Solar Air Conditioner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2003, 01:24 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Solar Air Conditioner

:wave
Is anyone out there running an air conditioner off of solar panels and 12V batteries? We would like to know (1) how many panels and what size they're using, (2) how many batteries, and (3) what size inverter?

We're thinking of going this route with a Polar Cub in our 1979 Trillium and could use a "baseline" from which to dream, imagine and plan.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:26 PM   #2

A Lot a whole lot

I run a 5000 btu widow ac off a 1500 watt 3000 sufe power inverter
it draws about 80 dc amps and will suck the life out of my deepcycle battery in 2 hours or less constant running. a 100 watt panel will put out about 6 amps. and at about 700 dollars.
Thats a whole lotta solar panels At $$$ .
Great idea but a generator would be much more cost effetive.
PS a good dc fan and shade really help on hot days.

Old 06-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Orginally posted by Bonnie Copeland

:wave
Is anyone out there running an air conditioner off of solar panels and 12V batteries? We would like to know (1) how many panels and what size they're using, (2) how many batteries, and (3) what size inverter?

We're thinking of going this route with a Polar Cub in our 1979 Trillium and could use a "baseline" from which to dream, imagine and plan.
Bonnie,

I fear 'tis but a dream. Not enough acreage on your Trillium for enough panels to run an AC.

If the AC is 13,500 BTU, that's almost 4000 watts. That would take at least 34 panels rated at 120 watts each. My 120 watt panel measures 26"x56" or 10 square feet. You'd need about 340 square feet of panels. Unless your Trillium is 50' long, you don't have enough acreage.

All this assumes the panels are very efficient and there are no clouds. In real life, it gets worse.

You might be able to run an evaporative cooler, but that wouldn't help much in Costa Mesa, eh?

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but realistically you have to change your expectations for solar. I use mine to replenixh my battery for power for lights, to pump water and maybe to ventilate or to run a propane furnace.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear. :huh

Tags
solar, solar power