When I recently upgraded my axle
, I also added 14'' tires
. Since my original spare was little more than an antique cake donut on a rusted out rim, I decided to replace it with a new 14'' on a new rim. Only problem was that it wouldn't fit on the back where my other one was.
I thought about putting it underneath, but there really wasn't enough clearance. And, yes, I probably could have modified the old mount to work, but then it would have compounded an already perplexing problem I had: With an A/C in the rear window, my tongue weight
was way too light
. When I traveled, I carried everything I could forward, but it still wasn't quite enough.
So, I talked to my welder and here is what we came up with. He did have to move my propanes back, and it is a close fit, but it works like a champ. PLUS, the trailer now tows like a dream.
I was a little concerned about the way it extended over the tongue, but we took it out and tested it. Jack knifed it going backward and turned as tight a circle (going forward) as I could. No chance that it could hit.
He even fixed it where it could be locked.
Sorry the picture is a little dark, but it's cloudy out today.