sink finish - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

Name: J and V
Trailer: 71 Boler
British Columbia
sink finish

Our Boler sink has a spot the size of a quarter that is damaged and rusty. I really love the vintage green of it and want to restore it, while we are also replacing the plug part. Can you paint a sink with just enamel paint? Do I need to do any special prep work, special paint? I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this before.
jandv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
There are kits available at the big box lumber stores for repairing ceramic sinks and tubs; available in the common colors....avocado??
Old 08-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Just noticed you're in BC. Your Boler wouldn't be yellow, would it?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Had an old guy pass on this approach to fixing ceramic fixtures, worked well on an old tub.

Use the eraser on a new pencil (use the flat like a stamp) or a small paint brush to just apply enamel paint as a drop or dab. Want to avoid brush strokes and keep the paint all inside the damaged spot.

After it dries hit patch area lightly with really fine wet/dry sandpaper using water around 400 or 600 grit as I recall. The wet sanding is just to keep from getting a ridge at the edge of the repair or high spots in it and to help the next coat stick.

Apply more paint dabs and repeat sanding until the chipped area is filled in level with the rest of the enamel. Polish with some rubbing compound.

Doing a white tub in an old house it worked pretty decent to make the repair blend in.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

You could try a powder coat paint

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
chris cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

Name: J and V
Trailer: 71 Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Just noticed you're in BC. Your Boler wouldn't be yellow, would it?
Yes, we are in BC, but no, our Boler is not yellow. It is all white but we have plans for it. I really like Black and White but our tow vehicle is forest green and we are contemplating that one too.
jandv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #7

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I have the same green sink with a rust spot, I found that the paint was more expensive than a sink at Ikea at $35. The sink loses the vintage look though.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Bathtub refinishing is done with an epoxy paint; probably doesn't come in a matching color though. If you REALLY want to refinish it right, take it to a sandblasting shop and strip the whole thing and put a finish on it you like.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Your sink is porcelain over steel (hence the rust). Yes you can "fix" it with epoxy, etc., but it's NOT the same. With epoxy, you must be careful... cleaners, pots 'n pans, knives... whatever, are going to affect that repair.

I only know of one business that will re-porcelain a sink (there maybe others!). It's not cheap... Gigi's Hollydale Appliance & Reporcelain

IMHO, I'd "fix" it the best I could, make a sink cover (so know one knows what's underneath)... then go camping and make MEMORIES! YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Reason I mentioned repair with enamel paint was you can possibly color match. Emphasis on possibly. You might have better luck at a paint store rather than a big box store, and it may end up being a close match that looks better than rust stain rather than identical.

re-porcelain service such as Donna mentions would be the only way I know to maintain vintage color and porcelain. Powder coat painting would probably be less expensive but I imagine they would have to sandblast to metal then coat so it would also be all new finish same as re-porcelain. Both options are worth phone calls in my opinion. My suggestion only has cheaper going for it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote