T-handle draw latches - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #1

Name: Adam
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
T-handle draw latches

Does anyone have experience with updating the front window locking mechanism? I'm looking at these t-handle clasps but looking for recommendations. #Bigfoot
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079CG9YDC/...VFsCa2vldNHexE
BC_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #2

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
What’s the stock setup? I don’t know how the newer Bigfoot latches work. Mine latch, but seem to also provide a platform to possibly help support the cover. I don’t know for sure. I’d contact Bigfoot to make sure they aren’t structural.

One of mine wasn’t latching anymore and the other was getting difficult, so I thought the same as you. I bought those same latches and started installing them...but realized the reason my stock ones aren’t working well is because the piano hinge is starting to fail and sag. If I remove the stock latches, there will be no platform for the cover to rest on, and things will only get worse.

So I ordered a new piano hinge. Going to install it maybe this weekend and that should get the cover lined up correctly again and hopefully my original latches will work again.

What’s the problem with yours?
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
What’s the stock setup? I don’t know how the newer Bigfoot latches work. Mine latch, but seem to also provide a platform to possibly help support the cover. I don’t know for sure. I’d contact Bigfoot to make sure they aren’t structural.

One of mine wasn’t latching anymore and the other was getting difficult, so I thought the same as you. I bought those same latches and started installing them...but realized the reason my stock ones aren’t working well is because the piano hinge is starting to fail and sag. If I remove the stock latches, there will be no platform for the cover to rest on, and things will only get worse.

So I ordered a new piano hinge. Going to install it maybe this weekend and that should get the cover lined up correctly again and hopefully my original latches will work again.

What’s the problem with yours?
My stock setup is two bolts that go into the bottom of the window cover. The only problem is inconvenience. You are correct, the bolt mechanism is sitting on a plexi base below the window cover - I hadn't considered their role as a platform for the window cover. I had the idea of not removing the plexi base, as it also provides a good spot to hold the latch clasp (and avoids me putting more holes into the BF).
Old 09-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #4

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Thumbs up

I made the switch to the handles you are looking at. No issues. What is your question?

Here's a previous thread about it https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...hes-74698.html
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Coast Stu View Post
I made the switch to the handles you are looking at. No issues. What is your question?

Here's a previous thread about it https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...hes-74698.html
Thanks for the link Stu. Did you install your latches so the t-handle (rubber part) was attached to the window cover and comes down to the frame, or vice versa like the pics in the link show with the new BF models? Attached is a pic of my current set up.
Attached Thumbnails
20200902_074310.jpg  
Old 09-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #6

Montana
Ah well there you go.

I'm going to replace my piano hinge and see how things line up. For me, I just realized that with the sorry shape of the hinge (it's sagging generally, but is actually starting to break on one side, and has pulled out of 2 or 3 rivets), the latches are probably keeping it from failing completely. So if I have to replace the hinge anyway, I'll see if the latches work afterwards.

If they line up, I'm done! If not, then I'll move on with switching to T-handles.

If it was me, I'd install them the way Bigfoot does. I definitely sat out in front my trailer for awhile looking at what was best, and was definitely worried that if you install them the wrong way, air could easily get up under the cover, release the latch and open on the highway.

Mine are a little different. Same idea though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3530.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	137189

Wouldn't want to leave this unsupported.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3532.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	137190
Old 09-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #7

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC_Adam View Post
Thanks for the link Stu. Did you install your latches so the t-handle (rubber part) was attached to the window cover and comes down to the frame, or vice versa like the pics in the link show with the new BF models? Attached is a pic of my current set up.
I installed with the "T" down like in the pic I posted. My trailer has been to AK and back (Cassiar highway going up), drove the Steese highway and part of the Dalton highway. Plus even rougher roads here in Eastern Oregon. No worries about if it is strong enough. I think either way is fine.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft 1987
Registry
ZachO, my bracket is a bit different but the spring plunger looks the same.

I have one broken latch, missing the spring plunger. If anyone knows where to get the part or has one for sale, please contact me. Otherwise, I may go for the rubber T latch.
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot Latch Complete1.jpg   Bigfoot Latch Broken1.jpg  

John DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #9

Montana
Check out the link Stu posted. It has some links to plunger options.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #10

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John DM View Post
I have one broken latch, missing the spring plunger.
Is there a way to take it apart? You could possibly replace the spring.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot