Tag along - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Interesting Mod for extra storage atached to Scamp by 2 ball hitches and a caster type wheel
Attached Images

Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If you have a trailer behind a trailer YOU NEED TO CUT BACK.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
If you have a trailer behind a trailer YOU NEED TO CUT BACK.
Just last night we were pondering pulling the Boler with the Bigfoot.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Please be advised that this set-up (i.e. two trailers at once) is not legal in all states. I know that in Washington State for example, you would get a ticket for towing this combination down the road (and probably have to unhitch and leave it where you got the ticket for either a tow truck or someone else to haul it further,) as they will not allow you to tow it any further in that configuration. I would caution you to check on the traffic laws of any states you may be planning to visit to avoid any such unpleasant surprises.

Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 46.44.036 states in part, “. . .it is unlawful for any person to operate upon the public highways of this state any combination of vehicles consisting of more than two vehicles. . . .”

The combination of a truck/trailer/trailer (or any two items in tow) is considered a three vehicle combination therefore not legal in Washington State.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I noticed the original poster said there were two ball hitches up front, and a caster wheel at the back. My interpretation of that (which may be flawed), is that it is attached to the trailer as a rigid unit (i.e. it cannot swivel at the hitch, like a trailer).

I wonder how the laws that prohibit towing more than one trailer apply to this? Not that I have any desire to tow such a set-up; I'm just curious.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
I believe this would still considered an additional trailer. The double hitch ball serves to eliminate the problems of backing up, nothing more.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Well Raya,
If you could make that out from that small photo, your eyes are a lot better than mine. I couldn't tell, but the bottom line is that even if it was attached with five trailer hitch balls, it still is not an integral part of the trailer's frame, and as such, is still considered an additional trailer under Washington State law. I'm sure it is acceptable to tow it like that in many states, but WA, for one, ain't one of them. I'm just saying that it would pay to check local state laws before trying to "find out the hard way" that it isn't permitted in a state where your going (or attempting to travel through). It's much easier to avoid such problems ahead of time than to try and figure out what you're going to do with it when the police say "you can't tow it any further like that here". It would tend to ruin your trip (at least it would for me).
Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Those trailers are usually pinned to the tow car or trailer, no balls involved.

They were pretty popular in the 50s - 60s for car camping. A way to bring extra equipment without towing a true trailer. The one wheel is on a 360 degree swivel.

http://www.singlewheel.com/

Here's what probably in the picture;
http://www.aircooledtech.com/single_wheel_trailer/

Yes I'm a trailer geek, I had these sites (and many more) bookmarked.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #9

I threw this out to see what others had to say about it and it seems no one has the same concerns as i have After some thought on where this addition would be in traffic such as a turn on some downtown crowded street so I took my 5er out on the corner of my gravel road an did some drawing on the ground and if you stayed in the center of your lane and made a turn the corner of this unit would extend about a foot and a half into another lane as it is around 20 feet from the center of the trailer wheel to the rear. not a good Thing!!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #10

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Quote:
... the corner of this unit would extend about a foot and a half into another lane as it is around 20 feet from the center of the trailer wheel to the rear. not a good Thing!!
The thing that might save them here is that, if I can see correctly in the picture, it looks like the tagalong is quite a bit narrower than the Scamp. So, it might not actually protrude into the other lane, but it would still certainly come close. I wouldn't want to try a tight turn in heavy downtown traffic! Also keep in mind that this rather large dog-tail is completely on the driver's blind side during a turn.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
That "trailer" photo was taken at our last ScampCamp. It is well designed and well made.
It does have two ball hitches of conventional size. I too wondered if it would be easier to count it as part of the fiver if it were simply bolted square tube to square tube with alowance for vertical movement.
BTW we once owned a 1958 heilite single wheel camper and it did have ball hitches.
They were only 3/4" ball size though.

The owner simply moved his license plate to the back and has not been bothered yet.
I suppose there are plenty who would gasp at such audacity, but the unit is a safe design and I admire their willingness to use it.

I did not measure it at the site, but I am certain that it is not twenty feet from the scamp axle to the back of the tagalong,likely 12ft, certainly no more than 15 .
My guess is that the tagalong is likely 5-6ft long including hitches. this would be barely twice as much overhang as is commonly attached to the rear bumper of a 5er in the form of storage boxes and/or bicycle racks.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
There are companies that sell these. Particularly for pulling motorcycles. They do advertise them as NOT trailers but an extension of the trailer's frame therefore no extra liscence and legal in all states.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Greg Finke wrote:
"Well Raya,
If you could make that out from that small photo, your eyes are a lot better than mine. I couldn't tell, but the bottom line is that even if it was attached with five trailer hitch balls, it still is not an integral part of the trailer's frame, and as such, is still considered an additional trailer under Washington State law."

Greg, here's how I "saw" the two hitch balls and caster wheel

Quote:
atached to Scamp by 2 ball hitches and a caster type wheel
I have no desire or intention to tow such a thing, but if I ever did, I would check into it ahead of time.

I was simply curious if a "non-wagging" tow-behind would be classed the same way as another trailer would be. (Now I know that in Washington it would be illegal.)

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #14

The actual overhang from the center of trailer wheel is 17 feet 6 inches Never the less it does protrude into another lane on tight turns
Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The actual overhang from the center of trailer wheel is 17 feet 6 inches Never the less it does protrude into another lane on tight turns
Thanks Lyndy. I was going to measure Doris's trailer when see stops by on her way home today, but now it won't be necessary. It looks like they could afford to shorten the tongues a little.
You should post a picture of your rear box on this thread to show how you solved the problem without controversy!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #16

It is on here someplace Floyd Under the heading 20 foot Scamp But that brings to mind that i used mine to measure and it is longer than standard by 1 foot so cut the 17.5 to 15.5