Shelter Shapes Next to Trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Shelter Shapes Next to Trailers

For those of us using shelters up against our little trailers...
I have often thought the roof shape of these things is all wrong for rainy days. The rain runs down the roof line to the trailer side against windows and ground making a big mess...ask me how I know.
In trying to come up with a better shape I thought of a lean to shape, then quansit hut shape using the flexible fiberglass long tent poles bowed then covered with whatever. *Found this in an old awning thread, Isn't it GREAT!* I have never seen these before, but know it would solve a lot of problems. Where do you find these now?????
Attached Thumbnails
GuidGearscreenRm.jpg  
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The European Caravans have this side of the pond shelters beat hands down! IF I was looking to add an awning, it probably would be a bag awning mounted on a flexible awning rail...second one down on this link: Awning Rail

For pictures like I'm talking about see this page! BIOD-weekend, september 2011
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have an awning that slides into an awning rail on my camper. Absolutely no leaks. Thats why I opted against a free standing. The awning is also really easy for me to set up solo.

I wonder if you were able to cinch up your freestanding tight against the camper with pool noodles between them if that would minimise the leaks? I agree with Donna, the european caravan awnings are really nice but, boy the prices!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #4

Virginia
I agree with Donna, European Caravan shelters are truly magnificant but out of the question $$$$$$ Wow the flexible rail could also be used inside our campers for curtain rails!
Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #5

Diane, I wasn't thinking so much of ordering a shelter as making one... or taking an already made shelter and modifying it... maybe like a rainfly between the shelter and the trailer using the flexible awning rail. Although if I won lottery, I'd probably order this one!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelter.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	56542

There are plenty of folks that sew, this may get them to scratching their heads
Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I think you could take one of the tents or screen rooms with an awning and modify it so the awning covered the trailer door opening. Like this.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Nat

Name: Nathan
Trailer: 75 Boler
B.C.
Thats pretty awesome Donna.

All it needs is fire retardent materials and a chimney chute with mesh to keep the bugs out.
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
These more elaborate screen rooms look great but I would hesitate to use one. Even if I was staying in one spot for several days, I don't know that the time and effort to erect it would be worth it. Of course, I don't camp with a partner or small children that you'd need to have a sheltered area for them in inclement weather.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Now that Donna has solved the curved awning rail issue it looks like you could adapt the R-Pod screen room. They work pretty well on a R-Pod. There are two sellers on E-Bay the other has free shipping. Not a bad a price if it works.
New 11' A E Dometic Cabana R Pod Dome Screen Room Awning Pop Up RV Tear Drop | eBay
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #10

Virginia
Has anyone ever seen these Lean to shape shelters? Just Curious...
Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've had a screen room for three or four yeare. It attaches to the awning on my Escape. I have yet to use it. Not sure I can remember how to install it.
However, if I head up north to black flies and mosquitoes, I expect it will come in handy.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #12

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Love that round party room. Looks so inviting. Sewing one, hmmm I;m good but probably not that good. LOL

I've been looking at a wide variety of awnings. My Hunter presents some challenges, it's so short on the side and has the door at the back end of the trailer. Then add to it that I'm frequently "camping" in a parking lot at a fiber show so I don't have a way to stake an awning down.
Awnings, Tents, and Add-A-Rooms seems to have a wide variety of types, also Googling campervan awnings has some options for me. Haven't found the perfect solution yet.
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I think you could take one of the tents or screen rooms with an awning and modify it so the awning covered the trailer door opening. Like this.
we have one of those Eureka Northern Breeze screen rooms, the awnings are way too low to work against a camper. We use a Shelter Logic 10 X 10 peak roof 4 leg shelter over our Uhaul. The Northern Breeze is a very nice screen room, we used it for three months this winter as our living room / dining room.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #14

Virginia
Look at these heavy duty suction cup awning header holders. Pricy but wow, so cool.
Mounting Kit for Side Tent, Awning, Add-A-Room
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Look at these heavy duty suction cup awning header holders. Pricy but wow, so cool.
Mounting Kit for Side Tent, Awning, Add-A-Room

If you were willing to spend a little less you could probably make one of these work for you. I have the yellow one and when wetted before locking I can't pull it off, no way no how.
Search results for: 'suction cups'
Old 03-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #16

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
I had an "add-a-room" that came with small Taos popup. I thought it was a cool bonus to get for free with the popup as they cost a lot of money.
I set it up once in my yard to see how it works. Turns out it takes so much time and effort to set it up that I never bothered to so do again.

Now, I do really like an awning attached to the trailer itself. I hope to figure out a nice solution for my Scamp16 within the upcoming camping season.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #17

Virginia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
If you were will to spend a little less you could probably make one of these work for you. I have the yellow one and when wetted before locking I can't pull it off, no way no how.
Search results for: 'suction cups'
Tom I love that fact that we can use suction cups. I have already found many uses for the large plastic ones. But these are way cool. Funny how little things are so enjoyable, especially on a snowy day!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #18

Name: Gary
Trailer: 89 13' Scamp
California
European caravan shelters

Donna, Just wondering if you might have a link to website for the european type shelters? They are Great. Guess they are quite pricey....... Ball park figure?
Thanks, GaryG
GaryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
We bought this several years ago at wally world for 90 $ or so. Even came with bug mesh for all 4 sides. I understand it doesnt deal with your interest as far as angles etc. But a something that created a connection to the trailer and doubled as a gutter to run the water back or forward might be a viable option.
Works good in light rain, bug screen works very well and replacement materials are available for it along with privacy panels.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00000823.jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
Donna, Just wondering if you might have a link to website for the european type shelters? They are Great. Guess they are quite pricey....... Ball park figure?
Thanks, GaryG
No Gary I don't have a link, sorry. I would imagine there might be something on each manufacturers website. The only ones I know about are the Landers and the Biods, both European. I've heard the shelters are "expensive," but that's subjective when compared to needs/wants.