Surfside Rebuild/Modifed floor plan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #1

Name: Zac
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
Surfside Rebuild/Modifed floor plan

Hi All,
I bought this trailer last winter.

I started to post this in my introduction but after realized I should start a new thread for the rebuild specifically. Id appreciate any tips and information you have as we go along. A lot of what I have been doing has been trial and error. I could find a bunch of build threads for Trillium, Boler, Scamp etc but not many surfside.

Ill be doing multiple posts to try to get everyone caught up to where I am... as We sit around for winter to end I am planning the next projects so I'm hoping this thread will keep me motivated

Ok Here we go this is what I bought off the second owner- Here's a bunch of pictures. He gutted the fridge, furnace, stove, sink, water tank.
The windows had been leaking and rotted out the frames and some of the cabinets. the Snow load had caused the roof to sag in a few places.. see pictures

Sorry about the picture quality it should improve as I go along...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0021.jpg   IMG_0023.jpg  

IMG_0024.jpg   IMG_0026.jpg  

IMG_0028.jpg   IMG_0042.jpg  

IMG_0040.jpg   IMG_0043.jpg  

IMG_0046.jpg  
zac w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #2

Ontario
When I got it home I was planning to just clean it up repair the old cupboards and start camping. But as I got started the project grew.

First of all I re-sealed it... rebuilt the windows - Here's the Thread for that

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ild-88587.html

Then I replaced the vent, Door Weather strip (Used Van Door Weather strip with some modification)

Replaced Hubs, bearings, added 2 propane tank mount, added a tongue mounted battery box.

Inside I ended up gutting the complete thing down to just a shell. The floors were very solid..... I then put in one piece vinyl sheet flooring. I then jacked up the roof and put in new side cabinets that would support the roof better. I also jacked up the rear part of the roof and built a back cabinet to carry the load

Here's a few pictures of that.....
Attached Thumbnails
57858852088__7585BD73-8E45-46FF-8AEB-A7EDDD923656.jpg   57858853159__E100E8CB-2816-4026-AC69-79F08699A52A.jpg  

IMG_0274.jpg  
Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Hi Zac,
Welcome! When it gets down to brass tacks, there really isn't that much difference between many of the brands in regards to structural basics. All have fiberglass cabins mounted to steel chassis. Most use some kind of torsion axle. That means a much of the information showing what others have done will be transferable between brands.

Keep posting you pics. I look forward to following your progress.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:53 PM   #4

Ontario
A few things we wanted on the trailer was a bigger fridge, full size stove, shower.

1) Fridge - I liked the fridge up top and didn't want to bend over to get things out of it. So I headed out the RV salvage place and picked up a bigger Fridge. I then moved the original vent up 8" right near the top. The fridge cupboard sides I fiberglassed in so it was all sealed up all the way around. I also added an air dam to make sure the airflow would go thru the fridge as needed... something like this drawing. Here's a few pictures of the fridge
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1356.jpg   IMG_0278.jpg  

IMG_0277.jpg  
Old 01-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #5

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
Hi Zac,
Welcome! When it gets down to brass tacks, there really isn't that much difference between many of the brands in regards to structural basics. All have fiberglass cabins mounted to steel chassis. Most use some kind of torsion axle. That means a much of the information showing what others have done will be transferable between brands.

Keep posting you pics. I look forward to following your progress.
Thanks for the Welcome!
So true they are quite similar....I've been procrastinating long enough.... about time I got this post started!

Zac
Old 01-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #6

Ontario
I then rounded up a used furnace took it apart, cleaned out all the rust and installed it.
I really didn't want anything that would be operating on electricity due to off grid camping we do... and the last thing I wanted was the sound of a generator out there . So the original ARC-10 furnace seemed best. I found a rough one that I installed and it got us thru last year but I just picked up an almost new one that will be going in for the spring.... Pictures will follow for that in a few months....
I also installed a CO detector and a propane leak detector
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0112.jpg   IMG_0277.jpg  

Old 01-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #7

Ontario
So the next thing that we wanted was a shower of some sort. I was ok with a small one/ temporary one.... that we only use once and awhile... after all we are camping.

To get that I installed a 30 gal water tank under the rear seat on the door side, I then ran a fill hose to just above the wheel and installed a fill cover there. I then ran pex lines thru the unit. braided flexible line to the pump..( At first I had pex right to the pump but it was super noisy).

I made a mistake here. I ordered what I thought was a decent size pump but after installing it realized that is was much to big. I now have a much smaller pump to go in this spring, I'm hoping this will slow down the water consumption.

This is not done yet but is a project for this spring..... so far this is what I got.... If you look at the pictures the shower is located in the front right. The counter top swings up and the RH door opens. In there I will build a fiberglass shower pan. The portable toilet sits in the shower pan till we want a shower. Then we pull it out and take a shower..... I realize its not very glamorous but I'm hopping it will get the job done.

Right now the sink is just draining into a portable waste tank with wheels but I will be installing a grey water tank this spring with a HEPVO trap set up...like in the picture.

Kitchen sink is from Ikea - I saved the cut out from the counter top to make an insert for the sink. Unfortunately I didn't get any finished pictures, as soon as I can get some Ill post them..

I apologize again for the picture quality. Its the best I got right now on my computer. The trailer is out back under a cover and snow.. Spring comes Ill get some good pictures
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0273.jpg   57858855913__1C6DB917-5D7E-4A99-A213-F8ECBA9AD0B5.jpg  

IMG_0270.jpg   IMG_0276.jpg  

Old 01-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #8

Ontario
Oh I forgot the best pictures - a few of us camping last year!
Zac
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0308.jpg   IMG_1906.jpg  

Tags
surfside