Spare Tire Holder- Tongue Mounted - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #1

Name: Cory
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13
Montana
Spare Tire Holder- Tongue Mounted

I replaced the axle on my 1982 Scamp and had to switch from 4 bolt to 5 bolt wheels so I needed a new way to mount my spare tire. The camper is a glorified tent because it has no electric, propane, bathroom, etc. and only weighed in at about 1200 lbs on my last trip. The tongue weight is likely a little light since I can always lift it off the hitch with maybe 100lb effort. Anyway, light tongue weight, extra space (no battery or propane), and a lack of welding skill sent me searching for another way to mount it. Since I didn't find one I thought I would share my pictures here. Not ideal for everyone but maybe helpful for someone's future search. I used slotted angled steel and opted for the 14 gauge from any hardware store.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200505_133130321_HDR.jpg   IMG_20200505_133037383_HDR.jpg  

corys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I kind of wonder about the structural rigidity of the slotted angle iron brackets to keep the spare from bowing them back and forth with such a low mounted angle bracing as it has. It's be a shame to have the upper ends of those angle irons punching holes through your fiberglass on the front of the trailer when bouncing down the road. Just looks like it could be a potential problem. Those spare tires do have some weight to them and it would be amazing if it didn't cause those brackets to bend and bow in transit.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #3

Name: Cory
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13
Montana
Good point of caution Greg. I will be sure to keep an eye on it when we take it for the next outing. Maybe version 2.0 should have longer bracing. In the picture they appear right against the shell but I can slide my hand through so roughly 1.5" gap.

The entire weight of the wheel is on the old battery spot so the brackets are just keeping it upright. They do sell similar slotted angle steel that is only 18 gauge and I would NOT trust that but this is the heavier version and I can push/pull the top of the tire with most of my weight and there is minimal movement. I think it would take a significant forward/backward force (collision maybe) to cause a failure. Hopefully not famous last word
corys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #4

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
This is my tongue mounted spare tire holder purchased from Princess Auto in Canada. I actually saw the same model at Habor Freight when I was trying to locate something on last year’s camping trip. I will post a better picture later. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1007.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	134412
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
This is my tongue mounted spare tire holder purchased from Princess Auto in Canada. I actually saw the same model at Harbor Freight when I was trying to locate something on last year’s camping trip. I will post a better picture later. Attachment 134412
That might work for some rigs, as in your application, but for those of us who tow with a two spring arm WDH, your tongue landing wheel jack and your spare would both be in the way of where my spring arm tensioners are located on the outside surfaces of the trailer's "A" frame.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
I failed to note that you have all available space for the spare tire holder that I use occupied.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote