Side Table *Photos* - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
adding side table for the "lounge".....found these hinges for 15.00 at the rv store had the shelf already left over from another project installed this so I have extra shelf space for my beverage when the u dinette is set in place...a dvd player for when the bed is up....or a what not shelf when needed
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_remodel_017.jpg   scamp_remodel_016.jpg  

scamp_remodel_025.jpg  
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #2

what nobody loves this????/come on show a gal some love here!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well I do. I don't have an area to put a table like this, but I can appreciate the effort. Where you mounted the table the area looks like it might be over the wheel well? I was just wondering why you didn't mount the table on the cupboard door and make another opening into that particular area. But without seeing it, I can only speculate. Great idea, good job
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #4

I didn't put the shelf on the door because I always open that thing...afraid the extra weight might pull on those 6 screws holding the door on.........you are correct that is the wheel well area but there is a large gap when you open the closet so the machine screws that go thru are still inside the trailer. The shelf sits low like a coffee table...just another spot to set stuff (dvd player...my drink...ect)

Quote:
Well I do. I don't have an area to put a table like this, but I can appreciate the effort. Where you mounted the table the area looks like it might be over the wheel well? I was just wondering why you didn't mount the table on the cupboard door and make another opening into that particular area. But without seeing it, I can only speculate. Great idea, good job
Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
You are indeed a clever one, Brandy. Of course, I realized that from the first time I saw your "name tag" hat with the fish avatar so cleverly prominent in front. You are one to watch! Nice work.

Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:55 PM   #6

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Very nicely done!
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Well, seeing as how I just got back on here and noticed this creation Brandy, I'm STEALIN' IT!!!!

What s souper idea for mo'space!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
what nobody loves this?
Ya gotta adjust the nomenclature here...

Instead of a dinette with a side table... call it a [b]Lounge with a [b]flip-up Cocktail Bar.

That would go better with the Disco Ball and the Red Lighting.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I did this in my 13 foot Burro. I used one of the overly finished cubby covers the former owner made.

Click image for larger version

Name:	endup.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	16617

when in bed, was VERY handy as a side table for snacks, drinks and my glasses.

Attached Thumbnails
enddown.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 PM   #10

brilliant.....gotta come up with a trailer name now........hum...

Quote:
Ya gotta adjust the nomenclature here...

Instead of a dinette with a side table... call it a [b]Lounge with a [b]flip-up Cocktail Bar.

That would go better with the Disco Ball and the Red Lighting.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #11

must not look at floor.........so ...so nice

Quote:
I did this in my 13 foot Burro. I used one of the overly finished cubby covers the former owner made.

Attachment 16617

when in bed, was VERY handy as a side table for snacks, drinks and my glasses.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #12

Registry
Brandy, if you are concerned (as we were) about the closet door falling down/off (remember we added a full length mirror to the outside of the door?), replace the screws ONE AT A TIME with a nut n bolt assembly. It may not look all that sharp, but ours turned out not too too bad. Just be sure to do this one screw at a time (to help insure proper door/hinge alignment and rid the possibility of the door falling down in the process), drill the screw hole all the way through the door and insert an appropriate sized bolt (think small here) through to the other side and add on the nut. We used stainless ni-lox nuts and stainless bolts to avoid any problems with oxidization from condensation.

....an adendum to this BORING idea. First drill a very small 'pilot' hole through the door (in the screw hole, from the inside, out), then switch to the drill bit size you intend to use for the project and then drill this larger sized hole FROM THE OUTSIDE going in. If you drill from the inside out, the drill bit will 'explode' the other side of the hole in the door, making a bit of a mess.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Just FYI...

I was in my local Big Lots store, and there on the shelf in the cleaning/organize section, was a flip up shelf - complete with brackets and made of thick PVC. $12.00. I don't remember all the specifics, but do know that it's 36 inches wide - I just don't recall how deep they were. Came in white. Nice! I just can't figure out where I could put it in my trailer, but I'm still thinking about it!!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #14

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Nice Job and those flip -up tables always seem to be very handy, I'll have to make one for the Horizon. Tim
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Great job! Definitely worth repeating, so far I have found 2 places I want to add a flip up... beside the kitchen and now under the closet! Thanks for sharing all the great tips and ideas!

April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #16

I also have one beside the kitchen...heres a pic....defenitly adds alot of room and has proved very useful

Quote:
Great job! Definitely worth repeating, so far I have found 2 places I want to add a flip up... beside the kitchen and now under the closet! Thanks for sharing all the great tips and ideas!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1624.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
nice, that's it!! Only problem I found is our closet door is much lower down than the ones in the pictures, that would make a really low table. The closet door is really flimsy, I just had to replace screws that popped out when the closet door flew open durring transport, so I don't want to put more weight on it, so that is out. I am sure I will find a useful area to make a fold out table near the bed. Plenty of time to figure it out
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Very cool Brandy (and Gina). We'll have to steal that idea for our Trillium project.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #19

Registry
April, refer back to post #12 on previous page about the door issue!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
After our first trip in Scamper we realized there was nowhere to set drinks when in bed so we did a similar table. Put the microwave in the bottom of the closet and the table slides out over the microwave and then slides in and locks for travel.

Bed table in and locked:

Name:	bed_table.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	16656

Bed table out for use:

Name:	bed_table_out.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	16657

After a year and a half of Scampin it is still one of our favorite mods....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote