sunrader - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2018, 10:52 AM   #81

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rix View Post
new one is fiberglass too, So I get to still hang out here
It's not all-molded fiberglass, which is specifically the focus of this forum. However, our members include owners of other build types with an interest in molded trailers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #82
Rix

Name: Rick
Trailer: sunrader
Washington
Yeah you're stuck with me.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #83

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Quote:
Bring this home tomorrow night

I've still got too much stuff to do to get the sunrader ready this year.
And this year the father and husband of the year award goes to.....

Drum roll please....

RIX!!!

Well played my good man, well played.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #84
Rix

Washington
I put it up for sale but I'm kind of hoping it doesn't sell I actually do really still want to finish this because it's so cool, I just don't have time.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #85

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Toyota Dolphin, Looking for Sunrader
AK
Quote:
I put it up for sale but I'm kind of hoping it doesn't sell I actually do really still want to finish this because it's so cool, I just don't have time.
Hey, did you sell it? I thought I saw it on Craigslist but when I went back to message you about it, it was gone! I am coming to terms with the fact that the old Toyota trucks the Sunraders and Dolphins (which is what I have now) just isn't suitable for my goals, so I was really hoping to score a camper for a newer truck.

Let me know if it's still available! Maybe I can find one to use as a mold for a new fiberglass camper.
LeftCoastNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #86
Rix

Washington
I have not sold it yet. Couple guys backed out of looking at it after I was very honest about it.
But.....I got another reply from a lady that sent me pictures of her old one. Similar. Not quite the same.
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a unicorn.
Rix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #87

Name: Rachel
Trailer: Toyota Dolphin, Looking for Sunrader
AK
For those of you with more experience on how much these fiberglass shells weigh, what would you think this one might be before the new (heavier) tub was put on? Could you go with a small truck like a Ranger or Tacoma, or to be safe should you get something with a little more weight capacity?
LeftCoastNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #88

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The people over at toyotamotorhomes.org would know better...I'm starting to forget the little facts that don't apply to me anymore. The best Toyota motorhomes were built on one-ton, dually chassis. All the others...were walking a very fine line.

Rangers tend to have better payload and towing capacity. I think to go with one of those smaller trucks, you'd have more modifications ahead of you, like making the truck a dually. With something closer to full size, it would be easier. Seems like both are doable, though.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #89

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The weight of the shell itself would be likely be fine on a small pickup truck. But then you start adding stuff into it such as window glass, cabinets, cushions, mattress, appliances, water in the tanks. Along with clothes, food, tools, toys, various other entertainments such as a TV and it will be overloaded. But over the years people have found salvaged dually axles to put onto small 6 cylinder trucks and done a transplant that had enough power to keep it up to a reasonable speed on the freeways.

With the regular motorhome Sunraders you also have to carefully plan out the distance to the wheel well so that the wheels end up in the right spot on the fiberglass shell and also fit into that space size wise. I believe they also extended the frames as well as changing the axles on the Sunraders to make it work. A lot of factors to think about and lots of work to make it happen but it has been done more than a few times as it is a nice strong shell... if you don't rip the foam off of the ceiling in which case it will sag down.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #90

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
And for the record, let me state that by the "best" Toyota motorhomes, I mean the ones with the correct chassis for the weight. Not the "best" motorhome. We all know the Sunraders and Chinooks were the best.

Though Dolphins are pretty cool and they're what everyone seems to know.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote