Solar Panel Install Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Solar Panel Install Question

Here's an uneducated (notice I didn't say 'stupid' or 'dumb', although you are perfectly free to label it such in the privacy of your own thoughts!) question:

I'm getting ready to attach a 100 watt solar panel to the battery on my 2003 Scamp 16. The panel comes with a 30 amp PWM style controller. So I attach the wires from the battery to the controller, then attach the wires from the solar panel to the controller. The battery also receives charge from the tow vehicle alternator via the 7-pin plug (when connected), and from the converter when connected to shore power. My question is: Do I need to worry about these three charging sources overlapping or having disputes that result in something getting shorted out or the battery receiving an over charge?

Thanks for input/clarifications!
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
As long as you follow the wiring diagram that came with the kit you should be good to go. Are you mounting the solar panel on the roof of the Scamp?

I have a solar setup for my Boler with a small solar panel I set where ever the sun is, but an looking for a bigger solar panel to mount on the roof.

Pics of your setup would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Here's an uneducated (notice I didn't say 'stupid' or 'dumb', although you are perfectly free to label it such in the privacy of your own thoughts!) question:

I'm getting ready to attach a 100 watt solar panel to the battery on my 2003 Scamp 16. The panel comes with a 30 amp PWM style controller. So I attach the wires from the battery to the controller, then attach the wires from the solar panel to the controller. The battery also receives charge from the tow vehicle alternator via the 7-pin plug (when connected), and from the converter when connected to shore power. My question is: Do I need to worry about these three charging sources overlapping or having disputes that result in something getting shorted out or the battery receiving an over charge?

Thanks for input/clarifications!
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #3

Arizona
Hey Rick,

The directions are not specific to this particular install; the instructions assume you're hooking up the panel to the battery with no other complications or components in the system.

I haven't decided on a final solution to the question of where to put the panel. For now I'm going to use a simple A frame and sit it on the ground near the front of the trailer. Long term I'll probably mount to either the top of the trailer using VHB tape, or to the front of the trailer in place of the 'rock shield' over the front window. I'm going to mount the charge controller in the face of the front bench, where it will be just a few feet from the battery. I'll post pic when that's done.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #4

Name: Denis
Trailer: trillium 15
Ontario
solar system

Hi you don't have to worry about overcharging . that's what your regulator is for , all your power sources are regulated . so enjoy , just make sure your positive is on positive and negative on negative . your good to go .... Dan
trilliumdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I did the same hookup on my Scamp 19, used two 50w panels, and was very happy with the results. I did hook all the wires before I hooked it to the battery. Panels to the controller, then the wire to the batteries from the controller. I found that my batteries were fully charged by noon on most days.
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Where did you mount your solar panel? I am shopping for a new solar panel and wonder how many mount them on the roof?

Some pics of peoples installs would be nice to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsteve2002 View Post
I did the same hookup on my Scamp 19, used two 50w panels, and was very happy with the results. I did hook all the wires before I hooked it to the battery. Panels to the controller, then the wire to the batteries from the controller. I found that my batteries were fully charged by noon on most days.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #7

Arizona
Thanks for easing my worries! I figured all three possible power sources were going through some voltage regulation, but didn't want to make a mistake and create a feedback problem or something. Positive to positive; negative to negative; to infinity and beyond!
Old 12-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #8

Arizona
I haven't permanently mounted the panel yet Rick, but will probably mount to the roof. I purchased the 'Renogy Solar Bundle' from Amazon: a 100 watt monocrystalline panel with a simple 30 amp PWM controller, I'll be providing extra wire and what ever mounting hardware I finally decide to use. It looks like a first class panel, gets good reviews, and the 'bundle' is currently $162 with free shipping. Here's the url:

Amazon.com : Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Bundle Kit : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 12-25-2015, 01:28 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
All 3 systems have charge controllers so when it is full they will stop charging .good set up.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #10

Name: Joe
Trailer: building
Georgia
ooooooh, three different systems connected to the same battery pack. at first i thought he was trying to connect 3 different sources to the same controller. some are built for more than 1 input. most are not.
wessonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel