure it to the window (usually don't use a curtain). If I can't tolerate the curtain, not sure I could stand having a shelf. I like every inch of bed without any thing in my way.

Nancy
Old 11-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Nice job, Joy.

You really do need to come to Quartzsite. Those little quail are everywhere. I love to watch them bob across the property I am on, and the little noise they make is kinda cute!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #9

Nancy, the new shelf sticks out twice as far as the old and really isn't in the way at all. I don't know what your curtain deal is but if you worry about people looking in, I'd bet with the wider shelf they can't see in. I overlap my curtain in the center and now will use the flowers or the Quail to keep it closed rather than all the junk I used to have on the little shelf.

Gina, I sure am going to try to make Quartzite this year. There is a very large property behind me which is just open country and I used to have Quail through my yard. I think the neighbors 3 or 4 cats are the cause of their disappearance. I sure miss them, the Quail that is. Hope to see you in February.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 11-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #10

Joy,

It isn't a privacy deal. It is an issue I have with curved side and curtain hanging down straight. It just bugs me, like the curtain is alive and is going to attack me or something. So, I use suction cups to keep the curtain on the window at the bottom.

I don't know if I will have an issue with a shelf there or not.

It is only November, we haven't even got to the dark days of winter yet and I am nuts.

I want to go to Quartzite too.

Nancy
Old 11-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #11

Quote:
It is an issue I have with curved side and curtain hanging down straight. It just bugs me... So, I use suction cups to keep the curtain on the window at the bottom.
Ooh, that's a good idea. I don't like the curtain gapping there because if I have curtains drawn, it's because I want privacy. Not someone walking up and looking in to the bed right through that gap.

I was thinking about a bottom curtain rod, or.... well, I hadn't thought up anything just right yet. Suction cups are an interesting idea. I'm not sure I'd want them permanently because they would keep me from just being able to open and close the curtain with ease, but they're at least a good idea in the meantime (and might end up "satisficing" for the long term).

Raya
Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Ooh, that's a good idea. I don't like the curtain gapping there because if I have curtains drawn, it's because I want privacy. Not someone walking up and looking in to the bed right through that gap.

I was thinking about a bottom curtain rod, or.... well, I hadn't thought up anything just right yet. Suction cups are an interesting idea. I'm not sure I'd want them permanently because they would keep me from just being able to open and close the curtain with ease, but they're at least a good idea in the meantime (and might end up "satisficing" for the long term).

Raya
One problem with these egg shaped trailers is the way curtains and blind hang straight down. That's all the windows in my trailer, except the very back window which is flat. I'm really getting into using magnets. The front window if it's plexi doesn't have a standard frame, but magnets could still be used if glued with strong glue to the gasket and another bunch of magnets sewed into a pocket of the curtain. You'd need to buy pretty strong magnets if there's a layer of fabric between the two magnets, but it should be doable. Since magnets are blackish in color, they'd nearly disappear on the gasket and wouldn't be visibly intrusive.

Something to consider.

Sorry for highjacking your topic Joy! And that's a nice mod. I bet we see a flurry of shelves being built and mounted
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler
For magnets that are REALLY strong,check out Lee Valley (www.leevalley.com) for their selection of rare earth magnets.we use them to hold keys on a steel notice board, and I'll be using tiny (1/4 inch in diameter) ones to attach price cards to a metal display rack. They're not expensive, and, boy(!), do they stick!!
Rick Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:	99k3330s2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	25140

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.asp...amp;cat=3,42363
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote