Speakers for TV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2023, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Speakers for TV?

[Also posted on the Escape Owners Forum]

Saturday night at the Spring Fling NH Rally, it was pouring rain, so we decided to watch a DVD movie on our SuperSonic TV. But the sound on the TV is rather weak, and the rain in our E21C made a racket like living in a tin-roof barn. So, I said, "Got to get an amplifier!"

Has anyone found a simple sound system that is 12-volt, easy to install, that I could run the TV through? AM-FM radio and USB and Bluetooth inputs would be nice, too.

Of course I could just run the sound to a boombox, but it would be nice to have a system that would be permanently mounted.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:06 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I use a simple cord from the television earphone jack over to the aux input of my stereo. It's an Alpine unit with great speakers on both ends of the trailer.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:57 AM   #3

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain

Previously, in our lake home and initially in our condo, our TV's only had a stereo out and I would have to listen to them on clutzy RF headphones. So when we purchased two, new Samsung TV's for our condo we made sure they had bluetooth. (The identical looking Samsungs in Costco did NOT have bluetooth, so do your homework first) I can hook up to either TV with my Apple AirPods or my hearing aids.

We have a bluetooth stereo system in our Bigfoot and watch movies on a Windows 11 laptop using a 22" HD computer monitor when watching together, or just the 17" computer screen watching alone. We stream the sound through our 2016 Bigfoot installed, bluetooth enabled Jensen stereo system. The sound is almost as good as in a theater. Plus, if Terry is sleeping I can use either the AirPods or my hearing aids.

Virtually every TV supplied with a camper is cheap, with no Bluetooth, so your TV must be hard wired to a speaker system, or use a bluetooth transmitter.

Food for thought,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:21 AM   #4

Name: Troy
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Not 12v, but my plan is to go with a Roku sound bar. I have their speakers and powered sub on my porch tv and they sound fantastic.
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:25 AM   #5

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
Not 12v, but my plan is to go with a Roku sound bar. I have their speakers and powered sub on my porch tv and they sound fantastic.
Interesting! Will the Roku sound bar hard wire or USB to a TV, so no wires, and can it transmit sound from the TV when watching DVD's? We carry 50 DVD's with us when we travel. If so that's a great option.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 04:43 PM   #6

Name: Troy
Texas
HDMI
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
If your TV doesn't have Bluetooth built in, it probably has a auxiliary out or a fiber optic out jack. You can find a Bluetooth transmitter for $20 to $30 that will send the needed signal to headphones, a speaker, or a boom box. Ours has a battery that last quite a while and charges via USB. We use it with headphones from our TV when we occasionally have jets flying low over the house.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We use the earphone jack on the tv with an ordinary pair of computer speakers. They are mounted in the corners under the cabinets and can be used as stereo or each of us can have separate volume control... works great!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:37 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Since I mostly boondock, the Bluetooth headphones or earbuds would be my first choice.

If more than 2 people, an amplifier might be better. Amazon sells a number of inexpensive, efficient amplifiers. I bought one to power a couple of small bookshelf speakers, which has worked very well. In a trailer I would consider permanently mounted speakers typically sold in the automotive dept.

Does your TV have an audio output (red and white RCA sockets)? If so, that's the best place to connect to an amplifier. A headphone jack may allow electrical noise in depending on where things are located. In either case shielded cable is best.

Finally remember to consider the additional load on your battery when boondocking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20230524_081621.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	149225
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
For your set up, you may want both a Bluetooth transmitter and a Bluetooth receiver. You can purchase two units that does both and plug one into your TV and one into your speakers. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230524-131616_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	149242
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:32 PM   #11
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
I use the Airfly BT transmitter. One charge is enough for 12 or 15 hours. Once plugged in I can stream wirelessly to my AirPods or BOSE speaker with no noticeable latency.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0720.jpg  
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I used a desktop computer speaker system that happens to run on 12v. Then wired it in. Attachment 149265Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberglass%20RV-1560453824.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	149266Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberglass%20RV728746500.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	149267
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:36 AM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13
California
i'm also using the BOSE speaker. compact, very sturdy construction, great sound and can be connected to devices with a wire or bluetooth.
it is over 10 years old and going strong. the newer models have USB charging i replaced the battery a couple of years ago.
John LF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:30 PM   #14

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
Portable speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post

Saturday night at the Spring Fling NH Rally, it was pouring rain, so we decided to watch a DVD movie on our SuperSonic TV. But the sound on the TV is rather weak, and the rain in our E21C made a racket like living in a tin-roof barn. So, I said, "Got to get an amplifier!"

Has anyone found a simple sound system that is 12-volt, easy to install, that I could run the TV through? AM-FM radio and USB and Bluetooth inputs would be nice, too.

Of course I could just run the sound to a boombox, but it would be nice to have a system that would be permanently mounted.
I run a jbl charge 4 from my tv in the house but I can take the speaker outside and run music off my phone also charges my phone great sound.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 03:23 AM   #15

Name: Caroline
NC
Select sound mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post

I also have a SuperSonic TV in my Casita. The sound was simply awful, that is, until I went into the settings menu and changed the sound mode to "Movie". The sound had been set to "Standard" a the factory. Changing that setting vastly improved the sound output.

I haven't yet tried running the sound through my bluetooth speaker via an AUX cable, but that would be my next step.

Good luck!
CarolineInNC is offline   Reply With Quote