Starting the Redo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
As thrilled as I am of the as is interior condition of my new to me 17 foot Burro, it IS very stark and bright. Everything is white, except the curtains and carpet.. absolutely no contrast.

I considered redoing the cupboards and doors in wood, but decided that may make it a little to DARK. But it still needs something to break up the white monotany and add a little color.

The carpet.. blue. Not my favorite color. I want a wood floor, but that will have to come later.

I found something I can live with until I can redo the floor. Bambo throw rugs. I found them with dark blue trim, so they match the carpet and transition nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
floormats.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #2

Registry
I looked at the pleasant pattern on the rug, and transitioned the wood to the cupboards in a subtle way. I simply glued a single strip of the bambo in an extra throw rug to the top and bottom of each door, and then changed the white knob to wood. Simple, but it breaks up the glare.

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	bigburrokitchen.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	6429

After

Name:	kitchenafter.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	6430
Attached Thumbnails
kitchencupboards.jpg  
Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #3

Registry
The rear dinnette has been made into a living room.

Before

Name:	dinetebefore.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	6432

After

Name:	dineteafter.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	6433

New curtains from Wally World have made a world of difference. I got lucky and got these off the shelf and all are a perfect fit. No muss no fuss no bother.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #4

Registry
The bathroom needed a little life too, but all I did was add storage baskets and a mirror. The new fat suction cup stuff works great on the glass walls.

Before

Name:	bathbefore.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	6434

After

Name:	bathafter.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	6435

Yes, that is one of Freds Ducks I kidnapped!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #5

Registry
I am pleased that most of my work is the fun decorating part. I have been putting up hooks and hangers and trying to decide where my pictures will go!

It's nice not to be FIXING things. And Kurt, the furnace works great... once the "on" switch is turned on!

Tomorrow, I try the water system.. I am askeered!
Old 02-17-2007, 10:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Where was the propane leak we smelled outside? And what happened with the door clearance?

Good news about the furnace, it's blower sounded exceptionally quiet compared to most descriptions.

Just remember to fill the water heater before attempting to heat the water! Since the hose will be there after you've filled the water tank, you might as well connect it to see if the direct feed works O.K. without any leaks. I believe I saw the pump but just don't recall if there was a filter. If there is one, it might be prudent to replace the cartridge.

Your decoration "mods" very nice. You are acquiring a reputation as an interior decorator with lots of practice on Burros

Your adventure continues...
Kurt & Ann K.

P.S.
I'd thought of different colored cupboard and/or drawer knobs to add a little contrast without being overpowering.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #7

Registry
Kurt, I have not switched back over to the tank we first smelled the propane on. The streetside tank seems stable and there is no 'pane smell anywhere when using it. I have had the tank open for a week and it has not lost anything, so the place it is is in the hose to the other tank, or the dual regualtor thingy itself, or the switching valve was stuck partially open? .

Tomorrow I was going to try the other tank again. I Have been losening up moving parts slowly, like the stabilizers.. they required lots of wd 40 and a hammer to get budged, but they move freely now.

As long as this thing sat, I am suprised it's not worse.

I evened played with the toilet can't DO anything with it but watch the flap open and close.. but tomorrow I will rinse it and test it.

Bought new sewer hoses and a wand.. oh joy. The hoses that came with it.. I opened the tube and dust fell out! I suspect the hose is a bit brittle, but I didn't xamine it closesly, I just pulled it out and tossed it in the trash.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:17 PM   #8

Registry
oh, the battery... total loss! It was bone dry and after I filled it, it won't hold a charge for 10 minutes.

Thats OK, it's a group 24, I may upgrade.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Nice work, Gina!

You obviously have the decorating gene. While my wife approves of the refrigerator look, she is currently making curtains to replace the Burro Blue. I would like more woodwork too, but started out using scraps of mahogany, which looks too dark to me.

So I just put up a mirror with a maple frame. Too light, so I varnished it with Minwax Polyshades (Honey Pine stain in it). Adds a bit more color. Maybe I'll stay with that finish.

Little ducky looks familiar. (Thanks, Frederick.) I like what you have done with the cabinet doors, adds some color and definition to it.

Kurt mentioned the heater. If it is the same Atwood at about 9000BTU I have also wondered what the fuss about a noisy fan is about. Ours does not seem noisy either. Current draw is light too.

If you have trouble making the toilet work properly I have done the valve replacement bit and have a scheme prepared to not ever have to do that process again. There is a way.

It seems my head start on you is fading away. (But I just finished putting in reverse lights, the breakaway switch, third brakelight, and so on).

Lookin' good!
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
You might try taking a wrench to the connection at the tank. It just might be a little loose.
The way things have been going, did you ever purchase that lottery ticket?
I'm curious about what was required to make the door function better.
How about a picture showing off those Baby Moon hubcaps?

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:03 AM   #11

Registry
It's the same one Per.

Yes, it is very quiet. Certainly no noisier than my cube heater and it actually seems to do a great job.

The fan does concern me for current draw. I will just have to try it and find out if I can live with it. If not, I will install the larger Olympian Cat Heater.

I have yet to convert the lighting. I am going to pull the bulbs and find out what I need to replace with LEDs. I only have one cold cathode left, so I need to get a few more.

The walls in this thing are going to make it easy to tap off existing lines and keep everything pretty tidy!
Old 02-18-2007, 12:06 AM   #12

Registry
Kurt, the door seems to work OK. It changes in difficulty level when the trailer is not level front to back, but I have leveled it that way and it closes and opens OK. My 13 is the same.

The hubcaps are not on yet. There is a delay in getting my wieght distribution hitch, so I can't take it in for service until that gets here. In a couple weeks.

It's OK, I have plenty to do in it before I take it out.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:47 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hey, Gina - nice touches to personalize McMansion. Per is right ... you've got the knack of finding simple solutions that really make a difference. Keep having fun with your discoveries - see ya in July! L 'n D in (formerly sunny) St. Augustine, FL
Old 02-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Sounds and looks more like a "UP DO" rather than a Re Do... You will need a door sign..."WIPE YOUR FEET" when finished Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
gina....
really lookin Nifty Thrifty there gal!!
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #16

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Re; cupboards, dark wood, etc.

I pickled my wood - applied an off-white stain (to match my off-white fiberglass). It let me keep the wood look, but it was still bright, although warm and not quite so stark.

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #17

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
The bathroom needed a little life too, but all I did was add storage baskets and a mirror. The new fat suction cup stuff works great on the glass walls.

Before

Attachment 6434

After

Attachment 6435

Yes, that is one of Freds Ducks I kidnapped!
NIIIIICE!!!
(*jealous*)

Miriam slumps out, coveting the bathroom.....

*sigh*
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote