Spare tire cover - split from trailer windage in a blow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2011, 05:51 PM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Spare tire cover - split from trailer windage in a blow

Gave the little fat one a bath after the storm. Got my spare cover with logo finally. jack
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00199.jpg   DSC00198.jpg  

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
LOVE the spare cover! Looking good, El Gordito!

I think I am going to steal your idea of putting your home city on the cover. My mom said she was going to get me a cover made - I just have to get her the graphics I want.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #3

Delaware
Jen, I'm not confident that applied vinyl lettering is going to work. It's MBA vinyl and supposedly an all weather material but I'm afraid it will lift with the stretching and scrunching that the cover undergoes in the event the spare is needed. I got it Friday and put it on and left it thru Irene. The adhesive does have the alleged characteristic of "biting in" with time and I believe sun exposure will contribute to that if true. In case it doesn't adhere well, I have asked for a second set of stencils in case I decide to use vinyl paint. The only real difference from simply applying the vinyl letters and donkey is that the positives would be "weeded" (removed) and the surrounding material used as a stencil after applying low tack transfer paper to the face and removing the backer paper and adhering to cover. Vinyl paint would be pounced on and the stencil removed.

jack
Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #4

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'll keep that in mind - thanks. I think my mom has a sign-maker acquaintance who is talking silkscreening - maybe that's a little more durable? I'm not sure.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #5

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I'll keep that in mind - thanks. I think my mom has a sign-maker acquaintance who is talking silkscreening - maybe that's a little more durable? I'm not sure.
Screening with Ranger ink is probably about as durable as it gets for general use. I don't know what problems are inherent in screening on vinyl.

Most boats have a name and a home port. An associational mystery and attraction in that. The domesticity of "The Bickersons--Bill & Coo". Perhaps not so much.

jack
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Ours is vinyl tape (at least some of it) It was a normal Scamp cover--- didn't like advertising for them or displaying their 800 number. The add-on vinyl has been on there for 5+ years and always sits out in the weather.
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote