Shower in 13 Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I am totally thrilled with the outcome of my fresh water washdown (exterior shower). To put quite simply, my 12 gallon water tank already has a drain port at the bottom of the tank. So, here's what I did.

1. Ran a hose from the drain port of my existing water tank to the intake of a 1 gallon/minute 12v pump (Campers World for $62)
2. Then ran a hose from the output of the pump through the existing drain hole in the floor of the Scamp.
3. I then ran the hose underneath the camper to the rear bumper (just used hose brackets)
4. Now this is the cool part - I drilled a 1" hole in the angeled part of the rear bumper and connected a quick connect device through the hole.
5. I mounted the switch underneath the AC unit on the inside of the camper.

I keep one of those coiled hoses and garden head attachment in my trailer box. On those hot days you can keep your skivvies on and shower at the rear of your camper. Or, if you are like me, you might find yourself camping in truly remote areas and not attached to any electrical or shower perks.

The hole project cost just under $80
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0901small.jpg   IMG_0903small.jpg  

IMG_0904small.jpg   IMG_0906small.jpg  

IMG_0912small.jpg   IMG_0910small.jpg  

LeBoutillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Excellent mod for the 13's w/o the shower!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Nicely done.

Since the pump intercepts the regular drain line, you could even power-drain the tank (for flushing or winterizing, or just lightening the load for the road).

Although this is an alternative to a regular shower installation, the mounting of the quick-connect fitting would also apply as a quick and easy way to hook up a hose to the pressurized water supply in a trailer with a pump, if an ordinary hose shutoff valve is installed between the quick-connect and the supply hose - of course this would only be practical if it is reasonably easy to reach under the bumper and flick the lever on the valve. There are also auto-shutoff quick-connect fittings, which only open to allow flow when a hose is plugged into them.

Is there a shutoff valve in this installation?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
BUT But but....isn't this sort of plumbing frowned upon
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Nicely done.

Since the pump intercepts the regular drain line, you could even [b]power-drain the tank (for flushing or winterizing, or just lightening the load for the road).

Although this is an alternative to a regular shower installation, the mounting of the quick-connect fitting would also apply as a quick and easy way to hook up a hose to the pressurized water supply in a trailer with a pump, if an ordinary hose shutoff valve is installed between the quick-connect and the supply hose - of course this would only be practical if it is reasonably easy to reach under the bumper and flick the lever on the valve. There are also auto-shutoff quick-connect fittings, which only open to allow flow when a hose is plugged into them.

Is there a shutoff valve in this installation?
No. I purchased the auto-shutoff quick connect fitting you mentioned and it works beautifully. A good way to check this is to disconnect the hose attachment and keep the 12V pump in the "on" position. If you don't have any leaks, the pump will not engage. If you hear the pump engage every few seconds, you have a pressure leak at some point in your line (just look for the drip).
Old 03-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
BUT But but....isn't this sort of plumbing frowned upon
Not that I hear. Think of it this way; its just a quicker way to drain your existing tank. There are no other drilled holes in the floor of the camper. You should however use pressurized hose (the kind with strands of wire or thread within the plastic ((like the one in my original photo)).
Old 03-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I assumed that Doug's concern is with the waste water, since the water that drains away from the shower while in use is uncontrolled grey water. I would use this setup, like any exterior shower, as a water-only (no soap) prewash, so there shouldn't be a concern. Effectively, it's just like the outside taps on a house, although in this case with a handy quick-connect fitting.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp