Siesta is finally done, my 76 scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Siesta is finally done, my 76 scamp

The project is finally done! I’m showing it in three parts. The rear view shows the new tire cover “Sleeping Sun”, which is why were naming the trailer ”Siesta”. The tail lights are LED and should show up nice at night. The door shot shows the curtain and rods made of 1/8” x 1/2” aluminum. I didn’t like the feel of the interior door handle and put some black shrink to fit covering over it. The interior of the door was sanded and I just painted the fiberglass. The interior shot shows the 2 person dinette in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
1.JPG   2.JPG  

3.JPG   4.JPG  

5.JPG  
DannyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Registry
This shows the hinged table to get into the seat near the kitchen. I built a cutting board for over the burners, the cutting surface was purchased at Target, it was just the right size, and I installed the sides. The kitchen has a pull drawer, a little drawer in front of the sink that I built, and a lower area for garbage. I used small hinges in the overhead cabinets, which help hold them open and closed. When I extended the bed 11”, I had a nice space where the floor dropped. I split it into 2 spaces, 2” was used as a wire/ propane run over to the door side. The other space will be used as a pantry. I wanted an canned or heavy food low and at the axle. One shot shows what we are using for clothes storage, the two big ones in front. The others storage containers in back will be used as spacers to push the front ones out and also to have additional storage. A bungee chord fits in front to keep them in place. The red and white bag has the awning poles and a loop in the bag to secure it to the bungee support. The last shot shows the “Control center”. From the bottom up it has, Propane/Co detector, Fire extinguisher, power center (AC & DC fuse panel), propane heater vented to outside (I made the cover and put a graphic on to match the tire cover), solar power monitor, battery monitor, dead man switch for the furnace, 3 light switch and 2 storage spaces. That’s a lot of stuff in a small space.
Attached Thumbnails
6.JPG   7.JPG  

8.JPG   9.JPG  

10.JPG   11.JPG  

Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #3

Registry
This shows the storage in the dinning area. The lower space in the seating is storage for the awning, chord and hammer. The one under the seat stores the Porta-Potti and the screen door behind it. I made a little area that also stores the TP next to the potti. I left the bed out to get around and show things better. There are a couple of full size shots. At the foot of the bed, next to the control center, is a tall cabinet for jackets, since I lost the closet by widening the bed. I have 14” clearance for my feet. I have a shot with the bed in, it’s 58” wide and feels great. You can see the curtains that my wife sewing up. The front, door and rear window have curtain rods top and bottom, the two side windows have them at the top and a bungee chord at the bottom to secure the curtain at night. I couldn’t work out a rod at the bottom with the opener in the way. The last shot shows what’s above the dining table. It has two switches, two AC and one DC socket. It was an interesting project and I look foreword to using it this year.
Attached Thumbnails
12.JPG   13.JPG  

14.JPG   15.JPG  

16.JPG   17.JPG  

Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
She is truly a beautiful thing. Job very well done.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Sweet!
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM   #6

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Wow! Nice work...
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
You've done very well in such a short time. Some of us take years to accomplish all that. I like your cupboard layout. Thanks for all the pictures they are well appreciated and you've given us all some food for thought. I hope to see it up close one of these days.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Thumbs up

kudos on such an efficient use of liminted space...perhaps the makers of these trailers should review your layout to allow for such a nice big bed!
congratulations!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #9

Registry
Thanks for the comments. Now my wife is worried about what I'll do with all my free time!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
I'm speechless and no longer looking forward to working on my interior! How do you people DO this kind of stuff? Where do you get the training??? And why can't you live closer to me?

Dan, YOU ROCK!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Dan this is a yacht on wheels! You need an anchor on the spare tire.

When do you plan to start customizing Airstreams?

Regards,

Matt
Old 02-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
GREAT! And, I get to see it in person at the Spring NOG
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
GREAT! And, I get to see it in person at the Spring NOG
I hope Danny's distributing drool bibs at the door!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Looks absolutely beautiful, love the extra storage.

Great job!
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
WOW!
Nice Job!

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #16

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Really really beautiful, it all works! The colors, the sun logo, the wood, the craftsmanship. Total harmony.
I'm inspired....
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Truly a thing of beauty. I really like the way the grain on the door panels matches the cupboard wood. I hope the manufacturers read the forums for research. This is, for me, pretty much the perfect layout for this size of trailer.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Just exquisite! I would just hate adding all the stuff you need for camping to that piece of art! Looks like you need to camp in a tuxedo.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
You did a great job. We just bought a new Scamp, but I can see that I have a lot that needs to be done to improve the storage.
skephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #20

Registry
Skephart, thats great news on getting a new scamp. I bet your just waiting to get a chance to be out in it, I know I am. Over the next month we will be figuring out how to put everything in ours. We usually car camp, and now not having the sleeping bags, tent, cots, sleeping pads, 2 containers of cookware, food containers, cloathes bag, shoe bag, extra blankets and pillows in the car, we should have a little more room in the back of the SUV. I'm just happy to not pack up all this stuff every time we want to go, besides not having to worry about having a soggy tent to dry out.

Tags
scamp