Strip of fiberglass missing - replacement ideas? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #1

Name: Kris
Trailer: compact jr
California
Strip of fiberglass missing - replacement ideas?

HI! I'm working on my Compact Jr pop up...The previous owners attached a window to the popup - permanently raising it up but not securing it to the body (see "BEFORE" photo). I guess they just had it parked somewhere. I tore that wood/window part off leaving a 6 feet long by 3 inches deep strip missing from both sides (see 2nd photo). I need to replace the missing material. I was thinking a strip of Plexiglass or metal or wood. What do you think would work best? It already has holes drilled so that's not an issue. Thank you all!!!!
Kris
Attached Thumbnails
camper roof before.jpg   trailer roof.jpg  

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Strip Replacement

There are a lot of options for replacing that strip. However, I would put plexiglass at the bottom of the list. Plexi is not very stable, some forms deteriorate in the sun (turn brown). All plexi is known to "cold flow." That means that under normal temperatures it flows, bends, moves, etc, as if it were just a very thick, viscous substance like molasses.

If it were me, I would look for fiberglass panel pieces. Maybe check at a boat repair or manufacturer. They often have FRP panels and pieces.

GatorCasita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
I would "replace" the missing fiberglass section by laminating in 4 layers or so of chopped strand mat fiberglass. To determine exactly how to do this, check this thread:

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ass-52498.html

Also check channels on youtube such as Boatworks Today...
Old 08-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #4

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have noted that some people on the forum have replaced missing fiberglass to cover window openings etc. with old fiberglass tub surrounds like showers. Cut to fit and fiberglass in place.
Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I have noted that some people on the forum have replaced missing fiberglass to cover window openings etc. with old fiberglass tub surrounds like showers. Cut to fit and fiberglass in place.
Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
Dave's suggestion is even better. Fiberglass work requires some practice. One of my first fiberglass projects was to patch a hole in the bottom of my Trillium 4500 that was large enough to put my hand through, apparently formed by stone impacts over time(?). Your project is more challenging because it is plainly visible. You want it to look good. Nice thing about fiberglass is that if you don't like the result, you can grind it out and try again.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #6

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
I too think finding something made of fiberglass with a gelcoat finish that you could cut the strip the strip from.
I have used an old truck canopy for a slightly more involved project but same idea.
Pics starting at post 187
Fred
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...r-55601-8.html
Old 08-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
Find someone who has torn out a fiberglass tub or tub surround and cut off the piece that you need. Fiberglass is not that hard to work with especially if you are doing a patch. Cut it as close as you can get it, epoxy it into place and then when dry reinforce the back with some mat and fiberglass resin. Clean up the front with some bondo and away you go.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #8

California
Wow. Looks like I'm about to learn another skill! Thank you so very much. I live in Los Angeles so hopefully I'll be able to find some scrap fiberglass strips soon.

BUT - do you think I COULD use wood?
I ask because I was hoping not to bondo & repaint.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:17 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Loon Lake Wa. and Boulder City, Nv.
Registry
You can use any material you want. Is wood the best material for the job? No. Is plexiglass the best material for the job? No. Is metal the best material for the job? No. Is fiberglass the best material for the job? Yes! It's your trailer and your call.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:23 AM   #10

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan View Post
Wow. Looks like I'm about to learn another skill! Thank you so very much. I live in Los Angeles so hopefully I'll be able to find some scrap fiberglass strips soon.

BUT - do you think I COULD use wood?
I ask because I was hoping not to bondo & repaint.
LA, with the surfboard shops and supply places you won't have any trouble finding supplies or knowledge.
Bet some board builder would probably do it for you,,,?
Fred
Old 08-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #11

California
OK - Fiberglass it is! I'll keep you updated and thanks for your input. I truly would be lost without it.
Kris
Old 08-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #12

Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
If you are left with any cracks and holes to fill, I have repaired fiberglass damage with white Marine Tex. Pretty good product mixes like auto body putty

Oldballer is offline   Reply With Quote