Single propane tank covers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Single propane tank covers

Would anybody like a source for a top quality single tank cover? Here's the deal. I'm working with a local upholstery guy to design a top quality cover for my new Lite Cylinder. I suggested to him that there may be a market for such an item because basically nobody makes a decent option for single tanks. These covers will be made of super Hd 18oz mesh reinforced marine fabric with double thickness stress points, contoured fit, super HD zippers and SS hardware, easy on/off, access port for valve, passthrough for the hose, solvent welded construction so no threads to rot. I'm talking military grade everything . The design fits tanks that fit in the V of the tongue, but could be used other places.

I suggested that 4 models would cover most all the needs: 5 and 7.5 gal steel tanks, and 5 & 7 gal Lite cylinders. We are using my Scamp and tanks to develop the patterns. I can't mention cost yet, but it appears we are talking a very reasonable sum.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight. No financial connection or anything else. I just met Keith. I just see a great need, and potentially a great fix. Once we get the details worked out I'll just post contact info for Keith, and I'm out of the picture. Keith is a great guy, so sending a little work his way pleases me. Everybody wins.

If there is interest, Keith will tool up and get to it. So the questions is: is there interest??? If so we will continue, and I will post pics when mine is done and perhaps one of the steel tank models is done. If no interest, we won't bother. I'm sure looking forward to getting mine

Thanks!
David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Would anybody like a source for a top quality single tank cover? Here's the deal. I'm working with a local upholstery guy to design a top quality cover for my new Lite Cylinder. I suggested to him that there may be a market for such an item because basically nobody makes a decent option for single tanks. These covers will be made of super Hd 18oz mesh reinforced marine fabric with double thickness stress points, contoured fit, super HD zippers and SS hardware, easy on/off, access port for valve, passthrough for the hose, solvent welded construction so no threads to rot. I'm talking military grade everything . The design fits tanks that fit in the V of the tongue, but could be used other places.

I suggested that 4 models would cover most all the needs: 5 and 7.5 gal steel tanks, and 5 & 7 gal Lite cylinders. We are using my Scamp and tanks to develop the patterns. I can't mention cost yet, but it appears we are talking a very reasonable sum.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight. No financial connection or anything else. I just met Keith. I just see a great need, and potentially a great fix. Once we get the details worked out I'll just post contact info for Keith, and I'm out of the picture. Keith is a great guy, so sending a little work his way pleases me. Everybody wins.

If there is interest, Keith will tool up and get to it. So the questions is: is there interest??? If so we will continue, and I will post pics when mine is done and perhaps one of the steel tank models is done. If no interest, we won't bother. I'm sure looking forward to getting mine

Thanks!
David
YES, YES! That is one thing I really hate about our rig is the d--m ugly tank. Count me in. Suggestion about shipping, US Post Office one price boxes.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
David, Pix will be very important and exact measurements. Great idea and supporting local workers is the AMERICAN way. Thankfully something that wont be stamped made in CHINA.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Do you mean something like this?

Tank cover

I have the single 20lb tank cover - mine does have the cool zip off top like that though - just snaps down and it can be a bit of a pain to snap back together.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
David, Pix will be very important and exact measurements. Great idea and supporting local workers is the AMERICAN way. Thankfully something that wont be stamped made in CHINA.
This is one man shop in a small town. No China. I really like supporting this kind of thing. I'll get pics once we get a couple made. Dimensions as well.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
This is one man shop in a small town. No China. I really like supporting this kind of thing. I'll get pics once we get a couple made. Dimensions as well.
understand that but was wondering if your idea is the same concept?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Me too! And it's not from China so fantastic! Maybe consider offering a double tank cover in the future? Gee, could they be offered in colors other than white so they dont show dirt so easily? A red tank cover would coordinate nicely with the red lettering on the Scamps, blue covers to match Casitas etc.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Do you mean something like this?

Tank cover

I have the single 20lb tank cover - mine does have the cool zip off top like that though - just snaps down and it can be a bit of a pain to snap back together.
Carol,
The only similarity is that they are both soft covers . These have no elastic. They are fitted and held down very securely by positive stainless hardware. Easy on and off. The quality will be no comparison. You'll likely never need another one unless someone steals it. In fact, I'm getting grommets in the back for a cable lock. There are no snaps to struggle with. They connect with stainless steel turn locks.

The covers you linked are only available for the 20lb bottle, and there is nothing anywhere for the Lite Cylinders.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Oh! Maybe quality spare tire covers could be his next project after this??
Old 02-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #10

Name: Rickie
Trailer: 78 scamp '13
Michigan
I would also be interested possibly as well, cost; color; and how easy it is to remove. I have a scamp as well and would love to see pictures
XL milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #11

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Me too! And it's not from China so fantastic! Maybe consider offering a double tank cover in the future? Gee, could they be offered in colors other than white so they dont show dirt so easily? A red tank cover would coordinate nicely with the red lettering on the Scamps, blue covers to match Casitas etc.
Hi Melissa,
We talked about colors and I believe the plan is to offer a color choice for a slight upcharge over the white. I agree conpletely about the colors maintaining their look better. Mine will be done in a light gray for that reason. He had some very pretty blue in the shop. I think this material comes in like 8 or 10 colors. I saw the color swatches in the book when I ordered mine.

Doubles maybe later. I think for now just the singles since there are other options for the doubles. Of course it's his deal. I'm just helping with design.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #12

Arizona
If everyone interested could list the type/size of tanks they have, that would be helpful. The plan is make my cover and one for a 20 pound steel tank since I have those on hand. The 30 pound steel would be the same of course but taller. The reason we are doing different covers for the steel tanks and the Lite Cylinders is that they have different shaped tops. The covers are custom fitted, not just sack pulled down over the tank.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #13

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Oh! Maybe quality spare tire covers could be his next project after this??
Maybe I hear you about the tire covers, mine is junk. I get so sick of buying junk because I can't find anything better. That's why I'm doing this. Some of these covers are so cheezy that you can barely install them the first time without ripping the seams.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #14

Registry
David for what is is worth having had my cover for a few years all I can say is that what ever you make the key point for me as to whether I buy another or not is how easy it is to turn the tank on and off without having to open up more than one or two closures. Also what ever the closures are they be located to the side rather than the back of the trailer. Hate having to fight to close it between the tank and the battery which is closer to the house. I too would like something other than white!! Hot pink maybe?????
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #15

Trailer: 80 HawaiiLo 16 ft
David, this sounds real good. I'd be interested, however with a little nip an tuck.
See pic. Keith
Attached Thumbnails
CPT 2.jpg  
Jayfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have the single 25 lb lite fg cylinder and was thinking about the cover. How would one see the liquid/gas? Are you having a window installed down the side to allow the liquid/gas be measured?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
David for what is is worth having had my cover for a few years all I can say is that what ever you make the key point for me as to whether I buy another or not is how easy it is to turn the tank on and off without having to open up more than one or two closures. Also what ever the closures are they be located to the side rather than the back of the trailer. Hate having to fight to close it between the tank and the battery which is closer to the house. I too would like something other than white!! Hot pink maybe?????
I agree with those concerns. There is a zipper on the top for really easy access to the valve. It's a no fumble deal. Zip it open, turn the valve, zip it shut. I understand the closure concern too. I'm addressing the ease of access and ease of function as well. Part of it using closures that don't require force or clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have the single 25 lb lite fg cylinder and was thinking about the cover. How would one see the liquid/gas? Are you having a window installed down the side to allow the liquid/gas be measured?
I have the same tank and the same concern. Hell, that''s the main reason I went fiberglass. We are examining options to find one that works well. We may use the window, but the problem is that the window will yellow over time. The cover will probably outlast any window material. We are experimenting with various opening schemes. Part of the problem though is that the cover will block light going through the tank. That will make seeing the level harder I think. Remains to be seen. It may end up that removing the cover is the best option for checking the level. With the mockup I made, I could remove the cover, check the level, and replace the cover in about 30 seconds. The reason it is so fast is that I'm using no fumble connections. No snaps to struggle with, no elastic to fight, no difficult alignments. That's the long answer. The short answer is yes there will be a convenient way to check the level

David
Old 02-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
How about a zip up opening vs a window, unzip to determine level of gas and zip to close. Another zip opening around top to turn the valve on/off.
One issue that may exist is the method of tank attachment, mine is a circular expandable clamp that secures the tank that will be on the outside of the cover to also help secure it. I've lost covers before on other models.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
Here is a hard cover that someone made for their Boler to cover the propane tank and a battery.
Attached Thumbnails
1439 (640x480).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #20

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How about a zip up opening vs a window, unzip to determine level of gas and zip to close. Another zip opening around top to turn the valve on/off.
One issue that may exist is the method of tank attachment, mine is a circular expandable clamp that secures the tank that will be on the outside of the cover to also help secure it. I've lost covers before on other models.
Harley,
A side zipper for inspection on the Lite Cylinder covers is being considered. As long as enough light penetrates the cover to backlight the liquid, that option will be a go. Believe me, I've got plenty of gray weather here to test that condition. The zipper will be captured at both ends so you won't have that reattachment fumble. I've got a real fobia of fumbling . I hate poorly designed items that force it on me. I purposely left a little room inside the cover both for ventilation, and to accommodate some mounting options. I'll show you the simple bracket that I built for mine. It holds the tank from the side. The entire thing is under the cover and very unobtrusive. There is no way this cover will blow off. Even if the hold downs are left unfastened, the cover is captured by the hose passing through.

Once I get pictures people can see how it attaches

Tags
propane