Solar Charge Controller Installation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
The following is a link to a video of the installation of a Sunsaver MPPT Solar Charge controller in the Boler.

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Great video. I love seeing solutions to problems that may apply to situations I come across.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Good information, but this guy sure does overkill in sizing some of his cables. Though, that is better then undersizing therm.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Quote:
Good information, but this guy sure does overkill in sizing some of his cables. Though, that is better then undersizing therm.

Jim is correct, the cables are oversized if the panels were to remain only on the trailer all the time. I do however have a 50 foot 10 gauge extension for the panels that may be used at times. ie:trailer is parked in the shade while panels are mounted on truck which is parked in the sun. The wire run was sized to give me a 3% line loss over the entire section of the run, including the extension cord.

I am using a 24 volt panel array(two 12v panels each with an Imp of 4.8 amps, wired in series) to charge a 12 volt battery bank. Originally I had purchased a different controller and was going to wire the panels in parallel. However, when wired in parallel the size of the wiring must be doubled to handle the extra current at the lesser voltage. A 50 foot extension run of 8 or 4 ga. would be too cumbersome and expensive.

As it is configured right now the run of wire is as follows:

50 ft. of 10 ga. extension
PLUS
25 ft of interior 10 ga run to charge controller
1.5 ft run of 8 ga. from controller to busbars
4 ft run of 4 ga from busbars to battery.
(remember to double these values when using the voltage drop calculator as you must account for the total length of the positive and negative runs)

In the above run the line loss from the array to controller is approx 3.05% while the line loss from the array to battery is 3.17%

If the panels remain on the roof and the extension is not used then the line loss from array to controller is 1.04% while the line loss from array to battery is 1.16% (this is "overkill" if this is your only wiring setup for the solar charging)

Here is a link to a useful tool. It is a voltage drop calculator designed by members of the Northern Arizona Wind and Sun discussion forum. It has a few quirks to it but it will point you in the right direction if you wish to calculate wire sizes for your own installation.

http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/voltage...alculator_.xls

If you don't have Excel then you can download a free version of OpenOffice at

http://www.openoffice.org/

In small applications such as our trailers I don't think the line voltage loss is that critical, so don't sweat it if your numbers don't add up to exactly 3%.
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel