Solartent Comfort Canopy for 13' scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Solartent Comfort Canopy for 13' scamp?

I am looking for a canopy for my 13' scamp for a while but did not really like the pop-ups. I just saw the "skincom solartent comfort" for about $70. This would fit the round form of the scamp very nicely. Did anyone ever see one in real? I wonder how stable it is and if it is hight enough for the door (85" high).
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it may not be high enuff, but you can put the legs on blocks.

I would be concerned about water shedding toward the trailer, but you can set it away from the sides. You'll have a "Wet alley" between the trailer and canopy that way, but that may not be a big deal
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Do you want to put this over the camper, or in place of an awning?

I know it's heavy but the Coleman Max pop up 10 x 10 is tall enough to walk over the camper far enough to be over the door and prevent the "wet alley" Gina mentions when used instead of an awning.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
My idea was to put the free side towards the camper (put the camper were the boy with the ball is). This should be instead of an awning in the summer. I like that I can move it to other places, too. I am not so much concerned about a "wet alley" "when it rains, you get wet" and this should be mostly for sun protection.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Would be interesting to see. Might act to divert more breeze into camper depending on sun side being somewhat opposite of breeze direction.

Without side panels pop up canopies force one to move to stay in the shade. This looks like it sort of combines side and overhead, with enough open at the bottom to allow breeze to come through. I would make sure that there is provisions for staking those plates down, or plan on drilling some holes. That looks like it would roll even better than a pop up in a high wind.

An egg with a sleeve, now that would be different yes indeed.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #6

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Where would you get one of these? The website says they aren't available in Canada and the US.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
Registry
I just ordered one. Will see how it fits and report back. They are sold by vminnovations on amazon, ebay and their own website. Interestingly the price is much lower to the ones in Europe. Amazon has a green one I wanted but it is in reality brown.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1983 scamp 13
Florida
I cannot wait to see your impressions. I have been looking for something as well, and this has piqued my curiosity. Could woor out well.
firebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: 1983 scamp 13
Florida
Looks like the OP already ordered this canopy. But for anyone else interested in this, they are actually cheaper through VMInnovations directly, and they are stilled shipped for free. If you enter "wevalueyou" in the code box it will save you an extra 5%. Total is $66.50. Just a heads up...
firebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Registry
We finally got a chance to test the canopy at Assateague. It works very well, I think it should fit over the door (I have the lower scamp version, a 2002) - but we did not install it like that (see picture). A nice feature is that one can just put the panels down to prevent the wind from blowing it away during the day. The back works very well to protect from the sun in the morning but also makes it much more wind sensitive (we never attached it fully), it is a bit wobbly and a bit on the heavy side, too. Overall I like its functionality and shape a lot, though.

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1014.jpg   IMGP1017.jpg  

IMGP1027.jpg  

Tags
scamp, solar