Shore Power Inlet Location - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2022, 09:23 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Trillium
Indiana
Shore Power Inlet Location

Hi all… Doing a full resto on a ‘78 Trillium 4500. I was wondering if there is/are any rule(s) of thumb regarding where a shore power inlet can be located outside of an RV.

Ours was originally on the door-side of the RV. However, we’re considering relocating it on the opposite side of the RV, more in line with our water hookup, tank fill, and drain connectors. (Our thought is that it might be nice to have the shore power cable completely out of the way of where we sit under our awning. We also considered the back of the RV, but with the bumper, spare tire, and unique curves of the Trillium body, there’s actually not much viable space in the rear.) I’m doing a full rewire, so I can extend and route the interior electrical line for the shore power wherever without any trouble.

Is there a best-practice or convention for the location of the shore power inlet? Or is it essentially user-preference—wherever works best for the user? Any reason we SHOULDN’T relocate it to the non-door-side of the RV?

Thanks!
- Steve
snowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 03:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Having the shore power on the curb side of the trailer is indeed a foolish location at best. Why they even thought to put it on the curb side is rediculous. I've never been to any campground with hook-ups that had any utilities on the curb side of the site. That said, if you have room somewhere to install your shore power on the driver's side, (where it belongs,) I'd suggest installing an access hatch door on the outside of the trailer, preferably near your electrical equipment, (converter or power panel depending on what you have,) and I also would recommend installing a Marine style Twist-Lock 30 Amp inlet. Much more convenient than trying to cram a long wet dirty cord back inside the trailer. Simply unplug it, coil it up, and stow it somewhere convenient. This is what I did to convert my small cord access hatch to something much more user friendly.

The hatch I installed is the same rough opening cutout dimension as the original small electrical hatch sideways, it's just taller. And the "curvature" of the trailer hull is so minimal in this area as to be a total non-issue. It also comes with a keyed lock and no "mouse door."
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-Z.../dp/B007HRTSBG

If you opt for this hatch redux, the installation isn't very hard, but be sure to make yourself a paper template of the back side of the hatch and tape it to the trailer bulkhead where you want it, and then draw an outline of it on the side of the fiberglass. I have seen a few who attempted this mod without giving it proper thought, and just measured the dimensions, but not the radiused corners. They didn't really look at the hatch close enough to notice that all four corners are radiused. (They are not very rounded as far as the radius goes, but they're slightly so in the corners.) A few folks just cut a squared-off hole and then, (a little too late,) found that their square cutout left open gaps in the fiberglass where the radiused corners were. Don't be one of them!

The larger hatch also gave me enough clearance to install my hardwired PI 30 Amp EMS unit on the floor inside behind the converter.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I.../dp/B002UC6RSA

https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Mar...s%2C144&sr=8-2
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch2.JPG   New Electrical Hatch1.JPG  

New Electrical Hatch3.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:27 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowak View Post
Hi all… Doing a full resto on a ‘78 Trillium 4500. I was wondering if there is/are any rule(s) of thumb regarding where a shore power inlet can be located outside of an RV.

Ours was originally on the door-side of the RV. However, we’re considering relocating it on the opposite side of the RV, more in line with our water hookup, tank fill, and drain connectors. (Our thought is that it might be nice to have the shore power cable completely out of the way of where we sit under our awning. We also considered the back of the RV, but with the bumper, spare tire, and unique curves of the Trillium body, there’s actually not much viable space in the rear.) I’m doing a full rewire, so I can extend and route the interior electrical line for the shore power wherever without any trouble.

Is there a best-practice or convention for the location of the shore power inlet? Or is it essentially user-preference—wherever works best for the user? Any reason we SHOULDN’T relocate it to the non-door-side of the RV?

Thanks!
- Steve
On our Casita the cord is just behind the axle on the driver's side as we call it by the converter so the wire length is very short for installation. Water hookups is near it and the dump valves are just in front of that. We have an extra 30 amp cord since the Casita is shorter than a lot of RV's and we've had to run a longer cord when the electric box was a lot further back than the other hookups. We learned to have the cord when we couldn't hook up and had to go into town and buy one.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:30 PM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Having the shore power on the curb side of the trailer is indeed a foolish location at best. Why they even thought to put it on the curb side is rediculous. I've never been to any campground with hook-ups that had any utilities on the curb side of the site. That said, if you have room somewhere to install your shore power on the driver's side, (where it belongs,) I'd suggest installing an access hatch door on the outside of the trailer, preferably near your electrical equipment, (converter or power panel depending on what you have,) and I also would recommend installing a Marine style Twist-Lock 30 Amp inlet. Much more convenient than trying to cram a long wet dirty cord back inside the trailer. Simply unplug it, coil it up, and stow it somewhere convenient. This is what I did to convert my small cord access hatch to something much more user friendly.

The hatch I installed is the same rough opening cutout dimension as the original small electrical hatch sideways, it's just taller. And the "curvature" of the trailer hull is so minimal in this area as to be a total non-issue. It also comes with a keyed lock and no "mouse door."
https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-Z.../dp/B007HRTSBG

If you opt for this hatch redux, the installation isn't very hard, but be sure to make yourself a paper template of the back side of the hatch and tape it to the trailer bulkhead where you want it, and then draw an outline of it on the side of the fiberglass. I have seen a few who attempted this mod without giving it proper thought, and just measured the dimensions, but not the radiused corners. They didn't really look at the hatch close enough to notice that all four corners are radiused. (They are not very rounded as far as the radius goes, but they're slightly so in the corners.) A few folks just cut a squared-off hole and then, (a little too late,) found that their square cutout left open gaps in the fiberglass where the radiused corners were. Don't be one of them!

The larger hatch also gave me enough clearance to install my hardwired PI 30 Amp EMS unit on the floor inside behind the converter.

https://www.amazon.com/PROGRESSIVE-I.../dp/B002UC6RSA

https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Mar...s%2C144&sr=8-2
What would keep a thief from stealing your power cord? I've thought these would be handier but the theft problem has stopped me from doing it.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:25 AM   #5

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
What would keep a thief from stealing your power cord? I've thought these would be handier but the theft problem has stopped me from doing it.
Prior to owning my trailer, (for over 14 yrs now,) I was a boater for over 40 yrs. These removable shore power cords have been around for over 60 yrs in the Marine industry. In all my years of boating/trailering, I've never had a cord go missing, nor have I ever heard of anyone else having such a problem. Most people don't even look at shore power cords any more than garden hoses, but what may catch their eye is one of those expensive outdoor pedestal plug-in type surge protectors, which is why mine is installed, "hardwired," inside the trailer. Anyway, I'd worry more about my bicycles, camp stoves, coolers, etc. getting ripped off rather than my shore power cord.

A lot of people make silly statements about "I might coil it up and forget it on the picnic table" or I might forget to unplug it and drive off without stowing it."
All I can say is if you can't remember to unplug your trailer before you pull out, then you probably left your outriggers extended as well, or perhaps your water and sewer hoses. If you can't remember to do a simple check list "walk-around" prior to leaving, then maybe you might not be mentally cognitive enough to be driving on the road either. Just me.
As to forgeting to unplug the shore power, I'll say that ripping the plug out of the socket will cause a lot less damage than trying to leave with a "hard-wired" shore power cord which will take out your converter and probably a good section of the side of your trailer. You can't regulate "stupid" but then I regularly see people do a lot of stupid things all the time.
In short, I wouldn't be worried at all about my cord getting filched.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I prefer the marine type power inlet as I think it looks cleaner, is water resistant and very secure. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210816_183631.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	146312
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Prior to owning my trailer, (for over 14 yrs now,) I was a boater for over 40 yrs. These removable shore power cords have been around for over 60 yrs in the Marine industry. In all my years of boating/trailering, I've never had a cord go missing, nor have I ever heard of anyone else having such a problem. Most people don't even look at shore power cords any more than garden hoses, but what may catch their eye is one of those expensive outdoor pedestal plug-in type surge protectors, which is why mine is installed, "hardwired," inside the trailer. Anyway, I'd worry more about my bicycles, camp stoves, coolers, etc. getting ripped off rather than my shore power cord.

A lot of people make silly statements about "I might coil it up and forget it on the picnic table" or I might forget to unplug it and drive off without stowing it."
All I can say is if you can't remember to unplug your trailer before you pull out, then you probably left your outriggers extended as well, or perhaps your water and sewer hoses. If you can't remember to do a simple check list "walk-around" prior to leaving, then maybe you might not be mentally cognitive enough to be driving on the road either. Just me.
As to forgeting to unplug the shore power, I'll say that ripping the plug out of the socket will cause a lot less damage than trying to leave with a "hard-wired" shore power cord which will take out your converter and probably a good section of the side of your trailer. You can't regulate "stupid" but then I regularly see people do a lot of stupid things all the time.
In short, I wouldn't be worried at all about my cord getting filched.
The reason I don't want my surge protector inside my unit is in case it blows. It can cause a fire. I've seen them all black. In fact one in my house got hit by lightning and blow fire all over my security system and fridge almost setting our wall on fire. All appliances were safe but the blackened walls were scary. We went to a fire class at a rally where a professional fireman turned teacher for RVs showed us some surge protectors that had been hit. Also saw where the inside of the RV box had burned. We put a chain wrapped around our surge protector cord and around the pedestal so the protector can't be taken unless the cord is cut off or the chain is cut with bolt cutters. We pad lock the chain. If someone is that intent on stealing something they'll do it. Make it to difficult to steal and they'll go elsewhere. Guess we could chain the cord to the pedestal like we do the protector. I agree with all you other comments. Some people should not even drive let alone an RV or camper.
Old 06-12-2024, 12:09 PM   #8

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowak View Post

Thanks!
- Steve

Steve, did you end up doing this mod? I have a 1979 Trillium 4500 and considering it as well.
spidermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 05:36 PM   #9

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
The reason I don't want my surge protector inside my unit is in case it blows. It can cause a fire. I've seen them all black. In fact one in my house got hit by lightning and blow fire all over my security system and fridge almost setting our wall on fire. All appliances were safe but the blackened walls were scary. We went to a fire class at a rally where a professional fireman turned teacher for RVs showed us some surge protectors that had been hit. Also saw where the inside of the RV box had burned. We put a chain wrapped around our surge protector cord and around the pedestal so the protector can't be taken unless the cord is cut off or the chain is cut with bolt cutters. We pad lock the chain. If someone is that intent on stealing something they'll do it. Make it to difficult to steal and they'll go elsewhere. Guess we could chain the cord to the pedestal like we do the protector. I agree with all you other comments. Some people should not even drive let alone an RV or camper.

Well, what would I know about fire hazards? I'm only a retired career professional fireman, and I was the city's Fire Marshal for several years when I retired. I was also a state certified Fire Investigator and state certified Fire Inspector, as well as an Electrician. But then, never mind my knowledge, training, experience, etc.

And anyone with a cordless battery powered 3" rotary abrasive wheel cutter, readily available from any "big box store," can cut your "security chain" in under 30 seconds, so that is a false sense of security in itself. Just sayin'.

And, fwiw, there isn't a surge protector or EMS (electrical management system,) made that can sustain a direct hit. They are not designed to protect against 100,000+ volt lightning strikes. None of them are designed to handle that. Do some research.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:25 AM   #10

Name: Michelle
Washington
In all my years of camping, not once did I have anything stolen while in camp. (knocking wood). I must say that a few years ago, a sign at Grayland Beach SP in Washington did say to lock your coolers away as the local punk kids were stealing beer out of them. But as we don't drink, we didn't worry. Still, we don't leave our coolers out at night...raccoons are very adept at opening them.

The places to look out out for thieves is in the parkinglots of stores, or in one's driveway. We've had the backup camera cut off the of our Tundra while parked at Cabela's, and someone stole the axle hubcap off our Honda CR-V. Honda is VERY PROUD of them, it was over a $100 for a new one as the local junkyard didn't have any in a 500 mile radius.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote