Spare Tire Cover - Matches Tablecloth - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,445
Registry
Spare Tire Cover - Matches Tablecloth

[Moderator's note: This thread was split from the Interiors thread.]

Note that the spare tire cover matches the tablecloth. (Yes, I made it out of a second tablecloth!)
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg  

__________________
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 204
Registry
Spare Tire Cover

Gilda, did you make your tire cover? We're looking to replace the one that came with our trailer.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 273
Registry
I'm with Marsha -- do you have a pattern or tips on how to make a new tire cover?
__________________
LUCINDA 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | Steve, Rosemary, Maude Pod & Tripawd Hope
'Glass trips: Moab 03/10 * The Swell 5/26/11 * Antelope Island 12/21/11 * Strawberry Res 6/12 * Whitney Res 6/14 * Uintahs 7/15 * East Fork of Black's 6/16 * St Mary-Ennis-Lava 6/18
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,445
Registry
Yes, I made the spare tire cover and it is "sew" easy! I used a waterproof tablecloth for the fabric. (Buy two so you have a matching picnic tablecloth.) Because mine is lightweight it was easy to sew. If you use heavy vinyl it will be much more difficult to sew, but more sturdy. Because I store my trailer outdoors I put on a utilitarian spare tire cover and only use the decorative one when I am on the road.

Instructions: (read all the way through before beginning)
Simply cut a circle with a 25" diameter. (this allows for a 1/2 " seam all around). Cut a strip 8 1/2" deep and 80" long. Purchase about 6' of 1/4" elastic cord used to make thin bungee cords (available by the foot from a hardware store). Note: If you can't cut a strip 80" long simply piece one together ( I used about 3 strips). Optional: Homemade piping 80" long.

1. Pin the right sides together of the circle and strip.
2. Sew the strip to the circle.(Alternatively, you could sew homemade piping in the seam, but this is a lot of work if you don't sew much.)
3. Optional if you did not sew in the piping: Turn the seam allowance toward the strip and topstitch 1/8" away from seam on the strip. This keeps the seam smooth.
4. Fold edge of strip in about 1" and sew 1/4" from edge, forming a channel for the elastic and put the elastic in the casing as you sew. This is the trickiest part as you have to cinch up the casing as you sew.
5. Try on the cover on the tire, tie and cut the excess cord.
6. There you have it a brand new spare tire cover!
__________________
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Posts: 204
Registry
Sounds easy enough. Thanks Gilda!
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 273
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Yes, I made the spare tire cover and it is "sew" easy! I used a waterproof tablecloth for the fabric. (Buy two so you have a matching picnic tablecloth.) Because mine is lightweight it was easy to sew. If you use heavy vinyl it will be much more difficult to sew, but more sturdy. Because I store my trailer outdoors I put on a utilitarian spare tire cover and only use the decorative one when I am on the road.

Instructions: (read all the way through before beginning)
Simply cut a circle with a 25" diameter. (this allows for a 1/2 " seam all around). Cut a strip 8 1/2" deep and 80" long. Purchase about 6' of 1/4" elastic cord used to make thin bungee cords (available by the foot from a hardware store). Note: If you can't cut a strip 80" long simply piece one together ( I used about 3 strips). Optional: Homemade piping 80" long.

1. Pin the right sides together of the circle and strip.
2. Sew the strip to the circle.(Alternatively, you could sew homemade piping in the seam, but this is a lot of work if you don't sew much.)
3. Optional if you did not sew in the piping: Turn the seam allowance toward the strip and topstitch 1/8" away from seam on the strip. This keeps the seam smooth.
4. Fold edge of strip in about 1" and sew 1/4" from edge, forming a channel for the elastic and put the elastic in the casing as you sew. This is the trickiest part as you have to cinch up the casing as you sew.
5. Try on the cover on the tire, tie and cut the excess cord.
6. There you have it a brand new spare tire cover!
Thanks Gilda -- I think even I can figure that out!
__________________
LUCINDA 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | Steve, Rosemary, Maude Pod & Tripawd Hope
'Glass trips: Moab 03/10 * The Swell 5/26/11 * Antelope Island 12/21/11 * Strawberry Res 6/12 * Whitney Res 6/14 * Uintahs 7/15 * East Fork of Black's 6/16 * St Mary-Ennis-Lava 6/18
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:42 PM   #7
Obi
Junior Member
 
Name: Obi
Trailer: Scamp 13
Il
Posts: 2
Hi Gilda!!!
Thank you. I just made the spare tire cover. Was feeling accomplished, and so made a propane tank cover to match.
Obi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 04:57 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Markz's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Posts: 683
Registry
You made that look SEW good.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:22 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,445
Registry
Ha, ha! Thanks Markz! Was I surprised to see my 2013 thread show up now.

