Stone Guard added - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Thumbs up Stone Guard added

This is Grizzly Grip added in the past few days hope you can see it and hope it stays on. (Smile) The colour is an Almond. See some of you in Kingston can't wait.

Theresa

Click image for larger version

Name:	P5150068.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	46280

Name:	P5150069.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	46281

Name:	P5150072.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	46282
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks great to me Theresa!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
What is that product? Something you paint on?
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Thumbs down? No way! Looks like it was done professionally.
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That looks great Theresa did you do the wheelwells to ? Gravel roads are no big deal now , cheers mike
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #6

Registry
hi...actually that was my husband dennis who added last night's post, but it was me who applied it.
cyndi--the product is called grizzly grip and it was donna, if i am remembering correctly, who initially recommended it to me. i ordered it online/over the phone from the company in orlando, florida and had it brought home from florida by friends who were wintering there. it is VERY easy to apply and the support from ed levans, the owner of midwest chemicals, has been amazing!
prep was easy, then i masked, then painted (dabbing, not stroking) it in corners, etc., i switched to the roller and it was a breeze to apply. dried to the touch in 2 hours and i could have re-coated but i waited until the next day. a second coat (recommended for durability) then and voila!
i am really pleased with how well the almond colour blended with our trailer. it comes in many colours whereas most truck-bed liners come solely in black. i thought that black might be too much of a contrast so was happy to have the option of colour.
this product isn't available in stores because of the fact it is made-to-order.
and mike---i intend on doing the wheelwells but it'll have to wait a couple of weeks until we return from our trip to the eggfest in kingston, ontario which is may 25-27. i just didn't have time to get it done before we leave on friday as we're going to tour around ottawa area the week before the rally.
the main impetus to get this stone guard on was the fact that, on the way home from florida last winter, we sustained a pea-sized hole from a stone that was just below the belly band on the rounded corner of the trailer front. last summer we took great care to keep the water away from it, but opted not to do a fiberglass repair as we have zero experience with it plus we were looking for a solution that would also protect and repair all of the small nicks and chips we had noticed on the front from generalized wear and tear. we investigated various professionally-applied bedliner options but they wanted ridiculous amounts of $ for such a limited area. when grizzly grip was suggested on this forum, it seemed the best option.
i am very pleased with how it turned out---today, it is completely hardened but i do plan on re-checking it after we return from this roadtrip and if needed, doing any touchups...although ed at midwest tells me that it should be 100% protected. i'll report back.
all in all, thanks for saying it looks professionally done. that makes me happy!

oh yes, it does come in "fine" and "coarse".....i chose the coarse. and most importantly, the area around that little hole is completely solid and our friends and neighbours, who came by to watch, couldn't tell where it had been.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #7

Registry
one more thing---the cost for a bottle, which is the standard amount, was $89 which included the accelerant to speed the drying. it covers 50 sq feet but to do the front of the trailer, plus a small area down around each side, two coats, i have used a little less than half the bottle. there's lots left to allow me to do the wheel wells. i ordered their rollers, which i am pleased i did, as for $2 each, i don't think i could have found that coarse foam roller in my town at all...i paint alot and haven't seen that style (it was called "heavy duty" by the tech at midwest chemicals).
Old 05-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #8

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
I'd love to put that on my Fiberstream. I just painted it, and yesterday took it for brake servicing in a rainstorm. The debris that kicked up on the front rounded corners on the trailer was amazing...sticks, leaves, dirt. I'd have to figure out how I want to the edges to be- as I would only want it on the lower 3feet of the front, and rounded out on the sides maybe 1 foot or foot and a half.
Do you know if this is a water based product? I know UPS will only ship if it is waterbased. Looks great!
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #9

Registry
cyndi---it definitely is not water-based, but midwest chemicals ONLY ships their products--they are not available in retail outlets. contacting them will answer your questions re: shipping to you.

and john---i see why you say "thumbs down? "....dennis inadvertently used that icon but that's NOT what he meant to use! we're pleased with it, very pleased. that should have been "thumbs UP"!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Do you have a direct link to the products webpage? Looks awesome!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #11

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Looks very nice! After the windows are tinted and the closet shelves are in we may have to consider that!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #12

Registry
Vehicle Guard Block

this should get you there.....
Old 05-16-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post

and john---i see why you say "thumbs down? "....dennis inadvertently used that icon but that's NOT what he meant to use! we're pleased with it, very pleased. that should have been "thumbs UP"!!
I figured it was either a mistake, or you two were wayyyy too hard on yourselves! You should be able to meander down any rocky road you choose now!
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
TWO thumbs up Theresa. Looks GREAT!
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #15

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Trillium Outback
Alberta
Question stone guard on stripes?

Hi Theresa, this looks great, we have been looking into something like this for our trilly but were disapointed by the price and color options at the professional shops in town.
I have a couple questions. Did you mask around the lower stripes or did you reapply the stripes on top of the stone guard?
also did you talk to the company about using the aliphatic product on a fiberglass RV? is the extra stiffness of this product compared to the aromatic product a problem?
Thanks for the useful post.
Chinooks Trilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
grizley grip

Their home page is "grizleygrip.com". It really looks like a great product. I like the almond color. Their site has a color chart. Its nice to see the item actually used. I'm sold. but, in emerald green to match my rims.
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #17

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I just had something similar done on my Bigfoot 21. Had it done @ Escape trailers, where they offer this sorta stuff as an option if you are buying a new one from them
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #18

Registry
hi carolyn---i emailed the company--and was VERY pleased with the incredibly good customer service i received, hearing from the owner, ed levans, directly. he was patient with me, despite my inexperience and hesitation. he knew exactly what i intended to apply it to and it was his recommendation to use the aliphatic. frankly, it was very easy to work with. i did mask off the striping and the funny thing was, i couldn't shake the worry that this product might stick SO well to the trailer that i might not be able to get my masking tape off! i needn't have worried, because when i went out 3 hours later to check, it peeled off leaving very crisp lines, with no problems at all.

we have taken the trailer from new brunswick to ontario, drove on gravel roads thru 3 provinces, went thru a hail storm and subjected it to just about every insult known...and it looks as wonderful today as when i applied it. i am so pleased.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #19

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Trillium Outback
Alberta
Thanks theresa for the clarification or rather reassurance. You've addressed the concerns we had (we were also worried about getting the masking tape off) I think you have convinced me to go ahead with this DIY project.
Chinooks Trilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #20

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Very nice job, hmmm hubby will have to start and internet search and pick out a color. We have been thinking about this as well, yours looks so nice you have inspired me. Good job.
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote