Surf's Up again ! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1975 Triple E Surfside
Alberta
Registry
Surf's Up again !

Moved, Got a bigger heated garage, and wanted another fiberglass trailer to fix up. This will be #4 trailer, and #2 of the Surfside flavor. Boy did I luck out. Nice young fella got his Gramps old trailer and restoring it was a bit too much for him with a new family happening. And along comes me. Only a two hour drive to go fetch. Better than I thought it would be. WAAAYYY better than the 76 Surfside... For starters it's not all green ! In fact only the top side is showing signs of needing love. The decals are all there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221204_140650.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	148013
It got dirty from the trip home.. and the hitch is too high on the Buick... and the coupler rattles on the 2 inch ball. But tows nice. I'll be making some videos and lots of details on my blog. SOON.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:04 PM   #2

Alberta
Registry
The Surfside is now in the garage... safe and warming up. Now I get to have a careful look at things and thinking about where to start.

Name:	20221205_094244.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	148019
As far as I can tell the gelcoat on the bottom of the trailer is factory from 47 years ago.. But the top side is looking sad.. Which makes sense. So a new paint job is going to happen. The ensolite interior finish has been painted in the past and still looks good. A work in progress.
Old 12-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #3

Name: Zbigniev
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Registry
Looking forward to another fantastic build. Can't wait to see what you have in store with this one!
Roverz92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Well I'll apply everything I know to this one. And even though you could go camping as it is.. ( not now it's cold out there) I'm still going to take it apart and put it back together. Starting with the frame. I have to source a new axle.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Looks nice! I will follow along with your rebuild.

Do you keep these projects afterwards or sell them off?
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:58 AM   #6

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeye View Post
The Surfside is now in the garage... safe and warming up. Now I get to have a careful look at things and thinking about where to start.

Attachment 148019
As far as I can tell the gelcoat on the bottom of the trailer is factory from 47 years ago.. But the top side is looking sad.. Which makes sense. So a new paint job is going to happen. The ensolite interior finish has been painted in the past and still looks good. A work in progress.
Oh you have the deluxe model with "ELECTRIC BRAKES"
Old 12-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #7

Alberta
Registry
Sure is deluxe.. Most have the brakes. I'm striping down the body of the thinks I don't want. And filing them away.

Name:	20221207_092338.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	419.5 KB
ID:	148027
That's what I think of old brittle lights. Washed the road grime off the trailer as well. Getting ready to remove the frame. I've secured my source for the axle and for the paint. Unlike the other trailers I've done ..this time I can put the frame back under the trailer when It's done.

Name:	20221207_112226.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	148028
I'm not in a hurry..
Old 12-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #8

Alberta
Registry
Axle questions

So question to all the Surfside people out there ? Axles? should I go 3500 lb or 2000 lb ? Brakes or no brakes. My understanding has always been Legally don't need brakes on a trailer under 3500 lbs. In other words lighter than the tow vehicle. AND YET these trailers have brakes. On what I believe to be a 2000 lb axle. And they make sure you know that !

Name:	E brakes.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	148030
The 76 I worked on had 10 inch brakes which are standard for 3500 axles. 2000 lb axles should have 7 inch drums. I'm thinking 3500 lb axle will be too stiff for such a light trailer. I can get whatever I want from City Springs in Edmonton. Please share any thoughts..
Old 12-08-2022, 11:39 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
I'm in the same situation as you with my SurfSide. I'm planning on replacing my axle in the new year with one from City Springs in Edmonton, they come well reviewed from friends.

Getting brakes is a no brainer for me because I live in the Okanagan and a lot of the place I go to are loooong gravel descents back home so it's more a piece of mind thing for me.

I'm leaning towards the 2k axle for the exact reason you mention, I don't want too much bounce with such a light trailer.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:32 AM   #10

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverz92 View Post
I'm in the same situation as you with my SurfSide. I'm planning on replacing my axle in the new year with one from City Springs in Edmonton, they come well reviewed from friends.

Getting brakes is a no brainer for me because I live in the Okanagan and a lot of the place I go to are loooong gravel descents back home so it's more a piece of mind thing for me.

I'm leaning towards the 2k axle for the exact reason you mention, I don't want too much bounce with such a light trailer.

Hey I know what your saying. I lived in Grand Forks for 40 years.. And will be coming back for camping. City Springs sent me the order form. So this next week I'll get that filled out and faxed back. I can drive to Edmonton easily from here to pick it up. also heading to Calgary to buy the Interlux paint I need. Always bought the paint from Kelowna with my other projects.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:32 PM   #11

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Brakes

Quote:
So question to all the Surfside people out there ? Axles? should I go 3500 lb or 2000 lb ? Brakes or no brakes. My understanding has always been Legally don't need brakes on a trailer under 3500 lbs. In other words lighter than the tow vehicle. AND YET these trailers have brakes. On what I believe to be a 2000 lb axle. And they make sure you know that !
Attachment 148030
The 76 I worked on had 10 inch brakes which are standard for 3500 axles. 2000 lb axles should have 7 inch drums. I'm thinking 3500 lb axle will be too stiff for such a light trailer. I can get whatever I want from City Springs in Edmonton. Please share any thoughts..
I do believe it is generally legal if under 3,000 lbs. That is why you see many utility trailers rated for 2,990 lbs.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 05:13 PM   #12
ABK

Name: AB
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
What is your prep for the Interlux? The top on my Casita is chalky. When I get down to the "stable" glass resin (16 years old) does the aging process stop when the new paint goes on?
ABK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #13

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABK View Post
What is your prep for the Interlux? The top on my Casita is chalky. When I get down to the "stable" glass resin (16 years old) does the aging process stop when the new paint goes on?

I believe the pre-coat primer takes care of that worry. I sand the trailer down only enough to get a smooth finish.. I will be doing that in January .
Old 12-12-2022, 12:21 PM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Well moving along.. I got the frame out and moved it to the lift table.

Name:	20221212_094052.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	148061

And now I could fill out the order form for the new axle. I'm going 2000lb with brakes. Should just bolt right on.

Name:	20221212_094057.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	148062

It's also easy to clean the underside of the trailer body and repair and worn through fiberglass.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:11 PM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Hey I know what your saying. I lived in Grand Forks for 40 years.. And will be coming back for camping. City Springs sent me the order form. So this next week I'll get that filled out and faxed back. I can drive to Edmonton easily from here to pick it up. also heading to Calgary to buy the Interlux paint I need. Always bought the paint from Kelowna with my other projects.
I'm curious to hear how much that axle ends up costing you!

The frame looks in great shape from the photos. Any cracks along the curved section?
Old 12-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #16

Alberta
Registry
I will post the cost of the axle. There is no bent or cracked metal on the frame. It's in great condition. The only mods I'm doing are ...a new rear bumper, needs to be stronger to hold the spare. Also changing the hitch and jack ... because I found them in my stash.

Name:	20221209_151902.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	148065

There's other adjustments to the front ...but they have to wait till I bring home the aluminum tongue box.
Old 12-14-2022, 04:45 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Got it ! brought home the aluminum box for the front of the trailer.

Name:	20221214_083948.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	148092
It's good size, and should hold the diesel heater and I think the battery too. So now I know how much room it takes up on the tongue of the trailer. I've cleaned up the top side of the frame . Tomorrow we will flip it over. So let's talk about the axle. What I have ordered is a 2000 lb Torkflex with 7" brakes, Ez lube bearings and adjustable arm angle. And that's a good thing. That means I can tweak the ride height. The factory axle is a 1500lb on and the arms are welded at 20 degrees up and trailing. And because the new axle will mount an inch higher, I can make up for that by setting the arm at 10 degrees. So this is a win for me.. These axles don't come cheep.. $976.00 before the tax. Now you know what to order.
Old 12-15-2022, 03:06 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Right on, Thanks for the update! I was expecting to pay around that so I'm stoked to hear it won't break the bank too badly. Now how to break it to my family that they're all getting IOU's from me this Christmas....

The tongue box looks good and a great use of space, there's a few at Princess Auto I've been eyeing up that would do the trick
Old 12-15-2022, 05:11 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverz92 View Post
Right on, Thanks for the update! I was expecting to pay around that so I'm stoked to hear it won't break the bank too badly. Now how to break it to my family that they're all getting IOU's from me this Christmas....

The tongue box looks good and a great use of space, there's a few at Princess Auto I've been eyeing up that would do the trick

That one came from Princess Auto.. $200. but it's a good size and welded.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:14 PM   #20

Alberta
Registry
Drove 3 hrs to pick up the new axle from City Springs & Axle in Edmonton. Super easy to deal with and fast. It's heavy so would cost alot to ship.. My gas was cheaper I'm sure. About sixty bucks worth.

Name:	20221216_154923.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	148105

Looks Great and should just bolt right on.