Shop reccomendations in Reno,NV for door/axle replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #1

Name: Nate
Trailer: Scamp 13
Nevada
Shop reccomendations in Reno,NV for door/axle replacement

After 4 months of searching, I am finally a proud new owner of an 85' scamp 13. For the most part it is in great condition. New wood floor with extra insulation under the floor and in all the compartments, new cabinets with stainless steel hardware, new cushions, new water tank and lines, new windows, 20" flatscreen with apple tv and antennae, and a roof mounted solar panel with a digital battery charger/maintainer. The major issues are a door that sags down and to the left, leaving a large gap along the bottom and lower sides, and of course a tired old "low rider" axle. I plan to go with a dexter 45 degree axle and 15" tires to accommodate the backcountry areas where I camp, and to match the tug (Tacoma with 3" lift on 32" tires). I've been in contact with Kent from scamp RE: a new door for $385. My problem is that there are no dexter dealers in my area (Tahoe/Reno) and I don't know of a good rv shop to do the door/hardware install. Any advice or reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.
solarscamp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
M_C

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
California
Have you checked with Paramount RV? I haven't had any personal experience with them, but have heard good reports.
M_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
can try rvservicereviews.com
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
If you are willing, or able, to tug over to Sacramento, I can recommend these folks as top notch. Allied Trailer Supply : WELCOME!

In my days as an RV Tech for a dealer in Sac, we would send our rigs that needed chassis work beyond what we could do with our limited facilities here, and they never disappointed. They also did my own rig, replacing everything from the backing plates out on my axle. They will work with you on timing as well.

AND, they have a Trillium on their home page, how can they be bad? LOL!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
The last time I was in Reno (last fall) I found a bunch of random stuff for my Bigfoot at Safari Stores. I wasn't in the market for chassis parts but I saw an awful lot of axle/hub/leaf parts in their parts department. Have you checked there?

Reno Full Service RV Repair | Safari Stores | RV Parts Redding
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #6

Name: Nate
Trailer: Scamp 13
Nevada
Thanks to all of you for the advice and prompt responses. This forum is great! I spoke to the guys at Paramount RV and they said I can have the door shipped there from Scamp, and they specialize in fiberglass repair and fabrication. They are also across the street from kro-built fabrication, which specializes in trailer axles, might be a one-stop shop if I can get dexter to ship an axle without an official distributor in the area.
solarscamp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Nate
Redneck Trailer Supply is a Dexter distributor and has a location in CO. If I pick up the axle from my local Redneck location there is no shipping charges.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle