Shelves in closet? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
First off, I have to say that I have received many good ideas from this usegroup and many helpful hints.
Here's one back!
In my Bigfoot, there is the conventional hanger rod in the closet. While the bottom of the closet makes good storage for the Microwave Oven, much of the rest becomes wasted space, other than for some hangared clothes.
Walmart, Dollar Stores and others sell 'Closet Organizers' for shoes and sweaters. These are hanging cloth devices that have vertical bins with solid cardboard floors on them, which are ideal for sticking all sorts of things, including clothes.
They fit over the top rod with velcro tabs, and hang down with open fronts, but closed backs. PERFECT, for our 'Eggs' as they can be removed and folded up if not needed.
I also bought a Camping Kitchen Bag from Cabelas which has pockets on the sides, similar bins, and a zip-up front of weather resistant nylon which didn't work out as I originally wanted, but also now does this same job. In fact I am using it instead of the 'Closet Organizer' for now. It just fit better!
I'm attaching a picture of several of these used in a closet at our rental condo.
So, don't bother making permanent shelves in the closet areas and give these a try instead. Economical and no holes needed.
Let me know if this was helpful!
Mike .....>
Snowbirding (without the Bigfoot) for the winter in COLD Florida! Brrr!
Attached Thumbnails
Closet.JPG  
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hi mike...did you bring your winter woolies with you to florida? but it's still gotta be warmer than home!!!

as to those hangers...i have some in our other trailer, a stickie, and yes, they do work great. in our outback, in the closet, we installed some shelves that we bought at canadian tire, they are easily removable/temporary and adjustable. although i like the cloth organizers, i find them not supportive enough for the particular items i pack. but i am glad that they work well for you.
i want to maximize the usage of what small space there is, and the cloth organizers don't quite fill the entire width, and since i do not bring any clothing that i need to hang, that leaves wasted space.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Mike Pupeza... Here's a pic of the Ikea one I put in our former Boler. Made lots of storage room in the closet. I also found they had reinforced the corners of the closet with wood inserts inside the fiberglass so I got some self stick velcro and screwed 2 lengths into the inside corners of the closet to hold the awning poles.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
out_o___the_closet.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote