Shelves above dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 76 Trillium
British Columbia
Shelves above dinette

Hi, I would like to fabricate shelves above my Trillium's dinette, maybe also above the front gaucho. How would I go about doing this? Do I need to affix backer plates to the FG or just go off the window support? Thoughts on shelving material and other considerations greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Judi
Attached Thumbnails
15541554251988418138024397360813.jpg  
judi z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:10 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Judi, all of the shelves in my Trillium 4500 are fastened metal brackets that are fastened to the interior window frames.

EDIT: I neglected to state that there are shelves on every wall, and that the where shelf terminates at a cabinet, the shelf is also fastened to the cabinet.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
It goes without saying that rotten wood makes a poor shelf support. So be sure to make sure wood is good.

Rear shelves are attached to the upper cabinet and the closet. as well as the top wood on all three windows. Front shelf is attached to kitchen cabinet, then the wood above front window. And as I recall, the bulged two layer vertical fiberglass beside the door.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Judi
Trailer: 76 Trillium
British Columbia
wood is good!

Re-did the windows last year. I used pvc wood composite in lieu of wood - will never rot again. Couldn't find any info on it being used by others, but so far I'm happy with it. For the shelving that exists with cupboards, is there a backer board glassed/glued to the fg to attach cabinets?
Cheers,
Judi
judi z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by judi z View Post
Re-did the windows last year. I used pvc wood composite in lieu of wood - will never rot again. Couldn't find any info on it being used by others, but so far I'm happy with it. For the shelving that exists with cupboards, is there a backer board glassed/glued to the fg to attach cabinets?
Cheers,
Judi
Composite pvc wood typically does not have the same screw holding power that real wood has. Those white trim pvc boards sold at Home Depot or Lowes have a softer foam inner core. So don't use heavy shelving material or put heavy objects on those shelves if that is the type of PVC lumber you used.

For the structural types of PVC lumber used for building decks and deck railings you need to use a #7 screw that has a coarse thread to get good grip power.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Took over 40 years for three pieces of wood to rot on my Trillium, with no signs of any maintenance ever. So I replaced them with new wood. I plan to maintain trailer and it’s stored inside too.

Shelves are all attached to the window wood. Lightweight fiberglass shelves. They are nice but not super useful. But better than no shelves.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:44 PM   #7

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We put a white truck lining food-safe plastic shelf above our galley to hold things like cups, tea canister, Kleenex, etc. It needed a center support because it was slightly bendy and sagged until Paul braced it up. But Amerigos have an inner paneling so attaching it was easier than to single-hulled rigs.