We sold our beloved 2011 13' SCAMP recently to a lovely family with two young kids. I gave them "first dibs" on all my interior decor as well as the little outdoor decor such as this tablecloth and wheel cover. What was left of 8 themes I gave away to FGRV members. It was a joy to see all my decor and our trailer go to "good homes".
__________________
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jerrybob's Avatar
 
Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Posts: 353
Beautiful...you could eat off that tire cover!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:00 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 435
Decor !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Ha, ha! Thanks Markz! Was I surprised to see my 2013 thread show up now.

We sold our beloved 2011 13' SCAMP recently to a lovely family with two young kids. I gave them "first dibs" on all my interior decor as well as the little outdoor decor such as this tablecloth and wheel cover. What was left of 8 themes I gave away to FGRV members. It was a joy to see all my decor and our trailer go to "good homes".
__________________________________________________ _______


Gilda, and fiberglas friends, I was the recipient of the ' Elvis Decor ' pillowcases and said I would share an Elvis story with Gilda. ( Thank You ! ) I was lucky to spent some time with Elvis by his pool , with some of his family members ! ENTIRELY TRUE . . . . mostly . I was passing through Memphis in my Fiberglas Chinook motorhome and decided to stop by Graceland which was closed to the public because Elvis had died. The big gates were open, no crowds were around, so I stepped in. There were guys mowing the lawn, I asked if I could go in, they said they didn't care ! But they said to stay away from the house, family members still lived there, but go around to the right to the pool where the grave was. Elvis' grave was there, along with other family members,one was fresh dirt , So I sat by the grave a while, just me and Elvis , something I'm sure could not happen later when Graceland was open to the public. Elvis was more than a singer , a movie star, an Icon. He touched many people with his generosity and talent. Then I drove on , to Civil War and Revolutionary War Battlefields . . . and the L L Bean store in Maine !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,445
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
__________________________________________________ _______


Gilda, and fiberglas friends, I was the recipient of the ' Elvis Decor ' pillowcases and said I would share an Elvis story with Gilda. ( Thank You ! ) I was lucky to spent some time with Elvis by his pool , with some of his family members ! ENTIRELY TRUE . . . . mostly . I was passing through Memphis in my Fiberglas Chinook motorhome and decided to stop by Graceland which was closed to the public because Elvis had died. The big gates were open, no crowds were around, so I stepped in. There were guys mowing the lawn, I asked if I could go in, they said they didn't care ! But they said to stay away from the house, family members still lived there, but go around to the right to the pool where the grave was. Elvis' grave was there, along with other family members,one was fresh dirt , So I sat by the grave a while, just me and Elvis , something I'm sure could not happen later when Graceland was open to the public. Elvis was more than a singer , a movie star, an Icon. He touched many people with his generosity and talent. Then I drove on , to Civil War and Revolutionary War Battlefields . . . and the L L Bean store in Maine !
Thank you David,
I, and we all, finally get to hear your Elvis story. What good fortune that you were able to visit his grave before the public did. I think we all remember where we were when we heard of Elvis' passing. It was a sad day. He's an entertainer who will live on the hearts of all who loved him.
Gilda
__________________
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare Tire Cover Tom U Modifications, Alterations and Updates 33 01-01-2015 11:20 AM
Spare tire cover cpaharley2008 Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 11 10-27-2010 06:26 PM
Spare Tire Cover David and Nancy Modifications, Alterations and Updates 4 05-18-2009 10:07 PM
Spare Tire Cover Terry F Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 17 09-05-2006 09:11 PM
Spare tire cover General Chat 0 01-01-1970 12:00 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.